Orbi 5G (NBR750, NBK752) How-To / Megathread

How To Tutorials related to Routers and Firmware
Forum rules
This forum is for tutorials only--not for help or assistance.
Didneywhorl

Re: Orbi 5G (NBR750, NBK752) How-To / Megathread

Post by Didneywhorl »

NHeydary wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:09 am ...
I'm stuck here:

PS C:\Users\nemat\Downloads> python
Python 3.12.2 (tags/v3.12.2:6abddd9, Feb 6 2024, 21:26:36) [MSC v.1937 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> telnet-enable2.py 192.168.1.1 [MyMACAddress] admin [MyRouterPW]
File "<stdin>", line 1
telnet-enable2.py 192.168.1.1 [MyMACAddress] admin [MyRouterPW]
^^^^^^^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

The arrows pointing to 192.168. show it as the invalid syntax. What needs to change? That's the IP of the router on the network, my MAC address is put correctly inside the brackets and my router's password is typed correctly inside the brackets following 'admin'.
The telnet-enable.py is an application to be run from the command line, not from the python console.

In your command line application navigate to the folder that has the telnet....py app and then in the command line type in the application name and parameters:

Code: Select all

telnet-enable2.py 192.168.1.1 [MyMACAddress] admin [MyRouterPW]
replace the [MyMACAddress] and [MyRouterPW] with your MAC address and your routers password
NHeydary
Been thanked: 0

Post by NHeydary »

I was putting brackets around my MAC and password and that isn't needed. Also, I used dashes instead of colons in the MAC address and that worked for me. This issue has been resolved.
gilbreen
Has thanked: 0

Post by gilbreen »

jericsmith wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:24 am
helmut wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:54 am
jericsmith wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:12 pm
FYI, the flash has plenty of space so I upgraded modem firmware by sending the most recent file from Quectel over to /tmp via SCP and running QFirehose -f /tmp/firmwaredirectoryname

And yes, after you update the modem firmware to the most recent Quectel branch you will get notices from Netgear that you need to update your modem firmware unless you block the update check servers as outlined in the original post. (The Netgear branch is several versions back as of 6/11/2023)
@jericsmith sorry to revive this, I'm trying to upgrade the fw to R13 without having to take it out. Did you have to install qfirehose on the NBR750?
Any pointers would help. Thanks
Sorry for the late response, but no, literally just SSH'd in after compying the full firmware folder from Quectel as I wrote above. Worked like a charm. I believe it already has QFirehose to manage modem firmware updates from Netgear.
Thanks @jericsmith for the info on how to upgrade the modem. I was able to follow your instructions and the modem was updated to the latest R13 firmware. I appreciate your posting!

@helmut I was able to upgrade the modem, but I had to flash it twice for it to work. I connected to the router using WinSCP and created a new folder called 'firmware' in the tmp folder. I then copied over the following items from the latest R13 firmware folder on my PC to the new 'firmware' folder in tmp - contents.xml, md5.txt and the update folder. I then connected to the router via SSH using putty and then issued the command as given by @jericsmith:

QFirehose -f /tmp/firmware
As @jericsmith said, you don't have to install QFirehose as it seems that Netgear already has it installed. The update doesn't show any progress other than a series of scrolling dots over and over. In my case, the first time I ran the command, it ran for about a minute, but then the putty window closed saying the connection was closed.

The router then rebooted and after a few minutes I could access the router web interface, but it showed no modem installed. I could also connect to the router via SSH, but no modem information returned when I issued the at+qgmr command. I noticed the 'firmware' folder was deleted from the tmp folder so I decided to try the upgrade once more.

