X55 T99W175 modem

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
punkguy00017

X55 T99W175 modem

Post by punkguy00017 »

Will this modem work in my 1608 router interested in purchasing one of these
Didneywhorl

Re: X55 T99W175 modem

Post by Didneywhorl »

No idea. There is a group of peeps on Facebook that like messing with modems like that one I think.
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

I read up on it and it doesn't support usb mode only pcie
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

That's 100% no go for any openWRT router that I know of, like the 1608, as they all use the USB bus for modem interface.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

"That's 100% no go for any openWRT router that I know of, like the 1608, as they all use the USB bus for modem interface." That they use USB bus was suspected by me..
A couple of odd items versions of ModemManager do support: * Foxconn SDX55 T99W175 5G sub6 PCIE Modem and the latest openwrt uses near latest ModemManager if using ModemManager..
Also checking the logs I can see there is PCI bus infratructure.

While they say "5. Built-in USB3.0 MINI-PCIE interface to install 4G modules to support 3G & 4G functions.And also built-in USB3.0 M.2 interface to install 5G module to support 5G function. It can be only chose one of 4G and 5G modes. Can not support 4G and 5G at the same time."

There was also part thay would indicate it can run PCIE: under Specification: 4.1 Hardware interface introduction
"M.2 Interface : Built-in M.2 slot, support PCIE and USB3.0 bus"
Otherwise gather openWRT can run on a PC so if can sort free pc can install it or linux on could check further..
Am unable to test 1608 futher as have 32m version so cant use openwrt yet and what i can use has too old if a modemmanager..
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Let us know if you get one running in pure pci mode. I'd love to find a working solution for this particular subject.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Will do!

Further OpenWrt can see on github .com /openwrt/openwrt/pull/10434 that they are working on support for ramips: mt7621: add support for Zbtlink ZBT-WG1608 32M
So hope it wont be too long..

Have an adapter on the way so that I can test it in my windows mini pc as well.. (pain I sold off my full PC's earlier in the year).. But PC's lunux or windows have full drivers so a lot more power when trying to troubleshoot.. Also been looking for another HP system on the cheep that can test on as there seems to be an issue with a refurbed one that I had and it didnt register it at all.

Bit of a pain, the mini only has NGFF M.2 m-key, M.2 A+e Key..
Found a modem converter for NGFF M.2 key M to Mini PCI-E Adapter With SIM and already have converters for PCI-E to M.2 B-Key (Nice part of the converter it that it has a Jumper setting select either PCIe or SATA signals so know its in the right mode and supports what I am wanting..
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I have NEVER found a proper PCI modem adapter for the PC. Let me know if you get a good one.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

What interface and what do you want it to convert too?
Will keep an eye open..
Have been using a USB to mini pcie interface with sim for years.. Works great for using my 4G modem on the PC and also been using it in the usb port on WG1608 32M while invetigating.. Wanted to make the move to m.2 as the modems of interest in upgrade path are all going that way..
Did find a converter realy would have liked that was a single m-key > b-key with sim but they wanted 60$ to ship it..

Challenge with the HP/Lenoxo etc T99W175 modem is that they have no USB funtion/connection.. If was able to get the full version then it can use usb as well.. So would also need to know what ports you PC has.. I am working with onboard m.2 on my mini pc
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

See my posts in this thread for details about what is needed and adapters and such:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=3570

I have two of the T99W175 modems. I have the Lenovo and HP. The HP is harder to get going than the others as it does not have MHI support as of yet. With the proper adapter the lenovo works in both Windows and latest Linux/ModemManager. The HP works with all if you build MHI driver with its VID:PID. OpenWrt-ModemManager also works if you build latest master and also use latest kernel with MHI driver edits.

This was using MiniPC with mPCIe port and an adapter. Most laptops/minipc do NOT have the M.2 Key B slot with "pcie" lanes and only have the USB lanes wired up. What you can also do is use 2 adapters. The referenced adapter in the link above (m.2 to mpcie) and insert it into an "mcpie to m.2 Key AE" adapter. You end up with an adapter in an adapter but it does work and the m.2 key AE is much more popular.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

cool thanks for that info!! I had been looking over that thread and in re-reading noticed I missed a couple of things..
Already have the "Ableconn MPEX-134B" Mini PCIe Adapter too M.2 Key B Slot with sim, have a converter on the way to allow it to plug into my Win mini pc.
At a catch 22 with my routers.. The older while can run latested goodies think it does not have needed pci on the Mini PCIe port while the new is not yet suported on openwrt and what I can run unfortunetly is not up to date enough..
Hopfully in a few weeks will get to see my next leep in progress.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

I started with all types of routers up to my last the WRT32x which is about as fast as they get. I was still being limited by hardware so jumped to "minipc" and never looked back. The MiniPC's can be much more powerful and can come with many more options such as mPCIe port (with pcie and usb lanes). Great little x86 boxes for running things such as OMR/LINUX/WINDOWS10/OPENWRT. Then you can build the latest and greatest x86 version of whichever OS you need and have hardware faster than any router. Just takes more effort if your willing to play and do the work its worth it in the end IMO.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

most interesting and excellent! Sounds similar to my path Been through a good few routers over the years and started with needing stable LTE broadband while on the road and has morphed into trying to get it more robust for bad signal areas via having a master node high or some distance of so was looking to something that could handle a fibre cable.. Also the pain of so few routers with m.2 ports!
For a good few years have been looking for something that had really good performance as also want to use it for a couple of other applications.. had started looking at more pc level things in the last year as the quest has shown routers just have not been keeping up with tech and performance!
With this last fun and now waiting for openwrt will def. be moving to mini PC when have the budget.
If had had the budget earlier in the year there was one would have loved to get and play with (well until I found out more).. plenty network perf with 10gig fibre ports in the form of 2/4 10G SFP+ and m.2 b-key! One item they held me back was in talking to them the mentioned the performance cap on the m.2 port and it was at a level that i suspect they had it connected through USB 3.x port.. "M.2 B key 3052 x 1 (USB3.0) with SIM slot" They replied "For FWS-2365 M.2 B Key USB 3.0 (5G) maximum speed is 1G, if is for USB 2.0 (4G LTE) maximum speed 480Mbps."
Was a let-down but now glad. I asked them to reach out to eng and re-confirm as the other ports claim to also have PCI structure but they never got back to me..
My other path was to look at the HP mini systems as there was some nice abilities to add a full PCI card for other components into them.. Will deff do a re-check when next have some free cash!
Edit: lol typoes cleaned up.. Tied from a week of roofing and cutting vallie tiles.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Woot! Round 1: success.
=Confirmed the modem is not DOA..

The converter had ordered arrived a week early so was able to complete the testing on the mini-PC Windows... Will be testing other adapter combinations to check what does and does not working. for now..
System has
key m - Support 2*M.2 2280 NVME/PCIE3.0x4/SATA SSD+1*2.5 inch SATA HDD/SSD. (normaly had NVME 1gig storage)
Key A+E - Support 2.5G&1G Dual RJ45 Lans+M.2 2230 WiFi/Bluetooth module.

T99W175 modem is - key b

Converter just got: key m too Mini PCI-E Adapter with sim..
Already had: Mini PCI-E Adapter too key b with sim (Ableconn MPEX-134B)

Initially modem was seen but was not seeing the sim.. tried sims in both cards and didn’t help. Tried with sims in both..
=Closer inspection and check of Ableconn MPEX-134B.. It does not have the angle section in the sim socket so the sim can go and click in either way around. When turned it and had the angle side visible on the outside then the sim was seen.
Result, was able to connect and browse the web and ran a speed test that confirmed was the correct ISP detected.

