Upgrade for a MF279?

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Brand
Has thanked: 0

Upgrade for a MF279?

Post by Brand »

So I am currently on a AT&T plan the "AT&T Unlimited Plus Multi Line Plan" and the current router that I have is the Mf279, im looking to upgrade to a better hotspot router and im having trouble finding everything I need to be looking for. (I was told this would be the place to get help)

Ive been looking at a few different routers but im not really sure which one I should be looking at. Im on a pretty tight budget and I really want to be sure it is going to be worth it to purchase a better router. Currently im getting 102dbm with this router and I have it mounted to a window and im using an either-net cable to my pc, Im getting 7mbs on download and 15mbs on upload and its 10:30pm here.

Ive been looking at the NETGEAR Nighthawk M1 4G, NETGEAR LB1121, and the Cudy AC1200. Im not 100% sure if my plan is 5g capable but my phone is saying that it is running on 5g and it is on that same plan as my hotspot router.

I know the plan isn't available anymore but I have been grandfathered into the plan that im on, I also called AT&T and I asked them if I bring my own router in that I bought that they could put a sim card in it... so, is it worth upgrading to a new router or should I just keep this router and work with it?

Please if there are any suggestions about routers or what I should do I am completely open to it, im not completely informed on all of this stuff so thanks for any help I can get.
Didneywhorl

Re: Upgrade for a MF279?

Post by Didneywhorl »

The M1 can be the lowest cost for the most performance if you have a straight drop in hotspot SIM card, but I wouldn't buy any used ones. Most are Blacklisted by ATT; or at the least get a guarantee on it and an foolproof way to get a refund if needed.
Otherwise I would go with a modifiable openWRT based system fromThe Wireless Haven

Your budget is going to determine the level of equipment. If you want 5G, you are looking at $500-$600 and up.
The MF279 I believe is cat3 or cat4, so pretty much anything cat4 and above will match or beat your MF279 performance in most cases.
Brand
Has thanked: 0

Re: Upgrade for a MF279?

Post by Brand »

Well, I bought a pre owned M1 from Mercari last night and hopefully its not black listed, their policy states that if the product does not work I can receive a refund on the product... hopefully I made the right decision.

Return to “General and Unclassified”