X55 T99W175 modem

Questions and support related to Modems and Dongles ONLY
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
punkguy00017

X55 T99W175 modem

Post by punkguy00017 »

Will this modem work in my 1608 router interested in purchasing one of these
Didneywhorl

Re: X55 T99W175 modem

Post by Didneywhorl »

No idea. There is a group of peeps on Facebook that like messing with modems like that one I think.
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

I read up on it and it doesn't support usb mode only pcie
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

That's 100% no go for any openWRT router that I know of, like the 1608, as they all use the USB bus for modem interface.
PaddyX
Has thanked: 0

Post by PaddyX »

"That's 100% no go for any openWRT router that I know of, like the 1608, as they all use the USB bus for modem interface." That they use USB bus was suspected by me..
A couple of odd items versions of ModemManager do support: * Foxconn SDX55 T99W175 5G sub6 PCIE Modem and the latest openwrt uses near latest ModemManager if using ModemManager..
Also checking the logs I can see there is PCI bus infratructure.

While they say "5. Built-in USB3.0 MINI-PCIE interface to install 4G modules to support 3G & 4G functions.And also built-in USB3.0 M.2 interface to install 5G module to support 5G function. It can be only chose one of 4G and 5G modes. Can not support 4G and 5G at the same time."

There was also part thay would indicate it can run PCIE: under Specification: 4.1 Hardware interface introduction
"M.2 Interface : Built-in M.2 slot, support PCIE and USB3.0 bus"
Otherwise gather openWRT can run on a PC so if can sort free pc can install it or linux on could check further..
Am unable to test 1608 futher as have 32m version so cant use openwrt yet and what i can use has too old if a modemmanager..
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Let us know if you get one running in pure pci mode. I'd love to find a working solution for this particular subject.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Will do!

Further OpenWrt can see on github .com /openwrt/openwrt/pull/10434 that they are working on support for ramips: mt7621: add support for Zbtlink ZBT-WG1608 32M
So hope it wont be too long..

Have an adapter on the way so that I can test it in my windows mini pc as well.. (pain I sold off my full PC's earlier in the year).. But PC's lunux or windows have full drivers so a lot more power when trying to troubleshoot.. Also been looking for another HP system on the cheep that can test on as there seems to be an issue with a refurbed one that I had and it didnt register it at all.

Bit of a pain, the mini only has NGFF M.2 m-key, M.2 A+e Key..
Found a modem converter for NGFF M.2 key M to Mini PCI-E Adapter With SIM and already have converters for PCI-E to M.2 B-Key (Nice part of the converter it that it has a Jumper setting select either PCIe or SATA signals so know its in the right mode and supports what I am wanting..
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I have NEVER found a proper PCI modem adapter for the PC. Let me know if you get a good one.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

What interface and what do you want it to convert too?
Will keep an eye open..
Have been using a USB to mini pcie interface with sim for years.. Works great for using my 4G modem on the PC and also been using it in the usb port on WG1608 32M while invetigating.. Wanted to make the move to m.2 as the modems of interest in upgrade path are all going that way..
Did find a converter realy would have liked that was a single m-key > b-key with sim but they wanted 60$ to ship it..

Challenge with the HP/Lenoxo etc T99W175 modem is that they have no USB funtion/connection.. If was able to get the full version then it can use usb as well.. So would also need to know what ports you PC has.. I am working with onboard m.2 on my mini pc
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

See my posts in this thread for details about what is needed and adapters and such:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=3570

I have two of the T99W175 modems. I have the Lenovo and HP. The HP is harder to get going than the others as it does not have MHI support as of yet. With the proper adapter the lenovo works in both Windows and latest Linux/ModemManager. The HP works with all if you build MHI driver with its VID:PID. OpenWrt-ModemManager also works if you build latest master and also use latest kernel with MHI driver edits.