Next tests
A) With finding the other adapter is not working will try the Ableconn MPEX-134B in my older router as had only tested with it. Suspect it does not have needed pci but best to confirm..
B) Have another converter on the way: Key A+E too Mini PCI-E Adapter.. Wanting to test this as good few of the systems have been looking at do have a Key A+E WiFi/Bluetooth module but do not have any other m.2.. If can get it working on there then it would add to possible config options.

Confirmed not working: (will re-check when have time)
-M.2 Key B to Mini PCI-e Adapter NGFF M2 to Mini PCI Express PCIe for 3G 4G 5G Module for Full-size Half-size MPCIe Slots (No Sim)
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

FYI, if you search amazon for:
Mini PCI-E to M.2(NGFF ) Key A/E Adapter with SIM Card Slot
sold by Timack is confirmed working. You can use this adapter along with the Ableconn Key B adapter you have and it will work in M.2 Key A/E slots.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Thanks always good to know of any others that work :)

One challenge with it is of all the other systems I have those ports are jamed in very very tight space and in Half-size format :( Its the pain so when have the time will be looking for one with an Extender Cable were they have a Half-size /Full-size and a cable connect..
IE: Mini PCI-E/mSATA to Mini PCIe Flexible Extender Cable With SIM Card Slot for Mini Card WIFI WWAN WLAN Module for MSATA SSD OR
M.2 NGFF Key A/E/A+E to Mini PCI-E Adapter FPC Cable WiFi Wireless Adpater Supports Half-size Full-size Mini PCI-E Network Card
Nice part of it is can then mount the adapters in a more convenient location..

Working on re-installing an old laptop to play with both Openwrt and Linux build to compair and see what will be of interest and ready for a later round..
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

mtl26637 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:01 pm I started with all types of routers up to my last the WRT32x which is about as fast as they get. I was still being limited by hardware so jumped to "minipc" and never looked back. The MiniPC's can be much more powerful and can come with many more options such as mPCIe port (with pcie and usb lanes). Great little x86 boxes for running things such as OMR/LINUX/WINDOWS10/OPENWRT. Then you can build the latest and greatest x86 version of whichever OS you need and have hardware faster than any router. Just takes more effort if your willing to play and do the work its worth it in the end IMO.
quick questions.. What LINUX version would you think would be the best fot router/firewall as alternative to openwrt??
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

I used ubuntu. Once installed and updated search on the ubuntu wiki for 'BuildYourOwnKernel' and follow the 'apt-get' kernel build instructions so you can build for your installed version. There may be some hickups along the way but you can rebuild and work your way through until successful. Don't forget to edit the mhi driver. Once successful it builds several .deb packages. After they are built you will install those and you should have a working version of ubuntu with modified mhi driver. You will also need to head over to the ModemManager pages and read up on the FCC unlock as you will also need to create the links for the FCC unlock scripts.

The above is for the HP version of the T99W175. The other versions already have MHI driver support and also ModemManager support. I also had to copy the 105b FCC unlock scripts (lenovo version) to 03f0 (HP version) on one of the systems.

Once you get a working version of ubuntu and ModemManager you can then go to settings of your wired connection and under Details "Make available to other users" and under ipv4 and ipv6 set "Shared with other computers" and it will act like DHCP server/router and provide internet connection through the wired connection and will share the WWAN modem connection.

As for OpenWrt/ModemManager its basically the same as above but you will have to build and set a few things under menuconfig and also build with latest kernel and set some more things under kernel_menuconfig. Its not as easy to get going as ubuntu was.

I'm sure i've forgot some things along the way but thats pretty much the basics.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Round 2: success. Kept the test as windows so was easy to see if working..

Still no sign of the needed openwrt version wanted and not holding up hopes as MHI was not visible in package list but will keep checking..

Anyhow: This round was to get a cheap mini pc and see if could get it working..
Challenge was it only had one m.2 port and is in form of wifi/bluetooth m.2 a/e

Ordered of amazon: Shiwaki 1 Set M.2 (NGFF) Key A/E/A+E To Mini PCI-E Adapter With FFC Cables Practical (has a ribon cable so can mount the bulky part were you have space.. ) And it arrived a week and half early so was not expecting this to be tested till over a weeks time :)
Combined that with the trusty Ableconn MPEX-134B: Mini PCI-E Adapter too key b with sim

Device manager picked it up as qualcom..
Installed the HP driver sp138337
Reboot after each..
Bingo connection and an running!

Will be working on re-imaging too linux build in coming week..
Thanks for the help and will keep posted :)
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

So of interest....

1st Linux is being a royal pain to get the recompile to complete.. both plenty if issues and a royal pig when coming to CPU use.. anyone trying just incase.. the 'make' function is single threaded. (1 cpu core) and after half a day of compiling found this out when pc lost power and all work :( Well in digging.. There is a flag for it so it will use multiple cores: -j # (# is the number of cores one wants to use..) Huge difference!

2nd OpenWRT... Mentioned before was not able to find MHI for it.. well this evening I found details on how to get it and install it: https://github.com/kristrev/mhi-for-kernel-4.14 ... :) Tempted to try install it on my old router to check the process..
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Round 3 - Part success!!!

Wow what a rollercoaster of a rabbit hole! Dont recall having this much crazyness when whas building them a long long time ago!

Ok, so I have a connection now.. not the most stable and is laggy as ahem, so have further troubleshooting to do... And seems to be resisting setting 5g as preferred connection but while was some reports this was a modem_manager issue and also wondering if the very poor signal have today is also impacting.

Some of the breakdown and maybe some good news..
The kernel compile process was a royal pain! Seems plenty of little steps are missing from here and there so was not working well and takes loads of CPU/hours!
A big item of interest! I upgraded to Kernel v6 and in its default config MHI is a module! IE it is run outside the kernel! So after much searching found the commands to just compile the module structure!! After some testing. Found just have to copy mhi_pci_config.ko and mhi.ko (will double check) and once those are in place it was more interested in working.. A side note: Later drivers have a timeout value changed to give the modem more time to start, did have some of these timeouts even though this was updated for V6.. not sure if this needs setting for v5

Build commands:
make oldconfig
make menuconfig
make scripts prepare modules_prepare
make -C . M=drivers/bus/mhi/hosts
copy across and then run:
sudo depmod

There was also added fun/issues with pci_config.c editing with some conflicting info! the instructions claimed tag the entry on the end of the list.. but the file says put it in an order and found it in order on one of the patches!! Am not sure how important this is as was working on it before realised needed to also copy the 2nd file over.. Suspect it searches until reaches a higher number then stops so if was out if order would never find it..
Some other notes... V6 Kernel has a lot more modem support so hopefully in time this will be included by default..

Thoughts for next round.. As Kernel v6 is not fully out may make another try at default v5 kernel..
-Likely will also do a re-install so as to also flush out any un-needed items and get back to a cleaner install
Onward!!
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

What did you end up using? Did you build kernel from scratch via linux kernel or did you pick an OS and download kernel updates for your particular installation? I started with building the kernel from scratch but in the end decided I would be running ubuntu anyway so just downloaded source from ubuntu and updated kernel through ubuntu source using the above links. I did have to rebuild a couple times to get to completion but I don't recall it being that bad? Ultimately learned a lot along the way about source and build process so was a good experience in the long run.

You mention not being able to find openwrt? Now that you have an idea of how the build process works just build openwrt from master as stated above and in menuconfig select latest kernel and you will have MHI support that you can then edit if needed. It isn't as easy to get working as was ubuntu for me but doable. Also, you learn a lot along the journey too.

