Need help picking 5g router

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
spooked321
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need help picking 5g router

Post by spooked321 »

Hello, parents recently moved somewhere pretty remote and I'm trying to help get them set up with some decent internet.

Currently, I have them set up with a Calyx 5g sim and the Mifi hotspot it comes with, it performs decently but shows it only gets around 1 to 2 bars with 5g and about 20 Megabits down and 5 up. I've found that there is a 5g tower ~4 miles away from the house so I'm thinking with something like a waveform directional antenna they may be able to get better speeds.

From doing a little research I've read that you can't pull the sim out of the Mifi hotspot and slap it into whatever device you'd like as it is locked to the IMEI.

Further reading on here as well as some posts on Reddit have suggested that you can spoof/change the IMEI to match the one on the mifi hotspot.

I was looking at the Cudy P5 but I am unsure if it would be possible to do the IMEI spoof with that model and furthermore what routers I general I should be looking at for this use case.

I am very much noob when it comes to this so any insight or recommendations on what router I should get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS I am aware swapping the sim is against TOS for calyx
gscheb

Re: Need help picking 5g router

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Rather you get a new 5G Router or not will still need antennas to improve the signal strength. So would start there first. With outdoor antennas might even find things are fine with the MiFi device.
Might want to also check out T-Mobile home internet for the future. Which would also benefit from having antennas hooked to it.
spooked321

Post by spooked321 »

gscheb wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:44 pm Hello,
Rather you get a new 5G Router or not will still need antennas to improve the signal strength. So would start there first. With outdoor antennas might even find things are fine with the MiFi device.
Might want to also check out T-Mobile home internet for the future. Which would also benefit from having antennas hooked to it.
Certainly, I've been looking at the waveform 4x4 Panel antenna but would still prefer an actual router as opposed to the MiFi hotspot.

I have looked into the T-mobile internet but their site says it's not available for the area.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

I didn't do this. But allot of people have used a different address to get the T-Mobile service.
spooked321

Post by spooked321 »

gscheb wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:19 pm I didn't do this. But allot of people have used a different address to get the T-Mobile service.
I might look into doing this in the future but we already have the calyx sim so I'm still looking for a router for it
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Never bought a 5G router before. Can't advise on that one.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Are you looking to build a unit or get one off the shelf ready to go?

Peplink make some good equipment

https://www.peplink.com/technolgy/what- ... th-peplink

Also see https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop
spooked321

Post by spooked321 »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:34 pm Are you looking to build a unit or get one off the shelf ready to go?

Peplink make some good equipment

https://www.peplink.com/technolgy/what- ... th-peplink

Also see https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop
I'm looking to get one off the shelf, would the wirelesshaven routers work with a calyx sim?

Return to “General and Unclassified”