EM160R Specify Transmit Band

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
aidwilli
Been thanked: 0

EM160R Specify Transmit Band

Post by aidwilli »

Hi, I have upgraded to a wg1608 with a EM160R-GL modem. The modem will CA on b2 and b12 or with b12 and b30. The download speeds are great but the upload goes very low because the modem is trying to upload on the higher frequency band. I want to specify that it needs to upload on b12. Is this possible? I looked in the AT command book for the modem but didn't see what I needed. I can link that if needed. Thanks for the help.

Also, I have crappy signal but can get workable upload speeds if I lock the modem onto b12 but the d/l speeds are lower than desired on that band.
macuseri686

Re: EM160R Specify Transmit Band

Post by macuseri686 »

so, its not technically possible to specify which band gets used as the primary band (upload and download) vs the carrier aggregation bands (only download), but ive figured out a neat trick to make it work.

lock the modem to the primary band, but dont specify a second band to lock to. the modem will forcibly connect using that band initially and then grab whatever is left for CA. you can do this in the miscellaneous page under modem in the sidebar. then look for the section that says "Lock to a Single Cell". just put in only the EARFCN 1 and PCI 1 of the band that you want to use for upload.

also, if youre trying to improve upload speed, this thread here might be helpful: viewtopic.php?p=25980
aidwilli

Post by aidwilli »

macuseri686 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:06 am so, its not technically possible to specify which band gets used as the primary band (upload and download) vs the carrier aggregation bands (only download), but ive figured out a neat trick to make it work.

lock the modem to the primary band, but dont specify a second band to lock to. the modem will forcibly connect using that band initially and then grab whatever is left for CA. you can do this in the miscellaneous page under modem in the sidebar. then look for the section that says "Lock to a Single Cell". just put in only the EARFCN 1 and PCI 1 of the band that you want to use for upload.

also, if youre trying to improve upload speed, this thread here might be helpful: viewtopic.php?p=25980
Thanks. I'll try it. I was going the AT+QCFE="lteprior",12,12,12 route but it didn't stay consistent.
aidwilli

Post by aidwilli »

I set it up the way you told me to, macuseri686. For anyone wondering how I found EARCFN 1 and PCI 1, it was like this:
I used the GUI to lock onto only the band I wanted to serve as my primary band, then ran the following command:
AT+QCFE="servingcell"
This displays the following information (separated by commas):
state
"lte"
mode
Plmn (first half)
Plmn (second half)
CELL ID
PCID
earcfn
freq band
UL Bandwidth
DL Bandwidth
TAC
RSRP
RSRQ
RSSI
SINR
CQI
tx power
srxlev

I don't know what all that stuff means but EARCFN and PCID are right there in the list.
Hope this helps someone.
macuseri686

Post by macuseri686 »

also, if you run a "Scan to Find Bands Available in Area" using the gui below it will list those values for you with each band's signal strength

Return to “Quectel Modems”