It does have its quirks to iron out though. Getting FCC unlock to play along nicely and getting 5G connection is on my todo list. I don't have 5G with the carrier I'm using at the moment so not able to work on that. I'm also having to manually restart the connection about every day or every other day for whatever reason, need to research that one too.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

dowloaded the complere kernel package tar.gz, part of the fun was arround a number of certs signing not playing dice and then found they should be removed for custom compiles.. Was initialy trying to build it into the kernel but ended up with a range of issues including not booting from ZFS.. Had used the save existing config to keep things on level.. Reverting to just compiling as module made it a lot easier once had found the commands..

For the openwrt.. That was for my new router and part of the fun is there is no 32meg build with the git comments saying it needs some config changes or will hang up if trying to use 16meg versions and found a thread were someone had tried it and was having issues.. Very true on the " Now that you have an idea of how the build process works" etc willl be trying some moding when have time..

Interesting one, with v6 did not have any need for unlock part.. Have just re-installed the system and trying again with 5.15.56
RE: getting 5G connection is on my todo list: Have seen a git post about reverting modemmanager to the git version and that solved some of it and got it app to were while it saus one thing it is using 5g..
Hope to be back at this point in a couple of hours and will be able to compair kernel v6 vs v5x
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Ah ok, found a reason for needing to do a kernal re-compile, it wont accept any other modules due to security settings.. CONFIG_MODULE_SIG "Module signature verification" This has a number of options available: (1) "Require modules to be validly signed" (CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_FORCE)
And this lines up the step of removing certs from the .config..
Busy compiling at the moment........................................
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Yes kernel signature checking is one of the things I forgot to mention when building. Since I used ubuntu all I ended up using was the following which allowed me to continue using signature checking rather than removing it:

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/src/debian
sudo apt install linux-source
sudo cp -v /usr/src/linux-source-*/debian/canonical-*.pem /usr/local/src/debian/
Then edit the keys section to point to the /usr/local/src.. keys.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

T99W175 modem is - key b

Converter just got: key m too Mini PCI-E Adapter with sim..
Already had: Mini PCI-E Adapter too key b with sim (Ableconn MPEX-134B)

Initially modem was seen but was not seeing the sim.. tried sims in both cards and didn’t help. Tried with sims in both..
=Closer inspection and check of Ableconn MPEX-134B.. It does not have the angle section in the sim socket so the sim can go and click in either way around. When turned it and had the angle side visible on the outside then the sim was seen.
Result, was able to connect and browse the web and ran a speed test that confirmed was the correct ISP detected.
I have an M.2 Key-M to mpcie adaptor but could not get it to work. The only adapter I could get working was the M.2 Key-AE to mpcie. Are you saying you got an adapter with M.2 Key-M working? If so, do you have a link you can share?

Also, I can't remember which version of the T99W175 you said you were working with? What is the VID:PID of the modem you have? I did not see any references to the 03F0:0A6C in the new v6 kernel. And it doesn't matter on the order, it will run through until it finds a match to the specific VID:PID.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

RE M.2 Key-M to mpcie adaptor but could not get it to work
Yes
I actualy have two adaptors.. one works and one does not..
Working: Ableconn MPEX-134B Mini PCIe Adapter with M.2 Key B Slot - Support USB / PCIe / SATA Based M2 B Key or B-M Key Module for Mini PCI Express (Can find it on amazon)
The not working one that was also red but does not have a sim slot or anything else on it or any sign that any other options could be avalable on it.
Since this finding I lean toward looking at adapters that either have sim slot or evidence there is a sim version and/or state PCI! The Ableconn MPEX-134B has a jumper to set it to PCI mode..

Also I am working with the HP T99W175 version:
lspic: 02:00.0 Wireless controller [0d40]: Device 03f0:0a6c
RE: "I did not see any references to the 03F0:0A6C in the new v6 kernel."
Correct! I can see they added a good many of the other variations of the T99W175 but not the HP one.. But have also seen a couple of git threads where thay have been working on getting a patch for it etc

And have been working with v6 kernel.. For the time being have reverted back to troubleshooting on it as am having less issues with it. (well less in some areas..)
RE: "And it doesn't matter on the order, it will run through until it finds a match to the specific VID:PID." Thanks for confirming this as it was not great to be reading in the file that there was some order to it..

I have been having some other issues I am still looking into..
-It is hell bent not to accept any other DNS servers fo wwan!! Ended up removing network-manager and the other connection manager things.. Reverted to manual mode and finaly my opendns settings are working on wwan..
-Seems to be somthing lagging the T99W175 network conection.. While i am getting connections the ping times are terrible.. IE 8000-14000ms constant! I tried my vodafone sim to check if it was somthing on the EIR network but is the same..

Also thanks for the kernel cert info, will take another look at that as was interested in figuring how to get it compiling exactly like that :)
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Also forgot to discuss: "It does have its quirks to iron out though. Getting FCC unlock to play along nicely and getting 5G connection is on my todo list. I don't have 5G with the carrier I'm using at the moment so not able to work on that. I'm also having to manually restart the connection about every day or every other day for whatever reason, need to research that one too."

-manually restart the connection about every day
Have had this issue going back years and on different platforms.. I tracked it back to an ISP side issue were they have a log file that has to be rolled over every day and they drop the connection just enough to role the file over.. well plenty modems hate it and cant handle it!! An intereresting test is take note of the time you last power cycled and see if is arround that same time the next day! I eneded up putting a timer switch on the modem and power cycle it at 3am and once that is in place the connection for the next 23 hrs is much better!!

-I don't have 5G with the carrier I'm using at the moment so not able to work on that.
I missed that was part of you challenge :) As have another 5g challenge as well.. Suposedly my ISP is now 5g on all sims now.. but there look to be some issues on modemmanager arround 5g! ie: if select more 5g only the connection drops instantly and there is no more connection possible.. Also hmm ok scratching head now.. Was having issues setting 5g as prefered:
root@fwrouter:~# mmcli -m 0 --set-allowed-modes='3g|4g|5g' --set-preferred-mode=5g
successfully set current modes in the modem
This was not working yesterday and any time tried it it would not allow for seeing 5g as prefered!!
Only thought at the moment is I have the other sim in (Vodafone) so maby the it was not allowing it with the EIR sim.. there was one wander about if the 5g was avalable with 1gig add on or had to have a full month package topup.. Will need to check this again..

As a side note. while checking the 5g issues there seemed to be a good few people activly looking into it arround an issue in modemmanager ie they also could not get the modem to ever get a 5g connection and was always LTE.. There was also one mention seed of if was wrong areals ie 3g areal then it would not let it activate or some such.. My other challenge at the moment is my office desk were I test is in a bit of a dead spot so am only getting 16% signal quality.. (long time issue and has been my pain) for my main router I finaly for extenal pair and 10m cable and mounted on a pole ouside.. Its 4g lte and since connecting that up it now gets 100% so thinking need to find time to move the test system to a better spot and find a way to get a memo areal setup so the modem has far better signal!) ps sorry for typoes :) have keyboard in odd location so making typing more fun/challenging
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

And confirmed that Eir sim is blocking 5g prefered:

Vodafone: current: allowed: 3g, 4g, 5g; preferred: 5g
root@fwrouter:~# mmcli -m 0 --set-allowed-modes='3g|4g|5g' --set-preferred-mode=5g
successfully set current modes in the modem

Eir: current: allowed: 3g, 4g, 5g; preferred: 4g
error: couldn't set current modes: 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error.Core.Failed: reloaded modes (allowed '3g, 4g, 5g' and preferred '5g') different to the requested ones (allowed '3g, 4g, 5g' and preferred '4g')'

Will have to check on both providers to see what they are offering as also think i spotted one popup on vodafone about expanding 5g support..
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

PaddyX wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:11 am RE M.2 Key-M to mpcie adaptor but could not get it to work
Yes
I actualy have two adaptors.. one works and one does not..
Working: Ableconn MPEX-134B
Yes, I have a couple of these adapters and they work perfect. This adapter converts the modem to an mPCIe socket. I've seen adapters described several ways and still not sure the correct way to describe whether this adapter is "mPCIe to M.2 Key-B" OR "M.2 Key-B to mPCIe"..?

