Mofi 5500 USB

Topics related to MoFi branded routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Low Drag
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mofi 5500 USB

Post by Low Drag »

After years of happy internet usage with my Mofi 4500 V2 I upgraded to the Mofi 5500 so I could have internet in my home and my truck. Things were going great until I started receiving nastygrams from Visible about using their sims in an, "unauthorized device". No problem, I put the sim back in the phone it came with and connected the phone to the 4500 V2 with a cable. This works 100% of the time and the performance is nearly identical to what it was with the sim directly inside the router.

The problem is the 5500. Doesn't work 100% of the time. I can put the two routers side by side, connect the phone to the 4500, select USB sharing on the phone and I'm in business. Turn sharing off on the phone, unplug the USB cable from the 4500, plug it into the 5500, turn on USB sharing on the phone and nothing. It will connect, the phone recognizes that it's connected to something it can share its internet connection with but the router has no internet. I can reverse the procedure and the 4500 will work just fine.

I've tried rebooting the phone and the router, both USB ports on the 5500, both phones, different cables and zilch. Is there a hardware issue on the 5500, or one of the hundreds of settings in the router's firmware that's responsible?
Didneywhorl

Re: Mofi 5500 USB

Post by Didneywhorl »

Sounds like there's an interface not being dynamically created by the mofi firmware.

I'm not sure the answer myself.

Is it an android or iphone?

What did MOFI tell you?
Low Drag

Post by Low Drag »

I have both, 3 Android and 2 iPhones - they 100% work on the Mofi 4500 V2 and 100% don't work on the 5500. I sent a message to Mofi two weeks ago - still waiting on a reply.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Hopefully I can cutout some time soon and try it myself. I'll try and get back to you here.

Hopefully a mofi5500 expert can chime in.

Typical of their support. Except their support is excellent, just ask them they'll tell you so.
jgtyler

Post by jgtyler »

Low Drag have you received any information from Mofi on using the usb tethering on the 5500? I plan on using that setup when T-mobile has bad signal and Visible is better.
roamer

Post by roamer »

Here is the info I received on Sept. 27, 2022 from the MoFi Tech Support representative. By the way, I called the toll-free line, pressed one key, and was immediately transferred to a support rep who clearly answered my question within 3 minutes.

Sometime in 2021 an iOS system update broke support for tethering for the MoFi router. They are working on it, but cannot promise any dates. It sounded like this support rep was saying that it is broken on the MoFi 5500, and maybe also on the MoFi 4500 (not sure if it was both). But it definitely is not working on the 5500.

This is what I was told.

I guess I don't understand why brands like GL.iNet can sell you a $40 router that supports iOS tethering on Apple devices, but MoFi can't support it on their $500 product.

Return to “MoFi Routers”