SIM Unlocked MR6500 - Return to stock (or conversion to 6550) possible?

Topics for Netgear Nighthawks MRxxxx Series Hotspots
dfkinca

SIM Unlocked MR6500 - Return to stock (or conversion to 6550) possible?

Post by dfkinca »

I have a SIM-unlocked Netgear MR6500. Out of warranty. Was running (well), until recent sluggishness caused me to factory reset device.

After physical factory reset of device (pushed paperclip end into "reset" hole; held for 10 seconds to allow to reboot), subsequent device reboots result in the "NETGEAR" logo screen coming on, and staying on (or, screen turning off after 5-8 minutes - depends on reboot cycle). The full-fledged device GUI never comes back up.

I believe that the firmware for my device got updated (without my consent) and/or corrupted (i.e., as has been reported with that lousy firmware update that got pushed to MR6500 devices in Q2 2023), with some kind of partial update.

If I could access my device's GUI, I could initiate a firmware update (per the steps found at netgear support links). But, since my device cannot get past the "NETGEAR" logo screen, I cannot access the device GUI.

I can access the firmware downloader screen (i.e., plug in device while holding device power button and battery being out; I get the "Downloading Software" screen). So, if I had a downloaded version of the firmware (i.e., .spk file), whether the initial firmware from the factory or the latest firmware identified (but not made available for download) at netgear support forums, and an appropriate firmware flashing tool (e.g., fdt.exe), I could re-flash my device from the firmware downloader screen. But, since I do not have, and do not know where to get, the downloaded version of the firmware (even the initial firmware from the factory would be fine, as I could allow updates to happen OTA) or the flashing tool, I cannot restore my device.

I am looking for assistance on how to get my device working again. I would prefer the initial firmware from the factory (and allow update OTAs to proceed in due course), but I will settle for any firmware version that makes my device operational again. Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I am aware of the anecdote of flashing MR6500 with MR6400 firmware, but I don't want to lose mmWave capability, so I prefer to hold off on doing that except as method of last resort.
Rich Hathaway

Re: SIM Unlocked MR6500 - Return to stock (or conversion to 6550) possible?

Post by Rich Hathaway »

I made an spk for this device last week and have only used it one time, if your device was updated to the current version it may have trouble being downgraded as I believe it is fuzed now, not positive as I do not have this device only have worked on a couple of them like this remotely. If I ever get one I will tell you for sure if it is or not.
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

my build is based off of 10.04.22.01 and I took it from MR6500-1A1NAS
it has all ports enabled and openmep and openlock enabled
that does not mean it will load on your device but since Iknow you have a way back if it does not we can try to load it and see how you get along with it.
1A1NAS firm.PNG
you can see it is the mr6500pro version

1A1NAS firm2.PNG
1A1NAS firm3.PNG

I will make a 6550 build if I ever get my hands on one of them and we can try it on 6500
I got a 6500 coming to me now but will only have it for a day or 2 then it has to go back
but ill know shortly after I get it if the 6400 and 6150 firm will run on it or not
also I made system and modem files from it that may be an easier way to downgrade it if the bl is not allowing full spk downgrade.
Would prob just need to make a file or way to get to fastboot for that to work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dfkinca

Post by dfkinca »

Thanks for the info.

Your 6500 build (or even 6550 build, should that ever develop) sound intriguing; I am interested (and will reach out via PM). Does your 6500 build block additional FW updates?

Re the 6400 or 6150 build on 6500 device, do you have any concerns about e-fuze being triggered and device not being able to be rolled back to 6500 build? I reference a reddit post where I saw a user say that mmWave functionality was lost with this kind of flash (and I would HATE to lose this mmWave functionality permanently due to inability to roll back).

Thanks.
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

dfkinca wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:14 pm Your 6500 build (or even 6550 build, should that ever develop) sound intriguing; I am interested (and will reach out via PM). Does your 6500 build block additional FW updates?

Thanks.
No but thats easy to turn off.

dfkinca wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:14 pm?
I reference a reddit post where I saw a user say that mmWave functionality was lost with this kind of flash
mmwave is handled by the modem partition so I would think if they lost it it would have been because however they reloaded the firmware ( I assume spk) either did not have or did not write the 6500 modem part back to it, I will say this, not all spk's are complete some do not have all parts and are just updates and not complete firmwares.
having said that once downgraded it should have all ports or at least the ability to open them by command meaning fastboot is achievable once again which gives yet another way to load firmware onto these devices, and I do have ubi's made up for it also to load this way.

last night I finished up a build for 10.01.31.01 for mr6500 but I have yet to load it on one.
PCFreckle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by PCFreckle »

I'm a new user so I can't PM you, but I'd love to see about loading your build as well. Please feel to PM me if you see this. :)
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

some people pm and ask so I will answer globally here.
as of right now, I have not made any modifications other than enabled ports, working openmep & openlock querys to this firmware, I do have it broken down to its root folder and I will be "playing" with it at some point but have not yet.
dfkinca

Post by dfkinca »

Rich Hathaway wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:00 pm if your device was updated to the current version it may have trouble being downgraded as I believe it is fuzed now, not positive as I do not have this device only have worked on a couple of them like this remotely. If I ever get one I will tell you for sure if it is or not.
I am interested in seeing if my device (now upgraded (unfortunately) to current SW version; no OPENMEP available) can be downgraded to your modded FW.

Please PM me if you need a device with current version (mine) to be made available to you (whether sent or done remotely), so that you can test whether potential "fuzed" status precludes it from taking the downgrade. I have already PMd you on this.

Thanks.
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

Ok thanks so let me ask you this what ports does your device give you when it is in a Windows environment? This would be easily done remotely by loading my Ubi's if you can find your way to fastboot mode, or if it has an ADB port which I am sure it does not in its current state and with no openmep its not going there that way now either, if we are stuck loading it with my spk it would need to be mailed in and if we end up having to go that route Ill try to find a workaround for others to get to fastboot on these later platforms with it blocked.
so to know you are in fastboot mode, in Windows, if you have the Android driver installed already the pc will see the device as "Android" in the device manager when in fastboot mode but if you do not have the proper driver it will only show one port with a yellow !
it may say MR6500 or something else. You can query the fastboot device in Windows or Linux by sending this simple command in a Windows cmd prompt or terminal in Linux

"fastboot devices" <----without the " "

if it returns the serial number your in fb mode if it returns nothing your either not or possibly are without a proper driver.

on the device itself fastboot mode is a black screen where the device is in its bootloader mode, most devices these days can go to fb by holding the reset button while power is applied then keep holding reset until your pc dings which is about 5 seconds, on sierra devices, however, they go to download mode with this method, which is not good for this purpose since there is no known good loader (ENPRG or NPRG_SDX65) yet.

Return to “Nighthawks MR1100 - MR5200 (M1...M5...)”