What I was wondering is if you have found an adapter that converts from "mPCIe" to "M.2 Key-M" socket so you can use an M.2 Key-M socket on a motherboard. I have one of these adapters but it does not work. I have only successfully converted mPCIe to M.2 Key-AE. I'm not sure it is even possible to use the M.2 Key-M socket on a motherboard for a modem at this point even though it is PCI capable. If it is possible it opens up many doors as the M.2 Key-M socket is most popular I'd guess.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

hehe "mPCIe to M.2 Key-B" OR "M.2 Key-B to mPCIe" this has been my issues as well.. Usualy see it advertised the oposite way i think about it..

hmm re "mPCIe" to "M.2 Key-M" Checked through and does not look like i have anything that way... With my motherbard having an m.2 m-key slot it was not somthing i was looking for.. Have seem some pretty obscure and interesting things and some challenges was trying to source without paying crazy shipping.. Googling reminds me of what have seen but dont think ever ordered due to above..

The other reminder I got was some-one saying the adapter was b/m and complaints the m had to go up-side down so did not fit well with the chips hitting the board.. but not sure what bord that was..

What adapter do you have? I may end up looking for one for performance testing and one of interest was:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004641053693.html
There are reviews and one comment on performance had got so at least have some feedback that got working.. also another option is look for MINI PCI-E to NVMe as some dont use m.2 b but say NVME and this does make me think the issue with some adapters is they dont have the needed wiring ie there are a number of bus types, USB, PCI, SATA, SSD, NVMe and they seem to have there own fun.. an example would be Ableconn saying supports USB / PCIe / SATA and having a Jumper setting select PCIe x1 or SATA signals..
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Round 4 - up in smoke (figuratively) and no phoenix yet

In troubleshooting I found additional settings that got me wanting to re-install the removed network management agent stuff.. Also the side issue of not able to load it on any soft restart mysteriously started working .. So wanted to try for clean start with all the new info as I want to find and detail what exactly fixes/helps each issue…

Well after re-install it refused point blank to work at all…

Took hours to rectify and not sure why or maybe was in some state from when working or unstable re-install.
What I have seen in the aftermath is the multiple and crazy levels of management, ‘auto’, intercepting, and multiple things all trying to manage the same things.. And in finally getting DNS mostly working it still ignores what should be override settings!

Still got the bad ping/performance so have moved it to other side of house and no change at all so may be some of the areal fly leads are not happy from all the moving around while testing. Tempted to research how to rip all the management stuff out and go to old school config (like am used to) and will double check what conections pair up and see about swapping a pair of leads and to a better set of antena..

Anyhow, as schedule is now getting in the way will be a while before can update again.

Wishing all the best!!
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

ohhhhh maby I spoke to soon, well to an unknown degree!!

So in tidying up I found the last of the set of aerials that came with the modem. i.e. it came with a set of 4 for a laptop screen.

So rather than try other pigtails and setup I put them on. well….

1st Seemed a little better i.e. pings went from 8k-12k down to 5k-8k and nslookup commands were sizable amount faster...

2nd After a few min the ping suddenly plummeted!! Now between 20-105ms! Signal still claims is verry weak! And the browser actually managed to get a web page up! Tried a speed test a couple of times and it just gets latency timeout..

In trying to check modem status the command claimed was no modem!!
Checked the system logs and found repeated firmware crashing! I did check the version some days ago and it is old: firmware revision: T99W175.T0.0.0.4.1.GC.003.028

Have seen as high as T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.TO.006.079 mentioned and other issues with versions bellow 075

Another area am now wondering about is what band is it using as I know we only use 3 and 20 here and normally 3 is terrible! Now this is were one would hope the 5g could kick in and get it onto 5g channels..
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Digging for firmware... Seems like lenovo has been on top of the crashing and stability with many reporting and them working and fixing with the latest builds..

Have not found any updates or quesries on the HP side.. Anyone know if/where can get HP firmware or would the lenovo be compatable..
Does seem like is the same beast with just some company custom and even the firmware naming looks to be identical.. Is odd as in deciding what ver to go for had heard HP was better in the world of drivers and stuff but in this latest look seems like lenovo are much more on the ball.. unless there is some way to upgade included with the driver bundle as this seems to be how lonovo seem to ship it..
Will install the lenovo package and see what it looks like..
Holding off on flashing for now..
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Getting there slowly! Thanks again for the help!
Found how/where the HP firmware update comes from.. It is in the driver and looks to be a part of the install cycle! Suspect it was not done last time as installed the drivers while the modem was not plugged in!!

Last step in install run via cmd launched using run as administrator: (another flash windows opens with big dont turn off etc)
[STEP PASS] Copy file [SDx55_Version.dll] to target successful

was on: T99W175.T0.0.0.4.1.GC.003.028
sp138337 = T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.GC.004 071 (Confirmed this on linux)

Altho the 071 was bellow what they were saing what was stable.. Will monitor. So far no crashes but ping is still higher than then..
Initialy the ping is quite a bit better than originaly and at 200 - 6k but likly the weather is impacting! we have huge storm over us with weather warning for half the country.. so loads of wind and heavy rain!
Went to re-check the ping and was alll the way up to 40k so not the best conditions to be testing in :)

Also had to plug it into my windows system to update.. did come checking/testing on windows while was at it.. Of the bat confirmed was running at 5g! The performance was not good but expect part of that is the weather and the other part the ISP is not the fastest and my windows system may as well be in a bunker when it comes to signal.. but at least confirmed 5g and its ping was not bad and was able to run speed test / browse.. so gives some comparason..

One other item to mention.. The last build of linux has had some strange results.. The avalable Modes is much reduced compaired to the last so will try to re-build the mhi and see if that helps..
Trying to also check the bands again but not easy to figure out.. may need to plug it into windows again and do some more checking on it..

Onward!!
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

In reference to pings, I would bet that has something to do with your particular ISP or poor signal as I've not had any issues with ping times on either of mine. I did run into some of the kernel crash issues but don't think it was on both. Will have to check into that issue a bit further. In regards to the latest firmware for the modem, be careful as the latest firmware have modified the FCC unlock and I know ModemManager had to recently make additional modifications. Think it is referenced as old FCC Unlock (version 1) and new FCC Unlock (version 2).

In regards to signal stats and AT commands you can check out the Thales version of the T99W175. The "Thales Cinterion MV-31W" is close to the same device and on there site they have the AT command manual available for download once you create an account on their website. It is a very detailed manual covering all of the AT commands that are available on the T99W175. This turned out to be extremely helpful so you might get a copy for your files.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

ohhhh many thanks for the AT command file info!! downloaded and safely stored! Only had an old AT lists from donkies ages old modem.. Now just need to figure out how to get modemmanager to start in debug or would you know of another way to get AT to work than the mmcli?

RE: I would bet that has something to do with your particular ISP or poor signal
Yea very likely! I had got the sim to get an alternative to Vodafone as they do not offer 5g on payg without forking out an xtra 50% more and they cap the speed!

