What's your experience with SimCom modems?

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
vectorized

What's your experience with SimCom modems?

Post by vectorized »

Anyone here use the SimCom 5g Cards? In particular the SIM8202G?

I'm curious about your experience with carrier aggregation, I cant find documentation about it. I assume it must be capable, but idk what I'm doing.

They look developer friendly, and documentation shows how to hack them as needed pretty easily. But I'm still curious why more people dont use them.
Didneywhorl

Re: What's your experience with SimCom modems?

Post by Didneywhorl »

I've never had much luck with them. BillA likes them I think. I don't really. Not much support or very good firmware from my tests, limited as they may be.
packlet
Has thanked: 0

Re: What's your experience with SimCom modems?

Post by packlet »

PSA/FYI, for anyone looking into the SimCom 8200ea-m2, there's a 4-antenna version and a 6-antenna version available, and many/most sellers don't make clear the distinction. The 4-antenna version only supports a subset of the LTE and 5g/NR bands supported by the 6-antenna version, and thus is not suitable for use in the USA (unless you ONLY need band 5)... I was thinking 'why would I wanna mess with 2 more antennas?' so i saved $15 to get the 4-antenna version, only to find it's not useful to me. sigh. Hopefully, this info will save someone else the same pain...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”