This was using MiniPC with mPCIe port and an adapter. Most laptops/minipc do NOT have the M.2 Key B slot with "pcie" lanes and only have the USB lanes wired up. What you can also do is use 2 adapters. The referenced adapter in the link above (m.2 to mpcie) and insert it into an "mcpie to m.2 Key AE" adapter. You end up with an adapter in an adapter but it does work and the m.2 key AE is much more popular.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

cool thanks for that info!! I had been looking over that thread and in re-reading noticed I missed a couple of things..
Already have the "Ableconn MPEX-134B" Mini PCIe Adapter too M.2 Key B Slot with sim, have a converter on the way to allow it to plug into my Win mini pc.
At a catch 22 with my routers.. The older while can run latested goodies think it does not have needed pci on the Mini PCIe port while the new is not yet suported on openwrt and what I can run unfortunetly is not up to date enough..
Hopfully in a few weeks will get to see my next leep in progress.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

I started with all types of routers up to my last the WRT32x which is about as fast as they get. I was still being limited by hardware so jumped to "minipc" and never looked back. The MiniPC's can be much more powerful and can come with many more options such as mPCIe port (with pcie and usb lanes). Great little x86 boxes for running things such as OMR/LINUX/WINDOWS10/OPENWRT. Then you can build the latest and greatest x86 version of whichever OS you need and have hardware faster than any router. Just takes more effort if your willing to play and do the work its worth it in the end IMO.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

most interesting and excellent! Sounds similar to my path Been through a good few routers over the years and started with needing stable LTE broadband while on the road and has morphed into trying to get it more robust for bad signal areas via having a master node high or some distance of so was looking to something that could handle a fibre cable.. Also the pain of so few routers with m.2 ports!
For a good few years have been looking for something that had really good performance as also want to use it for a couple of other applications.. had started looking at more pc level things in the last year as the quest has shown routers just have not been keeping up with tech and performance!
With this last fun and now waiting for openwrt will def. be moving to mini PC when have the budget.
If had had the budget earlier in the year there was one would have loved to get and play with (well until I found out more).. plenty network perf with 10gig fibre ports in the form of 2/4 10G SFP+ and m.2 b-key! One item they held me back was in talking to them the mentioned the performance cap on the m.2 port and it was at a level that i suspect they had it connected through USB 3.x port.. "M.2 B key 3052 x 1 (USB3.0) with SIM slot" They replied "For FWS-2365 M.2 B Key USB 3.0 (5G) maximum speed is 1G, if is for USB 2.0 (4G LTE) maximum speed 480Mbps."
Was a let-down but now glad. I asked them to reach out to eng and re-confirm as the other ports claim to also have PCI structure but they never got back to me..
My other path was to look at the HP mini systems as there was some nice abilities to add a full PCI card for other components into them.. Will deff do a re-check when next have some free cash!
Edit: lol typoes cleaned up.. Tied from a week of roofing and cutting vallie tiles.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Woot! Round 1: success.
=Confirmed the modem is not DOA..

The converter had ordered arrived a week early so was able to complete the testing on the mini-PC Windows... Will be testing other adapter combinations to check what does and does not working. for now..
System has
key m - Support 2*M.2 2280 NVME/PCIE3.0x4/SATA SSD+1*2.5 inch SATA HDD/SSD. (normaly had NVME 1gig storage)
Key A+E - Support 2.5G&1G Dual RJ45 Lans+M.2 2230 WiFi/Bluetooth module.

T99W175 modem is - key b

Converter just got: key m too Mini PCI-E Adapter with sim..
Already had: Mini PCI-E Adapter too key b with sim (Ableconn MPEX-134B)

Initially modem was seen but was not seeing the sim.. tried sims in both cards and didn’t help. Tried with sims in both..
=Closer inspection and check of Ableconn MPEX-134B.. It does not have the angle section in the sim socket so the sim can go and click in either way around. When turned it and had the angle side visible on the outside then the sim was seen.
Result, was able to connect and browse the web and ran a speed test that confirmed was the correct ISP detected.

Next tests
A) With finding the other adapter is not working will try the Ableconn MPEX-134B in my older router as had only tested with it. Suspect it does not have needed pci but best to confirm..
B) Have another converter on the way: Key A+E too Mini PCI-E Adapter.. Wanting to test this as good few of the systems have been looking at do have a Key A+E WiFi/Bluetooth module but do not have any other m.2.. If can get it working on there then it would add to possible config options.