The performance of the new sim has been dire from the start although was more slow than anything else.. ping seemed ok but download was 1-2meg if lucky and that was on an old 4g modem so was not sure if they had killed 4g to boost 5g but this makes it look like that is a no! The other odd one is the APN they claim does not work and the only one that seems to work is an the APN for the old network thay took over! But again and again I see the new APN mentioned. Will reach out to them tomorrow to see what they say and even ask them to replace the sim!

RE: In regards to the latest firmware for the modem, be careful as the latest firmware have modified the FCC unlock and I know ModemManager had to recently make additional modifications.

What are the symptoms of this unlock issue? I took it that it did not work at all? Did see people mention re-running into and it changing as versions we along! I was a little carful in that before I upgraded I made sure I could get the old old old drivers and hp have it listed back to what must be initial release so download them in case!
edit: think part of the reason have not run into unlock is am on a new enough modemmager 1.18 and above " * foxconn: added support for the T99W175 (SDX55) module, including built-in FCC unlock procedure."
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

PaddyX wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:45 pm ohhhh many thanks for the AT command file info!! downloaded and safely stored! Only had an old AT lists from donkies ages old modem.. Now just need to figure out how to get modemmanager to start in debug or would you know of another way to get AT to work than the mmcli?
When using debian/ubuntu setup this is best way to get ModemManager into debug mode:
modemmanager.org/docs/modemmanager/debugging/

If/when using OpenWrt edit "/etc/init.d/modemmanager" and the 7th line change

LOG_LEVEL="INFO"
to

LOG_LEVEL="DEBUG"
This is show ModemManager debug info in system logs.

That being said, I would not use ModemManager (mmcli) or qmi-utils (qmicli) to send at commands. I would build into firmware or install "minicom". Once you have minicom installed run "minicom -s" to setup. All that is needed is to change the following:
Serial port setup / Serial Device : /dev/wwan0at0
Screen and Keyboard / Local Echo : Yes
Save Setup as dfl
Exit (Control+A then Q)

Once minicom has been setup as above you then type minicom again and it will take you directly to new screen to enter at commands. Type "ati" to check comms. You should receive a response that is echo'd to the screen. To exit minicom you hit (Control + A then Q) again. That is the easiest I have found to directly enter AT commands in debian/ubuntu/OpenWrt systems. If you run into issues just let me know.
What are the symptoms of this unlock issue? I took it that it did not work at all? Did see people mention re-running into and it changing as versions we along! I was a little carful in that before I upgraded I made sure I could get the old old old drivers and hp have it listed back to what must be initial release so download them in case!
edit: think part of the reason have not run into unlock is am on a new enough modemmager 1.18 and above " * foxconn: added support for the T99W175 (SDX55) module, including built-in FCC unlock procedure."
All of the PCI based modems should show up in "lspci" which I believe you already know. But when the FCC Unlock has been enabled on the modem and the ModemManager scripts have not been applied then everything will seem to be working correctly except the modem will NOT come out of low power mode. The manufacturers basically disable powering the antennas until you prove that you are authorized. If you have connection to the ISP then all is good.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

fab thanks for the info! yes have had no issues seeing it under lspci and suspect the reason I have not run into the unlock issue is due to 1st trying in earnest to used it on a late enough version of linux/mm so can count my lucky stars..

With what you mentioned I may take another look at the router as there was some mention of modem drivers being backported to mm1.16 something, but don’t recall anything else or any mention of the unclock.. it is using ROOter by Of Modems and Men so is a good number of versions behind in a umber of areas.. but with the added info and getting more familiar with the compiling when have some time will re-check it.. need to check what it has in detail!

Further ISP/areal. I suspect issues with both! the ISP is not accepting the APN it should and I found info about some sims being from sub-let ISP and they use the old APN and either way there is something not happy on that side!!
The arial has always been a challenge for me and do think what they shipped is cheap! While I live higher up on a hill we are in a slight depression so our signal is terrible inside! like lucky to get 15-20% inside! Many months ago I got a good grade 10m cable and nice big external ombi's and put that up a few months ago and wow! having it at about ridge level but at the edge instantly got the 4g modem to 100% rock solid signal! I was looking at pinouts and when can take the other offline will connect it and another set and see what I get! looks like the pin out is 0 and 3 make up one pair at the higher end of function while 1 and 2 are the lower end.. I was looking for any omni 5g compatible but did not find anything in my price range and pickings were scares’ either way with the bulk being directional. Will carry on with the investigation!
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Well dont recomend upgrading to that firmware! sp138337 = T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.GC.004 071 IS a no no!
Crashing firmware seems to be worse on it.. So things are pretty unstable.

Will be away for a bit so will look at it when back. Plan is if there is not a updated ver will reach out to HP again and ask about any upcoming drivers even otherwise downgrade it.. May also reach out to original manufacturer and see what can be done to get to versions were the crashing is fixed..

firmware level does seem to line up with what had aslo read.. ie Lenovo is better on the firmware update rate side so now looks like it may have been a better bet. They also seem more ingaged in fixing things.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

I'm looking to upgrade my 4g modem to 5g. Given the lack of USB support and the effort to make functional, should I look at another device instead?
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Think it is not that there is a lack of USB support it is that they do all have a 'full' version that has USB but you will pay a lot more for it!
The challenge is more arround: check what 5G devices the flavor of OS/router supports as they can/will have only a set they support.. And the routers are slow to move on from USB mode..
Some of the routers also have offers that include the 5G modem but as mentioned these will be the more expesive versions and again check what OS they have as there may be some issues upgrading..

Are you wanting to go the router route or a PC and build you own?

The one thing i can see is over time things have got better but there is a fair way to go!
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

I have a WG1608 with a T77W968 in use currently. I'm using rooter instead of OpenWRT so I don't have modem manager.

Been considering a sff pc, a BPI-R2 Pro/R3, and other little odds and ends. The WG1608 keeps hitting CPU max so I'm sort of anxious to get off it.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

eskaryo wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:36 pm I have a WG1608 with a T77W968 in use currently. I'm using rooter instead of OpenWRT so I don't have modem manager.

Been considering a sff pc, a BPI-R2 Pro/R3, and other little odds and ends. The WG1608 keeps hitting CPU max so I'm sort of anxious to get off it.
Finally back in the land of the living! I to am using rooter instead of OpenWRT as Openwrt does not support the 32M WG1608 yet :(

RE "Been considering a sff pc, a BPI-R2 Pro/R3, and other little odds and ends. The WG1608 keeps hitting CPU max so I'm sort of anxious to get off it."
Interesting, have not had any high cpu issues..
I too have got an sff pc that am playing on..

I looked over the BPI-R2 Pro/R3 you mentioned and o my! For me the M3 would be of far more interest for its fibre ports and it looks to have an openwrt build already available!
While what looked of interest on the R2 was that it is like a pc and can use Linux direct..
The big question would be if its ports are off USB or PCI..

In digging found a spec for R2
(proof would be in the pudding) https://www.cnx-software.com/2022/05/09 ... ip-rk3568/
1x mini PCIe socket (PCIe + USB)
1x M.2 Key-E socket (PCIe + USB)

While R3 https://www.cnx-software.com/2022/09/05 ... t7986-soc/
Mini PCIe slot with USB signals only + MicroSIM card slot
M.2 KEY-M PCIe interface (2-lane PCIe 2.0)

Most interesting, didn't see an m2 slot on initial look and when read that checked again and found it is on the back.. The strange one was some people discussing the lack of pci support but seems like they were focusing on the mpci slot.. Have adapters so could convert from key-M to Key-B.

If you get one let us know how it goes!
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Round 5 ...

