Weird Orbi Internet Connection issue

Information related to Orbi routers
Forum rules
Use the search function prior to posting a topic on a subject that already exists
rbart33
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Weird Orbi Internet Connection issue

Post by rbart33 »

I'm having a weird issue with my LBR20 with magic. I've installed the latest voxel firmware and have an external 4x4 MIMO. I'm getting a -87 RSRP and -8 RSRQ which should be enough. Now here comes the odd issue, on my laptop I am able to access the internet fine without any issues. But very randomly our mobile devices (iPhones) will loose network connectivity sometimes for long periods of time. I'll pull up a website on the computer just fine and visit the exact same website on my iPhone and the site doesn't load.
Not sure what else to try besides disabling wifi and enable passthrough Orbi and hook up another router to act as the wifi.
nordicboy2
Has thanked: 0

Re: Weird Orbi Internet Connection issue

Post by nordicboy2 »

I have a similar issue with certain phones connecting to the LBR20 Wifi: Windows, Linux and Android devices all can use the internet fine. A couple older Android phones connect to Wifi, and can reach some web sites, but other web sites never load. If the orbi hasn't been rebooted in a few weeks, the problem gets worse on those particular phones only.

A work-around that has worked for me is to install and use the free cloudflare warp VPN on the problem devices:
https://1.1.1.1/
Also rebooting the orbi every few weeks.

I suspect, but have not proved, that my issue is caused by something strange with the way the orbi handles ipv6 on the local network. Take that with a huge grain of salt.

I found some instructions on disabling ipv6 on the orbi, but I'm hesitant to try them since I'm not sure I could easily revert the changes if needed, especially since the VPN work-around works perfectly.

Disabling ipv6 on the phone might work, but I haven't found a way to do that on Android.

I'm also a couple releases behind on Voxel's firmware, so I am hoping it might be fixed with a newer (or older) version.

Your idea of putting the Orbi in passthrough mode and using a different router might work. I might have to give that try. If you try it, let me know.

Return to “Orbi”