Advice on Quectel RM-520N-GL and provider checks

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
miller778
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Advice on Quectel RM-520N-GL and provider checks

Post by miller778 »

Hi ,

I would like to use a Quectel RM-520N-GL in my own router. What is the current situation of not certified host devices on the networks like Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile as of today?

I do not wish to modify the module IMEI, so is it still possible to use the module on the networks? It seems like Verizon is very strict, followed by AT&T and T-Mobile with no enforcement of IMEI checks.

Would it work on all networks just to activate with a certified IMEI and later swapping the SIM to Quectel? I plan to use just standard prepaid plans with moderate/low data usage.

Thanks!
Didneywhorl

Re: Advice on Quectel RM-520N-GL and provider checks

Post by Didneywhorl »

Tmobile business internet is your best bet. All carriers, Tmobile included, check the imei against the device type on the account. If that device doesn't match your plan type it will either request to update your plan to a matching plan type, or shut your line off. Verizon is the most aggressive with this, Tmobile the least.

The carriers have shown zero interest in approving individual modem modules for data plan use. They seem to be more interested in device makers paying ungodly money to pass their "beyond FCC" level testing requirements, then requiring ongoing licensing/registration costs. It's their network, so their rules I guess. Keeps the big players in and the little guys out (for now).

Return to “Quectel Modems”