So had mentioned: Have seen as high as T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.TO.006.079 and other issues with versions bellow 075 While
Original: T99W175.T0.0.0.4.1.GC.003.028 and last update got me to 071
sp138337 = T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.GC.004 071 (Confirmed this on linux) on Oct 16, 2022

On the news of interest, HP finally released an update and it looks to come with:
firmware revision: T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.GC.004 - 076
1.0.0.45 Rev.A Dec 29, 2022 https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp144001 ... 144352.exe

After updating:
On windows things seemed to be good with speed test having great ping and speed instantly hit a little over 10 and stayed there. (makes me think there is a throttle.. )
Linux was not much better and the modem crashed as soon as tried to use it so further testing needed.. And still seems to claim 3g/4g..
Next test will install a window image and do some cross checking on the system to verify things before trying linux again.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

I built into a SFF PC, but I can't get the modem to detect. It may be because of the mPCIE/M2 adapters I used but I don't know how to tell and I don't want to keep buying them to no avail. Frustrating.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

What OS are you using on it? (Also did you get the 2 or 3?) Also what adapter did you get?
Also what flavour of your T99W175? (linux or openwrt run lspci)

The HP one on windows needs the driver installed and will work without much challenge..#
HP on Linux requires quite some work and have to install a bunch of added modules and recompile with changes to mhi drviers!
HP on openwrt.. :( Will try this again when have time as now playing with openwrt on x86 but for now working on linux Ubuntu to confirm all works....

The lenovo version app is easier to get working on linux..

Let us know
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

oh my! soooo close!

Gave up on the windows install as was taking ages and the modem was not working at all and research found others had issues if modem is in the system at install time then windows freaks and does not allow its drivers and it to work..

Went on to load openwrt on one drive and Ubunti on another..
Ubuntu after getting everything configured and recompiled was working great! Speed was good, ping was good and it was working all day.
This was with the latest HP firmware and using kernel 6.1.7 Just had to add the few lines to the MHI before compiling..

Small anomalies was on some boots the MHI failed to load but other than that was going great! Had thought was near done until..

Today however when got back onto it this evening the modem was not showing and after rebooting it is back to its old trick..
One odd thing, yesterday the signal was 4% when speeds were good... Today the signal is 25% and ping is bad and higher functions are just timing out.
That has me wondering if they have a tower with issue and had been lucky enough to be connected to one further away.. Also still does not want to enable 5g and had put that down to bad signal but now not sure.. On the to do list is swap the sims over and test with Vodafone and see if its better and go and get the sim swapped out
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

So after further playing..
1) There is definitely something up with the sim that needs investigating. With it in the modem will not allow 5g preferred and also not sure what happened the day things were great but when put into a phone the the next day when speed was bad the speed was slow on the phone too so will be off to the ISP to ask them about the issues!

2) Definitely some issues are coming from Ubuntu! As much as I try to get things to save and be persistent, DHCP and DNS keeps on breaking and the last DNS get right was open the file and save it so something very strange going on unless end up adding a script to do after the fact updates to re-config!! And is not populating files that it should and purging others!
Going to do another rebuild and this time going to completely rip out the the network management stuff as it should be doing things that it is not while also not behaving! Will also work on getting the recompile with small/min Kernel.

Also wandering if the modem is having something bad buffering.. ah the fun.

In the mean time having lots of fun with the wifi, like something is interfering with it.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Hey PaddyX - What's your current status with this guy? I'm running OpenWRT x86/64 and finally have the adapter config necessary to light this thing up. I've got both a T99W175.16 (sub6 only) and a T99W175.00 (supports mmWave), both Lenovo branded.

Are you still using Ubuntu with a 6.x kernel? I'm considering attempting to roll together the work from both of these projects and get my router to 22.03.3 which is running kernel 5.15

https://github.com/kristrev/mhi-for-kernel-4.14
https://github.com/ylintan/mhi_driver_5.15.6
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Actually it looks like 22.03.3 may have support for this. I'm about to migrate and see if I can get lucky and shortcut all the work:

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots ... s/Packages

/edit: crap, read that wrong. that's in the Master/Snapshot image
/edit2: hold my beer I'm rolling a snapshot image
/edit3: kmods for mhi stuff installed, router rebooted, modem detected! I might be on the road to success.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Enabled the FCC unlocks that were present for MM. I can't seem to get the SIM to detect. Haven't thrown any AT commands yet, I need to take a break.

I've got 3 sims installed into the system, only 1 is detected via mmcli -i querying

Not sure if it's a different FCC unlock that needs to be applied to get further but I'll keep on updating as I go.

mmcli -m 0
  -----------------------------------
  General  |                    path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
           |               device id: 1c8868f4961ee5f7662de33a11548439d4843271
  Hardware |            manufacturer: foxconn
           |                   model: Qualcomm Snapdragon X55 5G
           |       firmware revision: T99W175.F0.1.0.0.5.CU.003
           |          carrier config: CU
           | carrier config revision: 0A001503
           |            h/w revision: Qualcomm Snapdragon X55 5G
           |               supported: gsm-umts, lte, 5gnr
           |                 current: gsm-umts, lte, 5gnr
           |            equipment id: 
  System   |                  device: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.0
           |                 drivers: mhi-pci-generic
           |                  plugin: foxconn
           |            primary port: wwan0mbim0
           |                   ports: wwan0 (net), wwan0at0 (at), wwan0mbim0 (mbim),
           |                          wwan0qcdm0 (ignored)
  Status   |                   state: failed
           |           failed reason: sim-missing
           |             power state: on
  Modes    |               supported: allowed: 3g; preferred: none
           |                          allowed: 4g; preferred: none
           |                          allowed: 3g, 4g; preferred: 4g
           |                          allowed: 3g, 4g; preferred: 3g
           |                          allowed: 5g; preferred: none
           |                          allowed: 4g, 5g; preferred: 5g
           |                          allowed: 4g, 5g; preferred: 4g
           |                          allowed: 3g, 5g; preferred: 5g
           |                          allowed: 3g, 5g; preferred: 3g
           |                          allowed: 3g, 4g, 5g; preferred: 5g
           |                          allowed: 3g, 4g, 5g; preferred: 4g
           |                          allowed: 3g, 4g, 5g; preferred: 3g
           |                 current: allowed: 3g, 4g, 5g; preferred: 5g
  Bands    |               supported: utran-1, utran-3, utran-4, utran-6, utran-5, utran-8,
           |                          utran-9, utran-2, eutran-1, eutran-2, eutran-3, eutran-4, eutran-5,
           |                          eutran-7, eutran-8, eutran-12, eutran-13, eutran-14, eutran-17,
           |                          eutran-18, eutran-19, eutran-20, eutran-25, eutran-26, eutran-28,
           |                          eutran-29, eutran-30, eutran-32, eutran-34, eutran-38, eutran-39,
           |                          eutran-40, eutran-41, eutran-42, eutran-46, eutran-48, eutran-66,
           |                          eutran-71, utran-19, ngran-1, ngran-2, ngran-3, ngran-5, ngran-7,
           |                          ngran-8, ngran-12, ngran-20, ngran-25, ngran-28, ngran-38, ngran-40,
           |                          ngran-41, ngran-48, ngran-66, ngran-71, ngran-77, ngran-78, ngran-79,
           |                          ngran-260, ngran-261
           |                 current: utran-1, utran-3, utran-4, utran-6, utran-5, utran-8,
           |                          utran-2, eutran-1, eutran-3, eutran-4, eutran-7, eutran-8,
           |                          eutran-28, eutran-40, eutran-41, eutran-66, eutran-71, ngran-1,
           |                          ngran-2, ngran-3, ngran-5, ngran-7, ngran-8, ngran-12, ngran-20,
           |                          ngran-25, ngran-28, ngran-38, ngran-40, ngran-41, ngran-48, ngran-66,
           |                          ngran-71, ngran-77, ngran-78, ngran-79, ngran-260, ngran-261
  IP       |               supported: ipv4, ipv6, ipv4v6
  SIM      |          sim slot paths: slot 1: none (active)
           |                          slot 2: none
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Moved SIM to the MPEX... which I didn't notice that slot before. SIM now detecting but modem won't enable due to a sim pin issue. Guessing this may be FCCUnlock/Firmware related.

