Hardware-Setup Suggestions for Visible Wireless Internet at Camp

This a discussion place for anything related to wireless
kloz8879
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hardware-Setup Suggestions for Visible Wireless Internet at Camp

Post by kloz8879 »

So I have been spending a lot of time trying to find answers so I can proceeded with setting up a low cost/stable IE: minimal issues with dropped connections etc. This setup is going to be for a Camp in the woods where I just need to be able to do IoT lights/thermostat etc and possibly a security camera.. Im leaning towards a ZBTLINK WE826-T2 and an EM12 modem setup with the understanding that I "should" be able to activate a SIM on Visible using a "donor" Android phone, change the IEMI of the EM12 to that of the "Donor" android phone and I "should" be able to get wireless data through my Visible service. I dont care if I only get 5Mbs (If I can mangle the TTL and or use the VPN setup Im cool with it if its reliable, if it has a "well sometimes you have to poke around with it I rather just stick with the 5MB if possible.

Thank you for any input on this! reading through these forms I can tell someone experienced here can give me a quick kick in the right direction and I can take it the rest of the way and contribute back to the community by being that "someone" to give that much needed kick to the next smuck!
Didneywhorl

Re: Hardware-Setup Suggestions for Visible Wireless Internet at Camp

Post by Didneywhorl »

Your number one goal post for remote cellular connectivity solutions for any use is going to be maximizing your signal strength and quality. You can put the cheapest or the most expensive modem on the end of a device and it wont mean anything if you don't have an understanding of how good your signal is. You have to know the strength of the signal, where it is coming from, how your environment effects it, what the quality is along with what in your specific location is effecting it, is there RF noise sources nearby? etc etc.

Get that hammered down and the rest is generally capabilities and choosing which SIM plan to use and hacking how to use it.
kloz8879
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by kloz8879 »

@Didneywhorl thank you for the reply I appreciate the kick. Sorry if it wasn't obvious I have gotten past that point already. I used cellmapper.net and found Verizon was going to be my only choice and did a site survey using the android app "Network Cell Info" The tower is almost direct line of sight ~4.8 Miles away and I was getting just under -81db RSRP. the tower supports bands 2,5,13,66. As for the environment its a camp in the woods and was able to get over the Visible 15Mb limit with a Redpockets Verizon sim so I dont think that will be an issue. What Is getting me is the selection of modems etc. I plan on using Visible if possible (Best price) and Im fine with the tether throttle limit of 5MBs if that's all I can get and not have to keep chasing ways to get more through tinkering with firmware, VPNs, TTL mangling etc. I just want something stable in the sense of I dont need to play with the hardware and constantly reset the thing etc. That's why I am here on this forum to get recommendations on hardware, be it a router with a M2M modem like the WE826 (I like the one device idea with adding the modem in it) or I need a Wireless modem and a BYOD router. Doesn't matter to me. Just feeling out what others like and be able to leverage the experience of others.

Thanks again.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Honestly the NEXS2GO router with the Sierra MC7411 inside has been surprising the heck out of me lately.

Return to “OPEN | UNCLASSIFIED”