Confirmed not working: (will re-check when have time)
-M.2 Key B to Mini PCI-e Adapter NGFF M2 to Mini PCI Express PCIe for 3G 4G 5G Module for Full-size Half-size MPCIe Slots (No Sim)
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

FYI, if you search amazon for:
Mini PCI-E to M.2(NGFF ) Key A/E Adapter with SIM Card Slot
sold by Timack is confirmed working. You can use this adapter along with the Ableconn Key B adapter you have and it will work in M.2 Key A/E slots.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Thanks always good to know of any others that work :)

One challenge with it is of all the other systems I have those ports are jamed in very very tight space and in Half-size format :( Its the pain so when have the time will be looking for one with an Extender Cable were they have a Half-size /Full-size and a cable connect..
IE: Mini PCI-E/mSATA to Mini PCIe Flexible Extender Cable With SIM Card Slot for Mini Card WIFI WWAN WLAN Module for MSATA SSD OR
M.2 NGFF Key A/E/A+E to Mini PCI-E Adapter FPC Cable WiFi Wireless Adpater Supports Half-size Full-size Mini PCI-E Network Card
Nice part of it is can then mount the adapters in a more convenient location..

Working on re-installing an old laptop to play with both Openwrt and Linux build to compair and see what will be of interest and ready for a later round..
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

mtl26637 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:01 pm I started with all types of routers up to my last the WRT32x which is about as fast as they get. I was still being limited by hardware so jumped to "minipc" and never looked back. The MiniPC's can be much more powerful and can come with many more options such as mPCIe port (with pcie and usb lanes). Great little x86 boxes for running things such as OMR/LINUX/WINDOWS10/OPENWRT. Then you can build the latest and greatest x86 version of whichever OS you need and have hardware faster than any router. Just takes more effort if your willing to play and do the work its worth it in the end IMO.
quick questions.. What LINUX version would you think would be the best fot router/firewall as alternative to openwrt??
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

I used ubuntu. Once installed and updated search on the ubuntu wiki for 'BuildYourOwnKernel' and follow the 'apt-get' kernel build instructions so you can build for your installed version. There may be some hickups along the way but you can rebuild and work your way through until successful. Don't forget to edit the mhi driver. Once successful it builds several .deb packages. After they are built you will install those and you should have a working version of ubuntu with modified mhi driver. You will also need to head over to the ModemManager pages and read up on the FCC unlock as you will also need to create the links for the FCC unlock scripts.

The above is for the HP version of the T99W175. The other versions already have MHI driver support and also ModemManager support. I also had to copy the 105b FCC unlock scripts (lenovo version) to 03f0 (HP version) on one of the systems.

Once you get a working version of ubuntu and ModemManager you can then go to settings of your wired connection and under Details "Make available to other users" and under ipv4 and ipv6 set "Shared with other computers" and it will act like DHCP server/router and provide internet connection through the wired connection and will share the WWAN modem connection.

As for OpenWrt/ModemManager its basically the same as above but you will have to build and set a few things under menuconfig and also build with latest kernel and set some more things under kernel_menuconfig. Its not as easy to get going as ubuntu was.

I'm sure i've forgot some things along the way but thats pretty much the basics.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Round 2: success. Kept the test as windows so was easy to see if working..

Still no sign of the needed openwrt version wanted and not holding up hopes as MHI was not visible in package list but will keep checking..

Anyhow: This round was to get a cheap mini pc and see if could get it working..
Challenge was it only had one m.2 port and is in form of wifi/bluetooth m.2 a/e

Ordered of amazon: Shiwaki 1 Set M.2 (NGFF) Key A/E/A+E To Mini PCI-E Adapter With FFC Cables Practical (has a ribon cable so can mount the bulky part were you have space.. ) And it arrived a week and half early so was not expecting this to be tested till over a weeks time :)
Combined that with the trusty Ableconn MPEX-134B: Mini PCI-E Adapter too key b with sim

Device manager picked it up as qualcom..
Installed the HP driver sp138337
Reboot after each..
Bingo connection and an running!

Will be working on re-imaging too linux build in coming week..
Thanks for the help and will keep posted :)

Return to “Modems - Questions and Support”