Progress...

Hardware |            manufacturer: foxconn
           |                   model: Qualcomm Snapdragon X55 5G
           |       firmware revision: T99W175.F0.1.0.0.5.AT.006
           |          carrier config: ATT2
           | carrier config revision: 0A005306
           |            h/w revision: Qualcomm Snapdragon X55 5G
           |               supported: gsm-umts, lte, 5gnr
           |                 current: gsm-umts, lte, 5gnr
           |            equipment id: 
  System   |                  device: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.0
           |                 drivers: mhi-pci-generic
           |                  plugin: foxconn
           |            primary port: wwan0mbim0
           |                   ports: wwan0 (net), wwan0at0 (at), wwan0mbim0 (mbim),
           |                          wwan0qcdm0 (ignored)
  Status   |                    lock: sim-pin2
           |          unlock retries: sim-pin2 (3)
           |                   state: disabled
           |             power state: on
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Apparently this .00 (mmWave support) modem's IMEI is crazy town- Verizon and AT&T IMEI check won't touch it, but T-Mobile is happy with it. My other modem (.16/no mmWave) IMEI is supported by V&A so I may need to do some magic... assuming that process is documented somewhere for this guy. I just got the number for the advanced support group who can potentially help me determine if their network is snubbing the modem or if I'm even achieving a connection that's reaching them. Going to try to work with them tomorrow.

If it's the IMEI that's frustrating just out of principle, this modem is fully capable of everything AT&T and Verizon can throw at it. For it to be stuck on T-mo because of arbitrary lines just potentially creates e-waste.

/edit: love proxmox and vendor/hwid emulation. Now my .16 is getting a driver associated and attempting to connect.

Still no connectivity yet, Signal Strength 0% for now.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

This modem is extremely similar to its brother the Dell DW5821e (T77W168). There is a document out there for that modem that has a lot of specifics and things that would help with what you are looking to modify. Seems I've seen a link to that document on this site at some point. I can't recall the exact name, it started out as just a link to someone's google drive document. The command and method used for modification is confirmed working for both modems.

Fyi, typically 0% signal is a good indicator of software disabled modem (FCC lock). I recall getting FCC unlock to work with modemmanager and openwrt was a bit tricky at first. Basically no matter what you try will not work to turn on the radio until the module has been unlocked.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Thanks for the info. I have one of those 4g modules too so I know the document to which you are referring.

I think the FCC Unlock is succeeding, some other people tracking FCC Unlock problems (although with different modules) ran the command below and had an error enabling the modem which was their indication that the unlock failed. Since I'm getting this modem into Enabled state now, I think I am Unlocking successfully.

mmcli -m 0 -vvv -e
[07 Feb 2023, 13:59:13] [Debug] ModemManager process found at ':1.0'
[07 Feb 2023, 13:59:13] [Debug] Assuming '0' is the modem index
[07 Feb 2023, 13:59:13] [Debug] Modem found at '/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0'

[07 Feb 2023, 13:59:13] [Debug] Synchronously enabling modem...
successfully enabled the modem
What do you recall about the FCC Unlock trouble with OpenWRT? I wasn't able to symlink the files like MM suggested and copied the folder/chmod'd the files.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Hmm, I moved the unlock folder to a new/broken location and restarted the router and I'm still seemingly successfully enabling the modem.

mmcli -m 0 -vvv -e
[07 Feb 2023, 14:09:52] [Debug] ModemManager process found at ':1.0'
[07 Feb 2023, 14:09:52] [Debug] Assuming '0' is the modem index
[07 Feb 2023, 14:09:52] [Debug] Modem found at '/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0'

[07 Feb 2023, 14:09:52] [Debug] Synchronously enabling modem...
successfully enabled the modem
Looks like I need to go back to the FCC Unlock board!

/edit: got those files linked to the preferred location, OpenWRT's implementation of LN doesn't support the command on the MM FCC Unlock page. It looks more like this for OpenWRT users:

mkdir /usr/share/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.d/; ln -s /usr/share/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.available.d/* /usr/share/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.d/
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Proper linking of the FCC Unlock scripts did the trick. I'm getting signal now. My "bad IMEI" modem is unable to register to the network but my good one was able to connect! Before a firmware crash.

[   43.628526] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:10.0: firmware crashed (7)
[   43.630033] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:10.0: firmware crashed (6)
These two devices are on wildly different firmwares:
good/.16: T99W175.F0.0.0.5.2.AT.006
bad/.00: T99W175.F0.1.0.0.5.AT.006

Need to get this thing updated.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Success, then catastrophic failure.

Following the firmware update I as able to connect without firmware crashes. I went to move the modem to the new location and managed to remove the circular framing on the primary antenna's u.fl coupler on the modem. The .16 unit now has 3 leads for antenna instead of 4 and would not connect following that super-awesome event.

I'm working now with the .00 unit, in Windows it connects successfully. In OpenWRT it fails to complete registration/full connection. I need to get this thing's firmware updated and that's my current total hangup.

it's on T99W175.F0.1.0.0.5.AT.006, the lenovo driver and the hp driver in Windows WILL NOT push the firmware to the modem.

How can I force-feed a firmware update?
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Never had issues on firmware updates but one thing comes to mind that may help. Trying to remember details, but seems like I had the same issues with FCC unlock and not being able to correctly symlink etc etc so coped the files directly to folders and such. If I remember correctly I was still having issues getting it to unlock so I think I manually sent unlock command using freshly built libqmi package and that was successful. Might have had to downgrade from the very latest firmware as they changed the FCC unlock in latest? After that I never had to manually unlock it again it just started working correctly. I have seen the firmware crashes also but it has seemed to just go away as of now and haven't seen any crashes in long time.

That really sucks about the antenna port. You might do a search and see if you can find someone that does that repair. It has been discussed a couple times I think.

I'll see if I have any details on the process that I used to update firmware and will check back in if I find any notes.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Your comments earlier helped me get through the FCC unlock problem. This one (.00) currently enables, gets signal% but fails to move past registering with the provider. The .16 module was happy once the firmware was at 1.0.0.9 so that's my current expectation for this .00 module as well.

My windows box upgraded the .16 module which actually turned out to be an HP T99W175 instead of a Lenovo.

With this lenovo, I can't get the Windows package to push the firmware even though the readme says if it's not firmware 1.0.0.9 it will to an OTA on next system boot. It ain't doing it.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Some things are coming back around the more I think about it. You mentioned both being Lenovo but one is HP? On the face of the modems which brands are printed? These modems are so similar I wouldn't be surprised that the HP firmware will work for the lenovo modem an vice versa. At first I had more luck with the lenovo since it was automatically recognized with the mhi drivers and such but after it all said and done the HP is the one I'm mainly using now as I've had better luck with it for whatever reason. I remember searching the internet and collected all versions of the firmwares from HP and Lenovo for the T99W175 I could find. Upgrades were done automatically using windows 10. A sim swap would automatically trigger between at&t / T-mo / Vzw firmwares. I think if you download the lenovo firmware package and extract it there is a text file with instructions on how to manually force firmware upgrades and manual installations and things. You might skim through that and see if you can manually force it to take one of the newer firmwares?
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

The HP was working but I killed the antenna port. I'm now operating with the Lenovo.

