EM160 help with script please

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
JoshKelly

EM160 help with script please

Post by JoshKelly »

Is there a way to write a script that will do a speed test and if the speeds are low (lets say 10mbps or less) change band locks?

Basically alternate between:

AT+QNWPREFCFG="lte_band",30:12:2
AT+CFUN=1,1

and

AT+QNWPREFCFG="lte_band",66:12:2
AT+CFUN=1,1

If speeds are low?

Basically, during the day band 30 has high speeds and at night band 66 has high speeds for us.
Didneywhorl

Re: EM160 help with script please

Post by Didneywhorl »

Interesting idea. Might be simpler to run a script to change bands based on time of day. I've not spent any time with ash scripting, so I'm not yet the guy for that job.
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:15 pm Interesting idea. Might be simpler to run a script to change bands based on time of day. I've not spent any time with ash scripting, so I'm not yet the guy for that job.
This would great too, I didn't even think about it that way :) I will give this a try

Didneywhorl, do you mind if I message you about another issue I am having with the newer ROOTER builds? I feel like maybe it could be just something I am messing up but going from 18.0x to 21.0x my overall setup no longer works
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

JoshKelly wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:07 am
Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:15 pm Interesting idea. Might be simpler to run a script to change bands based on time of day. I've not spent any time with ash scripting, so I'm not yet the guy for that job.
This would great too, I didn't even think about it that way :) I will give this a try

Didneywhorl, do you mind if I message you about another issue I am having with the newer ROOTER builds? I feel like maybe it could be just something I am messing up but going from 18.0x to 21.0x my overall setup no longer works
Sure, though I prefer public posts so everyone can benefit. Your choice.
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

I think I have what I was going to ask you on the downward hill of being solved but I do have another question related to my initial script.

Is there an AT command that I can issue to search/scan for the best band? Our phones do a good job of this while we are at the house and that is actually how I determine what band to lock to right now in rooter. But In rooter is seems like once it connects to a band with all bands selected it is locked to that and its CA's until the modem is restarted, it still connects to the non optimal band after a restart too.

Also does At&t not support QMI or ECM mode? I have to leave mine in the MBIM mode for it to connect.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

CA is a game with the carriers.

Some modems have a scanning command, like the RM5xx series uses AT+QSCAN=3 (when there is no SIM card present) and it will tell you everything the modem can see. Other modems might, but I don't know the command. Some have developed scripts that run on the router itself (MOFI, intsyconnect, etc).

Remember, most phones have multi-billion dollar R&D engineers making them work as optimally as possible, hand in hand with the carriers. These modems in these routers ... not so much. It just us out here.

I have run modems in QMI on ATT. I think it depends on the router sometimes. But I have noticed that in my uses MBIM works on Rooter based routers best, especially with Tmobile and Verizon based connections.
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:40 pm CA is a game with the carriers.

Some modems have a scanning command, like the RM5xx series uses AT+QSCAN=3 (when there is no SIM card present) and it will tell you everything the modem can see. Other modems might, but I don't know the command. Some have developed scripts that run on the router itself (MOFI, intsyconnect, etc).

Remember, most phones have multi-billion dollar R&D engineers making them work as optimally as possible, hand in hand with the carriers. These modems in these routers ... not so much. It just us out here.

I have run modems in QMI on ATT. I think it depends on the router sometimes. But I have noticed that in my uses MBIM works on Rooter based routers best, especially with Tmobile and Verizon based connections.
I can't seem to figure out what is going on with my EM160 or my service. I pay for the highest ATT plan that claims they will never throttle or prioritize me. BUT it seems at some point in the evening/night they start video throttling Band 66 and during the day they video throttle band 30. These are my two main bands. I have been on the phone with them for hours and they claim that all my lines are wide open and shouldn't be throttled. They are working on the tower but I was told this shouldn't change anything.

The weird thing to me is it started happening after the new plans were released a couple months back, which I stayed on my grandfathered plan, before that I was rocking for a year or more with zero issues. But they are exactly the same except for the newer plans don't have HBO included.

This doesn't seem to happen on our two phones but the EM160 it happens every evening/night.

Not sure if I am having modem problems or account issues.

I've been trying to figure out a way to automatically switch between the two bands because it seems like one or the other is throttled but never at the same time.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

What APN are you using?

Try

NRBROADBAND

or

ENHANCEDPHONE
Dlkelley713
Has thanked: 0

Post by Dlkelley713 »

Perhaps it varies by traffic patterns, but in my location ATT usually does throttle video streams (regardless of what they claim). The FAST.COM speed test emulates a video stream. If that test is much lower than other speed tests, you know you're video is throttled. The only way I could get around it is by using a VPN.

Return to “Quectel Modems”