LT18 - Download Speeds Dropping to 0MB/S

mdloading
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LT18 - Download Speeds Dropping to 0MB/S

Post by mdloading »

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums, but I'm not really new to the realm of cellular routers. I purchased an LT18 about 2 weeks ago after my LBR20 went back and it's been working great.

However, I'm dealing with an issue. Whenever I download a file on a device connected to the LT18, the download starts strong, but then immediately drops down to 0 mb/s and eventually just fails. This happens with every device I've tried (iPhone, 2 PCs) and I have yet to find a solution to this issue. Everything else loads well, its just whenever a download any kind of file.

Anybody else dealing with this issue?
Didneywhorl

Re: LT18 - Download Speeds Dropping to 0MB/S

Post by Didneywhorl »

Have you tried using a simple proxy or VPN service and see if it changes through the tunnel?
mdloading

Post by mdloading »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:22 pm Have you tried using a simple proxy or VPN service and see if it changes through the tunnel?
I’m not sure how to do either honestly.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Start here: https://ngrok.com/
mdloading

Post by mdloading »

So how would I set it up on the Cudy?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I am unfortunately not the vpn guy. Search ngrok on here. Im pretty sure others have done openWRT setups.
Cudy is openWRT based
fratermus

Post by fratermus »

mdloading wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:08 pm So how would I set it up on the Cudy?
If you do not have prior experience with VPN I am not convinced this is the time to start. There are costs, both the learning and the $$ (if any) of the service.

I could be off-base here, but I think you could achieve much the same thing by setting up Tor browser as a test case, since it is free and simple to set up. It's possible the upstream is blocking/shaping TOR traffic, too, but it's worth a try. D/L speeds will likely be slower, but if they are >0MB/S then we have learned something.

But having said that, the general flow of setting up a VPN is

1. get VPN service
2. read their configuration info
3. open the VPN setup screen on the Cudy. On my LT500 it's under General Settings | VPN
4. toggle ENABLE to ON (on mine, at least)
5. plug in config info from step #2, apply

Like Didney, I am not a VPN guy and I haven't used it much since ~2007. Since I have servers elsewhere I run ssh tunnels to them and route most traffic that way. "Poor man's VPN", and it doesn't leak if the tunnel drops.

{edited to correct pre-coffee typos}

Return to “Cudy”