Band 71 Modem Recomendations

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
BiscuitsOnTheFloor
Been thanked: 0

Band 71 Modem Recomendations

Post by BiscuitsOnTheFloor »

Hello,
I am in a rural area with only one tower. Fortunately I am within a mile of it, unfortunately it is a T mobile band 71 only tower.

Currently, to get up and running I am using a Franklin T9 connected to an OpenWRT router (Linksys WRT3200ACM) via USB. I get about 3mbs down and 0.5mbs up.

So my question is: What are considered to be the best options at this time for setting up a home connection for band 71 only?

I like the idea of tethering a phone for "legal" unlimited and unthrottled data, but I would really prefer to use external antennas to maximize speed. Does changing the APN and TTL still work for T mobile?

I'm comfortable putting a sierra card into something, but if that is the best route, what devices are good to put them into? are there any "go to" routers/PCs for that route, or is there some reliable off the shelf solution I haven't found yet?

Is it possible I just need to use the internal antenna connectors on the Franklin T9 and configure it to bypass any throttling?
Didneywhorl

Re: Band 71 Modem Recomendations

Post by Didneywhorl »

BiscuitsOnTheFloor wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:41 am Hello,
Welcome! :)
BiscuitsOnTheFloor wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:41 am I am in a rural area with only one tower. Fortunately I am within a mile of it, unfortunately it is a T mobile band 71 only tower.

Currently, to get up and running I am using a Franklin T9 connected to an OpenWRT router (Linksys WRT3200ACM) via USB. I get about 3mbs down and 0.5mbs up.

So my question is: What are considered to be the best options at this time for setting up a home connection for band 71 only?
Answer below

BiscuitsOnTheFloor wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:41 am I like the idea of tethering a phone for "legal" unlimited and unthrottled data, but I would really prefer to use external antennas to maximize speed. Does changing the APN and TTL still work for T mobile?
Yes, they do still work.
BiscuitsOnTheFloor wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:41 am I'm comfortable putting a sierra card into something, but if that is the best route, what devices are good to put them into? are there any "go to" routers/PCs for that route, or is there some reliable off the shelf solution I haven't found yet?

Is it possible I just need to use the internal antenna connectors on the Franklin T9 and configure it to bypass any throttling?
The Franklin can be hacked to modify it for your needs I think, but you do it once and would need to specify the needed changes. IF you need anything changed again, I don't think you can do that yourself.

Honestly, for B71 I would go with a NEXQ6GO-U router with a Sierra MC7411 modem.

Router: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-rou ... fi-router/
Modem: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/sierra-w ... ced-modem/

Drop the modem in the router. Set TTL and APN. Done.

Hook up antennas if you need. A set of these are tuned to use B71 by spec and are very good:
Qty 2 x https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... l-antenna/

Cables are on thewirelesshaven.com as well. Shorter the better, higher quality (LMR400) is better as well, but LMR200 can work well enough up to 20 foot. B71 is a low frequency and thus cable losses will be less over the cables than some of the higher frequency bands.

thewirelesshaven can order custom, made just for you, cables as well.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

If you wanted a POE option, or a gigbit router to handle all of your networks routing, then the WG3526-P would be a drop in option as well.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-routers/wg3526-p/
BiscuitsOnTheFloor

Post by BiscuitsOnTheFloor »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:31 pm Welcome! :)

Thank you so much for the thorough answer! I will read through some of the existing posts on modifying the T9 while I wait for all the equipment to get here. What exactly is the "upgrade modem firmware" option? Is it just a newer version or an alternative firmware?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Newer version. Newest available at the time of purchase
carp4
Has thanked: 0

Post by carp4 »

Also consider the Cudy AX1800 LT18 router. B71 capable, CAT18, WiFi 6, removable 4G antennas so you can change to outdoor if needed, supports TTL modification, AT command interface for all the usual Quectel AT commands, and fully compatible with the Cudy mesh wifi system so you can expand as needed to eliminate dead spots.

Edit: also EM060K-GL or EM120K-GL support B71

Edit:
Newer modem out there that works with rooter firmware.
L860-GL-16
The “-16” version has B71 and around $50 on Aliexpress.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”