I was digging through those text files as well and they did say inserting a sim card and rebooting could trigger... The device had one in there, but I never tried inserting a sim card from another carrier. I have a collection of versions of HP, Dell, Lenovo releases for this thing and while I can get it to recognize in Windows and connect none of them are spawning the firmware push. I assume the HP and Dell releases are doing some type of check prior to running the firmware tool, I'm actually right now trying to update the customer setting on the modem so I can possibly turn it into an HP again and maybe luck out with a firmware push.

/edit:
fwupdmgr has a firmware push command, but ugh how do I know if I have a firmware file in the right format

install FILE [DEVICE-ID]
              Install a firmware file on this hardware
/edit2:
fwupd's source for firmware:
https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.leno ... 2.firmware
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Got fwupd to begin pushing a new firmware to the modem. Then the modem's firmware crashed.

Since them I'm having a little additional complication with the module, though it still seems to be happy on Windows boxes. Ugh I just need to find a way to trigger/force that update to occur in Windows it seems.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Did you try to swap sims from different providers and restart windows? This was how I remember triggering the firmware upgrades. I think I used an old simple mobile or tracfone branded sim to get it to install the 'generic' firmware version.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

I swore I tried that already, but that worked just now.

I'm flashed up to 1.0.0.9!!!

There does seem to still be something lingering with this module though- I think related to the crash during the firmware push with fwupd. I'm uninstalling everything from my Win VM, running the SDX55 uninstaller and rebuilding the VM fresh and will only install one Lenovo driver package and hope that will clear things up.

In Linux the modem is all good until mmcli tries to use it. Once that happens there's an MHI error and I no longer see the module in mmcli -L

dmesg | grep mhi
[    5.110770] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:10.0: MHI PCI device found: foxconn-sdx55
[    5.112680] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:10.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0x100000000-0x100000fff 64bit]
[    5.121656] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:10.0: using shared MSI
[    5.124393] mhi mhi0: Requested to power ON
[   45.511697] mhi mhi0: Failed to reset MHI due to syserr state
[   45.513007] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:10.0: failed to power up MHI controller
[   45.567601] mhi-pci-generic: probe of 0000:00:10.0 failed with error -110
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Ok.

SDX drivers fully purged from the Windows system. Powered that down, gave the modem to OpenWRT. Modem power error again.
Swapped my very first SIM into the modem and booted into OpenWRT - it came online but that SIM doesn't have service.
Swapped back to the new SIM and booted - by the luck of the gods MHI initialized successfully and the module connected!

Typing on the router serving from the the sdx55! I'm only on 4g, but hey there's always the next thing to fix... right?

@mtl26637 you saved my day dude- I was really struggling to make progress in spite of literally pumping every spare second I had into this and feeling like I was going crazy. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I know it's the internet and no one here is specifically incentivized to help out but you helped me see the next hurdle and overcome it basically each time I came to one. Buy yourself a beer, but say it's from me!
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Awecome! You are very welcome for what little help I was able to provide. I'm glad you got it at least working, I know when I started on this modem I was lost and did not know much at all. By the time I got it working I had learned so much about linux/Openwrt/Modemmanager. That said, I know how much work you have put into this project to get it going. In the end the satisfaction of running a box that is more powerful than any router along with a top of the line 5G modem that costs just over 50 bux is quite the feeling of accomplishment ;). It is worth the journey for anyone willing to put in the effort to learn.

Btw, I can't really say that I've had luck with 5G signal as of yet. I have Tmo but my signal is extremely weak. I have not been able to actually confirm if the modem is actually using 5G or not during tests. Speeds are up there in the 20-30MB down range but I don't know if its 4G or 5G bands giving that speed. Its hard to confirm as there isn't a very good way to watch the modem connection rather than just manually sending in AT commands for signal strength while downloading.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

mtl26637 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:30 pm top of the line 5G modem that costs just over 50 bux is quite the feeling of accomplishment ;).
For the (near) future Wireless Routing Mad Lads and Lasses who discover this thread:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175567089071?e ... Q&LH_BIN=1

mmWave support

$25

Shipped.

/edit: ya know what, I'm just going to order another...
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

mtl26637 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:30 pm Btw, I can't really say that I've had luck with 5G signal as of yet. I have Tmo but my signal is extremely weak. I have not been able to actually confirm if the modem is actually using 5G or not during tests. Speeds are up there in the 20-30MB down range but I don't know if its 4G or 5G bands giving that speed. Its hard to confirm as there isn't a very good way to watch the modem connection rather than just manually sending in AT commands for signal strength while downloading.

I'm going to use the ModemManager cli disable all 4g bands and leave only 5g, it'll look something like this:

mmcli -m 0 --set-current-bands='ngran-1|ngran-2|ngran-3|ngran-5|ngran-7|ngran-8|ngran-12|ngran-20|ngran-25|ngran-28|ngran-38|ngran-40|ngran-41|ngran-48|ngran-66|ngran-71|ngran-77|ngran-78|ngran-79|ngran-260|ngran-261'

/edit: modem unable to receive signal with this config. I've got 700-2700mhz log periodics mounted, at least per their Amazon info, but a 600-6000mhz 4x4 panel ready to go use. Might do the trick. I'm on AT&T so I need C-Band support which is 1000-1300mhz higher than my mounted array.

I might get around to testing the panel array before long.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Do you know if, like the DW5821e/T77W968, this ships with only 2x2 support instead of 4x4?
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Ok, 600-6000mhz antenna went up. Still unable to access 5g bands. Ugh.

/edit: I have a feeling this is an issue with ModemManager or the mhi-generic driver. Going to attach this to a Windows VM and see if I can detect any 5g.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

This gent here has 5g rolling on his module- looks like the belief is kernel 5.17 might be to credit for that.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linu ... =7#5600586

Seems like it's a waiting game.

/edit: For those reading this contemporarily for use with OpenWRT, it may be worth pausing your plans to fully convert to this modem. Go ahead and make prep to convert because support is coming, but probably keep your existing module in place. I am finding the modem initialization via MHI to be somewhat unreliable whereas my trusty ol' T77W968 over USB was rock-solid. I've had to write a script in my OpenWRT guest that searches for a specific failure code and will reboot the parent VM host to ensure that the modem will be able to initialize.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

eskaryo wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:53 pm Do you know if, like the DW5821e/T77W968, this ships with only 2x2 support instead of 4x4?
This I'm not sure. My main laptop died that had all of my software on it for the DW5821e. After I got the modem working I've not really messed with it much at all.

I did check my kernel version and at the time I built mine it was 5.15.67. I'm gonna try to built new and see if newer kernel helps with 5G as you suggested but will once again have to start from scratch since my laptop is down for the count.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

mtl26637 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:51 am
eskaryo wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:53 pm Do you know if, like the DW5821e/T77W968, this ships with only 2x2 support instead of 4x4?
This I'm not sure. My main laptop died that had all of my software on it for the DW5821e. After I got the modem working I've not really messed with it much at all.

I did check my kernel version and at the time I built mine it was 5.15.67. I'm gonna try to built new and see if newer kernel helps with 5G as you suggested but will once again have to start from scratch since my laptop is down for the count.
The user who was running 5.17 was on Kubutu I think. Good luck and sorry about the death of the laptop. I've got 2 spare HP 260 Mini G2's if you want to take one off my hands.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”