MR5200 data usage identified as Hotspot data

Topics for Netgear Nighthawks MRxxxx Series Hotspots
deeperblue
Has thanked: 0

MR5200 data usage identified as Hotspot data

Post by deeperblue »

I recently purchased a MR5200 and did the magic repair using IMEE from the old Galaxy A51 phone that I have. Today my home internet was broken so I used the Verision sim card inside of MR5200.

To my surprise, this data is treated as hotspot data by Verizon! Even with the magic repair! My hotspot monthly limit is 5G, which was reached today (basically in 1 day because I use it for work and online video meetings).

When I logged into my Verizon account, it shows that my old Galaxy A51 is using 0 data so far! (I am not using this phone now rather than I need its IMEI number)

Really surprised!

Do you have similar experience as well?

Thanks!
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: MR5200 data usage identified as Hotspot data

Post by JimHelms »

IMEI is only half the equation. You will also need to change the TTL value.

From my experience and unless something has changed, Verizon requires to a TTL of 65 or 117.

Not familiar with the process of changing the TTL on the MR5200--but I feel certain another member can share directions.
deeperblue

Post by deeperblue »

This is instructions on how to change TTL for MR1100. https://parkercs.tech/netgear-mr1100-hotspot/

So I tried the same thing on MR5200. After following the instructions setting the TTL to either 64 or 65, it still doesn't work, I am still throttled as using hotspot data.

Any idea how I can solve it?
Thanks!
deeperblue

Post by deeperblue »

I think it works for me now. Even when you do the iptable mangle thing as suggested in https://parkercs.tech/netgear-mr1100-hotspot/, it seems that MR5200 doesn't auto run that script on boot, so I have to append the following lines to /etc/init/early_init.sh:

Code: Select all

#TTL modification
sleep 0.5
sh /etc/init.d/ttl.sh

Return to “Nighthawks MR1100 - MR5200 (M1...M5...)”