Avoiding tethering limits on ATT using a cradlepoint

HOTSPOT Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
speak
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Avoiding tethering limits on ATT using a cradlepoint

Post by speak »

Hey all,

I live in an area that was damaged by lava, and as such, the whole area has been cut off from fiber lines and other means of internet other than cell towers. Luckily we are close to an ATT tower. I live in a community with 12 people and we set up our own parabolic antenna, we use a cradlepoint modem with an ATT SIM card in it on an "unlimited" plan. Unfortunately with our whole community on one card, we are essentially hitting tethering limits from what it seems.

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on a way to circumvent this. I understand that we might be considered to be "hogging" the tower, but there aren't many people in our area (because most of the houses were burned) and there is no other means of getting a stable internet connection here for us. So putting that aside, is there anything we can do?

Our antenna connects directly to the cradlepoint modem and the cradlepoint connects to a linksys router that distributes traffic to a few other network nodes. We have at least 12 devices connected at any given time. Is there some way to configure the cradlepoint or the linksys router to make ATT think we aren't tethering? hypothetically...

Thanks for any help or ideas!
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Avoiding tethering limits on ATT using a cradlepoint

Post by JimHelms »

Probably the easiest method is to see if there is a ROOTer/GoldenOrb build for your Linksys router. If so, install it on your router and set the Custom Firewall TTL's settings to 65.

In the alternative, you may try using a prepaid iPad unlimited ($20) plan which requires no TTL's--although at some point it may stop working unless the modem IMEI matches that used for the plan.
speak
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Avoiding tethering limits on ATT using a cradlepoint

Post by speak »

JimHelms wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:32 am Probably the easiest method is to see if there is a ROOTer/GoldenOrb build for your Linksys router. If so, install it on your router and set the Custom Firewall TTL's settings to 65.

In the alternative, you may try using a prepaid iPad unlimited ($20) plan which requires no TTL's--although at some point it may stop working unless the modem IMEI matches that used for the plan.
Thanks, will look into it!

Return to “General and Unclassified”