obstruction issue | CBA850LP6 with 2x omni SMA paddle & 1 FPC

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
cnicks312
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

obstruction issue | CBA850LP6 with 2x omni SMA paddle & 1 FPC

Post by cnicks312 »

Long story short, I'm experiencing an issue of cellular signal obstruction because I'm surrounded, on all sides that matter, by a wall of 40 ft tall pine trees and increasing foliage as we enter the month of June.

I'm concerned about my download speeds.

My equipment:
Cradlepoint CBA850LP6
Modem: Sierra Wireless MC7455
Main antenna: Cradlepoint omnidirectional SMA paddle antenna
Aux antenna: Cradlepoint omnidirectional SMA paddle antenna
GPS antenna: WWAN aux (blue cable) FPC antenna from a Lenovo X230 laptop (Part no: 04w1409) used adhesive to paste it to the window.
Data plan
Provider: Verizon
Plan: 5G Play More
Imei: Cradlepoint thinks that it's my old Motorola Z2 Play
TTL: pfSense firewall behind cradlepoint has a modified /etc/inc/filter.inc with 'min-ttl' set to 65. I've noticed that this breaks tracert.
Modem is in NAT mode, so I'm assuming the TTL gets decremented to 64 before egressing.
Current placement
Modem is affixed to the Southwest facing kitchen window (inside) with 3M hooks. The window has two layers of glass.
Connection
LTE band: B4 LTE bw: 20 MHz
LTE Rx chan: 2050 LTE Tx chan: 20050
LTE Scell band: B13 LTE Scell bw: 10 MHz
LTE Scell chan: 5230

I am living 2.31 miles East (79°) from the cell tower with -46.9 ft Δ elevation (going from the tower to home).
Peak congestion time is usually around 5 PM as the cell tower is positioned near a tollway.

Side note: I'm not sure how often this is the case, but I could not find this cell tower in the FAA database nor the FCC database.
The property that it's built on is for sale (per physical sign outside the property), but the listing does not exist on the realtor's web page.
Just thought that was odd ...

The fastest my connection has ever been was a few days before Christmas while it was -3°F, my connection speed shot up to 144 Mbps.

I did speed tests outside on the South-facing porch on the second story using my cell phone (same provider & data plan as my modem).
UE is potentially obstructed by foliage in this position.

Results were:
37 Mbps download
7 Mbps upload
RSRP -104 dBm
at 8:41 pm

Then I went outside the enclosing perimeter of the pine trees.
Line of sight clears up dramatically. (Although I don't think I can actually see the tower.)

Results were:
94 Mbps download
34 Mbps upload
RSRP -92 dBm
at 8:46 pm

I also made sure that the serving cell id was the same for both tests.

Let's assume that I can do what I like with the land that falls just outside the perimeter of the pine trees.

I'd like to either
1. Set up an antenna with a 100 ft SMA cable that connects directly back to my modem.
2. Set up my modem in an outdoor weather-proof enclosure and simply run a 100 ft cat6 Ethernet (might need STP?) to a POE injector in my home.

I'm asking:
1. Of the two above options, which is better?
(Fastest speeds, lowest cost, least maintenance, least likely to have me running outside in a hail storm to fix stuff?)

2. I also want to know if there is anything I haven't thought of.
For example, maybe a directional antenna?
Maybe I should try a provider where the cell tower is in the opposite direction?

When I run AT+COPS? here is the output:

(2,"Verizon ","Verizon ","311480",7),
(1,"U.S.Cellular","USCC","311580",7),
(1,"AT&T","AT&T","310410",7),
(1,"313 100","313 100","313100",7),
(1,"T-Mobile","T-Mobile","310260",7),
(1,"311 490","311 490","311490",7),
(1,"311 589","311 589","311589",7),
(1,"311 588","311 588","311588",7)

3. Also, I believe the Cradlepoint, as advertised on The Wireless Haven, is supposed to be able to connect to Verizon 'XLTE' which is supposed to be 2x20 Mhz.
That being said, I have no idea whether it was ever deployed where I'm living.
I have carrier aggregation working, but it's B4 20 Mhz + B13 10 Mhz.
I ran AT+LTECA? and saw the following:

Prune_ca_combos:
2A-13A-0 2A-13A-1 13A-2A-0 13A-2A-1
4A-13A-0 13A-4A-0

Does this mean that carrier aggregation combo '4A-13A-0' is not implemented/disabled? Is there a way to change this?

I'm impressed that you've read this far. Your tireless, unyielding patience will serve you well. Thank you!
Didneywhorl

Re: obstruction issue | CBA850LP6 with 2x omni SMA paddle & 1 FPC

Post by Didneywhorl »

I like enclosure builds, and the cba850 was made for it really.

If you don't want/need directional high power antennas, you can pop it into an enclosure like the one below and be done. Then if you want to add the antennas, just mod the box for connectors and add a few short cables to the antennas.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/enclo ... osure-kit/
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Not sure on #3 tbh
cnicks312
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by cnicks312 »

Is there any reason why this enclosure wouldn't work?

https://satellitesale.net/collections/i ... 9247992902

I'm trying to determine what I'd get for the extra $60 I'd pay at The Wireless Haven. Does it come equipped with the mounting pole?

Are you saying that I shouldn't use the antennas that I already have if I'm putting my modem inside the enclosure? Does the enclosure come with antennas?

Also, I've determined that there's an AT&T tower that is 1.50 miles W (270°) and +46.1 ft Δ elevation from me. Maybe I'll try my luck with them.

Thanks again
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Those kinds of enclosures are cool for projects, nothing overtly wrong with them. I don't like the foam inserts on the bottom like those; personal preference. They are "weatherproof" but not really fully sealed; and not critter proof. It'll be full of spiders and whatnot in one season.
Also, there doesn't seem to be any mounting hardware. I think they are meant to be on a flat wall with screws? Some do like the door style to easily open them.

The Wireless Haven ones are fully sealed and IP67 rated weathertight. They also come with a robust articulating mast mounting system, allowing them to basically be positioned or even kind of "aimed". Overall you are paying for a more stout enclosure with mounting system for flat wall or mast mount, it also comes with some PCB mounts and a sealed RJ45 Bulkhead for your data connection.

You would mount your CBA850 with it's antennas all inside the box. Basically just drop er in all together.

You can also add one of these to the box and never have to pop open the enclosure for SIM swaps (or two for the LP6 modem):
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/acces ... -extender/

Return to “Cellular Antennas”