I then realized I forgot to remove my SIM before doing the upgrade. I recalled that when upgrading the firmware on another modem, the instructions said to remove the SIM before the process. So I shut down the router, removed the SIM and restarted the router. Once I could connect, I again created the 'firmware' folder in the tmp folder and copied the same items from the R13 firmware folder and issued the same command again via SSH. I again saw the scrolling dots again, but this time after a minute or so, the dots stopped and it returned to the # prompt and then putty reported the connection was closed. I waited as the router rebooted, then reconnected and then issued the command to check the modem firmware:

echo -ne "at+qgmr\r\n" | microcom -X -t 1000 /dev/ttyUSB2
and the modem reported:

RM502QAEAAR13A04M4G_01.201.01.201
Success! Again, thanks to everyone's help on this thread. And especially all of the hard work by @hazarjast. It is much appreciated!
jrtelecom

Post by jrtelecom »

Any diference or stability on this R13 modem firmware?
gilbreen
Has thanked: 0

Post by gilbreen »

jrtelecom wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:09 pm Any diference or stability on this R13 modem firmware?
It is about as stable as it was before but it contains some security fixes which I figured couldn't hurt. I mainly did it because I was still using the last Netgear official firmware which was several versions back from the current release. My upload speeds have gone up from 10 to 30, but I don't know if that is completely contributable to the update or just better signal from the tower.
jrtelecom

Post by jrtelecom »

Looking for the correct command to disable LTE for troubleshooting. Thanxs
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

jrtelecom wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:52 pm Looking for the correct command to disable LTE for troubleshooting. Thanxs
if it has a qualcomm cpu (I think it does x55) just use offline-D mode
you can get to it by sending the dm command 290100
you may need to send the spc first if it does not respond send the spc like this 41 30 30 30 30 30 30
then manually reboot or send the dm cmd 290200 to reboot it
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

jrtelecom wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:52 pm Looking for the correct command to disable LTE for troubleshooting. Thanxs
The full AT command manual can be found here:
https://www.quectel.com/wp-content/uplo ... l_V1.2.pdf

I'm not sure in which context you wish to disable LTE so I've included a couple relevant AT commands in microcom syntax below which may be helpful:

echo -ne "AT+CFUN=0\r\n" | microcom -X -t 1000 /dev/ttyUSB2
(Switch modem to minimum functionality; will disconnect modem from carrier)

echo -ne "AT+CFUN=1\r\n" | microcom -X -t 1000 /dev/ttyUSB2
(Switch modem to online mode; should reconnect to the carrier)

echo -ne "AT+QNWPREFCFG=\"mode_pref\",NR5G\r\n" | microcom -X -t 1000 /dev/ttyUSB2
(Switch modem to 5G SA only; this disables the modem from connecting to LTE or 5G NSA)
jrtelecom

Post by jrtelecom »

hazarjast wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:18 pm
The full AT command manual can be found here:
https://www.quectel.com/wp-content/uplo ... l_V1.2.pdf

I'm not sure in which context you wish to disable LTE so I've included a couple relevant AT commands in microcom syntax below which may be helpful:

echo -ne "AT+CFUN=0\r\n" | microcom -X -t 1000 /dev/ttyUSB2
(Switch modem to minimum functionality; will disconnect modem from carrier)

echo -ne "AT+CFUN=1\r\n" | microcom -X -t 1000 /dev/ttyUSB2
(Switch modem to online mode; should reconnect to the carrier)

echo -ne "AT+QNWPREFCFG=\"mode_pref\",NR5G\r\n" | microcom -X -t 1000 /dev/ttyUSB2
(Switch modem to 5G SA only; this disables the modem from connecting to LTE or 5G NSA)
Thank you so much, just exactly what i was looking for.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Rich Hathaway wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:13 pm
if it has a qualcomm cpu (I think it does x55) just use offline-D mode
you can get to it by sending the dm command 290100
you may need to send the spc first if it does not respond send the spc like this 41 30 30 30 30 30 30
then manually reboot or send the dm cmd 290200 to reboot it

Wow, those commands SPC 41 3x 3x 3x 3x 3x 3x along with NV read 0x26 and write 0x27 brings back some great memories from the CDMA days. I still have a frozen copy of the latest v3.9.0 CDMA Workshop in Win7 via hibernation before the authorization server went down, still usable today. :)
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

wow I really mis cdmaws, I used it more than any other tool, my background is in cdma.
im going to send you a pm about something.

Return to “Tutorials”