Getting throttled using T-Mobile sim and Calyx using different Modem

Topics addressing TTL settings for Throttling, Tethering and Hotspot Usage
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
vahnwinkle

Getting throttled using T-Mobile sim and Calyx using different Modem

Post by vahnwinkle »

I was downloading large data on my WG3526 and Quectel modem, about 150gb. After I downloaded the data I noticed slower internet streaming so I checked the data and found that the router is getting throttled at 10mb down and about 5 upload. I removed the T-Mobile sim card and installed it in my Mifi M2000 that came with Calyx/Mobile Citizen. I verified that the data was not being throttled on the Mifi M2000 BUT when it was installed in my WG3526 with WIFIX firmware, it was only getting 10mb down and 5 up. Is their an AT command I can use to fix the issue. I have had so many problems with my WG3526 and Quectel modem set up using tmobile sims, I am ready to try a different modem or setup. The only thing I can think of is that I messed a setting up in my Quectel RM500 modem and its throttling the modem due to an incorrect setting OR Tmobile can somehow see the setup and is throttling based on different device. I really don't know.

1. I have updated router WIFIX to latest firmware
2. I have updated my Quectel RM500 5g modem with latest firmware.
3. I have reset modem to factory settings using PARA3, PARA1, and CFUN command lines.
4. I have changed my router IP settings to IPV4 only.
5. I have used TTL64 and TTL 65.
6. IMEI is changed to Mifi M2000, so IMEI identity is hidden.

My conclusion is that, my service is NOT throttled. However, when the sim is in my WG3526 using the Quectel modem, I am being throttled to 10 mb up and 5 mb down. I am not sure how or why but with all my changes to my system I suspect it is something to do with an AT command. Does anyone know any AT commands to configure my Quectel RM500Q-AE modem. Help please.
mtl26637

Re: Getting throttled using T-Mobile sim and Calyx using different Modem

Post by mtl26637 »

It sure does seem something recent has changed. I was on a couple different Tmo mvno's until recently and switch to legit Tmo plan. Running an RM500Q-AE, RM502Q-AE and T99W175. Both Quectels seem throttled now. The 502Q won't even connect to 5G anymore, it freezes the modem and it all goes downhill from there with timeout errors until switching to 4G only. Everything was working full speed and fine just a couple months ago and then I started having issues. I'm not sure what has changed but Tmo sure seems to have done something lately, especially with the quectel 5G modems. Anyone have any idea? I've tried all the normal crap also and nothing seems to really fix the issues.
vahnwinkle

Re: Getting throttled using T-Mobile sim and Calyx using different Modem

Post by vahnwinkle »

mtl26637 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:12 pm It sure does seem something recent has changed. I was on a couple different Tmo mvno's until recently and switch to legit Tmo plan. Running an RM500Q-AE, RM502Q-AE and T99W175. Both Quectels seem throttled now. The 502Q won't even connect to 5G anymore, it freezes the modem and it all goes downhill from there with timeout errors until switching to 4G only. Everything was working full speed and fine just a couple months ago and then I started having issues. I'm not sure what has changed but Tmo sure seems to have done something lately, especially with the quectel 5G modems. Anyone have any idea? I've tried all the normal crap also and nothing seems to really fix the issues.
Yea, seems we have similar problems. I am trying to tether my Mifi to my high end asus router so we can get good signal through my house. If I can get that working, I am going to sell my setup and cut my losses. Its too much headache trying to get better signal. All I want is the ability to use antennas but the Mifi doesn't allow this which I find very odd. I have been fighting this internet for 6 months and I am always having issues, from regular disconnects at night to throttled speeds and the inability to be able to band lock to n41. My Mifi band locks to n41 independent so I am not sure why Quecetel cant make this happen. Tmobile is monitoring our use heavily now and I believe they have autonomous systems within the cell towers that monitor bandwidth and use. Been getting 10mb on my 5 g modem for 2 days. Overall, I just think Quectel is not a good modem for tmobile networks anymore. Tmboile is updating and moving along while Quectel is falling really far behind. Word of advice for anyone reading this, dont buy Quectel modems if your planning on using them on Tmobile networks.

Return to “TTL Settings - Throttling, Tethering and Hotspot Usage”