Anyway to pull in this band?

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
mrswrigels
Has thanked: 0

Anyway to pull in this band?

Post by mrswrigels »

Hello,

First time poster. I live in a heavily wooded area using Sprint. I can get about 2 bars of LTE by the window on band 26. I've been looking to buy a directional antenna setup and boost my signal.

There are Sprint towers that are roughly a mile away. When I go down my road with less tree obstruction, my iPhone can connect to Band 41 and the speeds are great.

My question is: Is there anyway to pull in that band? I know the FCC doesn't allow boosting that signal but would it be possible to bring it in with an antenna and disperse it at my residence? I can get the antenna pretty high above the tree line.

Any help appreciated :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Re: Anyway to pull in this band?

Post by Didneywhorl »

Yeah dude, for sure. A good quality pair or quad, depending on your modem, flat panel antennas will collect that up real good if at all possible. Yagis and so forth don't seem to work as well, but they do work pretty dern good. No "Boosters" leave those for cell phone talkers.

thewirelesshaven.com has some cool stuff for that. I use a few different ones on Sprint. B41 can rock the speeds.
mrswrigels

Post by mrswrigels »

Interesting I'll take a look in to those!
The only problem is I don't actually have a modem/router hot spot. Just my iPhone7 that I use as the hot spot.
Is it possible to get a router that would disperse cell signal without it having a hotspot plan with sim? Or an outdoor antenna to indoor omni antenna?
New to this stuff, not exactly sure how it works yet.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Yeah, you can tether your phone via usb to a router that can take usb modem as WAN. I believe most routers that can use WiFix firmware can support that.

BillA knows a bit about this.
mrswrigels

Post by mrswrigels »

Awesome, I'll do some research. Thank you!
BillA

Tethering a phone to a router via USB

Post by BillA »

mrswrigels wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:44 pm Awesome, I'll do some research. Thank you!

The preferred method for tethering a phone to a router is via a USB cable, which is faster than WiFi and also charges the phone at the same time. It's actually quite simple to do it on a router which has a USB port and is flashable with OpenWRT firmware like GoldenOrb or WiFix. Here's a list of all such routers:

https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/firmware16.html
https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... bD7Y2WNETn

Use the failsafe bootloader method to flash the firmware:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6007#p6007

It works with most Androids which create a Modem/QMI/RNDIS interface when tethering is enabled. Haven't tested it with an iPhone, so you could try it via USB or WiFi instead as described here.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=10303#p10303
mrswrigels

Post by mrswrigels »

I'm gonna give this a shot. Didn't know it was possible. Thanks for the reply :)
mrswrigels

Post by mrswrigels »

The drawbacks of tethering a phone to the router, are that you have to enable tethering every time you connect the the phone, and can't attach external antennas for better signal/speed. I happen to have a Tmobile tower less than half a mile away in a line of sight, so my signal is extremely good without external antennas.
Hi again BillA,
I was looking at some routers to do this with and realized that you had said if I connect my phone to the router to usb tether, I can't attach external antennas to boost the signal? So does this mean I'd just essentially just be turning on my iPhone 7 hotspot and and broadcasting signal through wifi on the router?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

mrswrigels wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:54 pm Hi again BillA,
I was looking at some routers to do this with and realized that you had said if I connect my phone to the router to usb tether, I can't attach external antennas to boost the signal? So does this mean I'd just essentially just be turning on my iPhone 7 hotspot and and broadcasting signal through wifi on the router?
Sort of. You would be turning the router into a wifi hotspot using your cell phones data connection as a modem.
BillA

Tethering a phone to a router via USB or WiFi

Post by BillA »

mrswrigels wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:54 pm Hi again BillA,

1. Purpose for tethering a phone to a router via USB or WiFi

The purpose for tethering a phone to a router via USB or WiFi, is to be able to use the phone's unlimited mobile data just like having an external cable/DSL/LTE modem connected to a router, with data speeds equal to the phone's mobile connection. Instead of a phone, an LTE modem in an external USB enclosure can also be tethered to the router, though it won't be able to bypass the carrier's restrictions easily (a phone will by it very nature).

While you cannot attach an external antenna to the phone, a booster is not recommended which doesn't seem to increase data speeds (works mostly for voice calls). The best way to improve the signal/speed is by placing the phone in a window area, as high up as possible like an attic, top floor, or outdoors in a housing.

2. Advantages of tethering a phone to a router via USB or WiFi

There are many advantages of tethering a phone to a router via USB or WiFi compared to just turning on the phone's WiFi Hotspot or using an internal modem in the router.

1. It can bypass the carrier's hotspot/tether data limit through the router's TTL/DNS settings.

2. It can bypass the carrier's imei restriction of a modem the legal way, especially useful for ATT's iPad/tablet/prepaid plans, and others. Note, that only a phone can bypass the imei restriction, a modem cannot.

3. The router can broadcast a stronger dual band WiFi-2G/5G signal simultaneously, while most phone hotspots cannot.

4. The router acts as a full featured router with its own DHCP server for both dynamic and static IPs, port forwarding, DMZ, and other advanced features.

5. You can use a cheap used phone which has a higher CAT#12-22 modem inside including a newer 5G phone (check the phone's specs for the CAT#). While you cannot attach an external antenna to the phone, you can usually get a better signal/speed than with a lower CAT# internal modem.

6. By extending the router's USB port instead of its ethernet port, you can mount a phone or modem remotely in or outdoors (in a plastic housing), allowing the router to be left inside the home for easy access for diagnostics and full WiFi access without the need for a second main router, along with better protection from the heat and cold. A single USB3 active extension cable can provide both power and data connection from the router to the phone or modem. If tethering via WiFi is used instead with a phone, then only a single power cable is required, data is transmitted via WiFi to the router. Here's more info about using a USB extension cable setup:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6586#p6586

3. Preferred method for tethering

The preferred method for tethering a phone to a router is via a USB cable, which is faster than WiFi and also charges the phone at the same time. It's actually quite simple to do it on a router which has a USB port and is flashable with OpenWRT firmware like GoldenOrb or WiFix. Here's a list of all such routers:

https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/firmware16.html
https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... bD7Y2WNETn

Use the failsafe bootloader method to flash the firmware:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6007#p6007

It works with most Androids which create a QMI/RNDIS interface when tethering is enabled. Haven't tested it with an iPhone, so just try it or you could tether via WiFi instead as described further down (5. Tethering a phone to a router via WiFi).

4. Tethering a phone to a router via USB

On the phone go to Settings > Cellular/Connections/Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names (APN)
Create a new APN profile by tapping "ADD" or the 3-dot-menu on the top right, then enter the following parameters:

Name: <enter your carrier's name>
APN: <enter your carrier's APN, make sure it's correct!>
MMSC: <you may leave it blank for tethering purposes only>
MMSC Proxy: <you may leave it blank for tethering purposes only>
Authentication Type: select "None"
APN Type: admin,default,DUN,supl
Note, there are no spaces between the words above, and "DUN" must be all capital letters.
APN Protocol: IPv4 (must be IPv4!)
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4 (must be IPv4!)

Tap on the 3-dot-menu on the top right, then Save.
Select the new APN by tapping on the round selection button on the left of the new APN.

Restart the phone, turn off WiFi, and test the web by running the speed test below in the phone's browser.
http://www.bing.com/widget/t/speedtest
If unable to browse the web, then you must fix the APN profile before going any further.

On most Samsung phones (depending on carrier firmware), you can dial *#0808# and set it to "RNDIS+DM+Modem".
With this setting, once you activate USB Tethering on the phone, tethering will stay on even if you disconnect/reconnect the USB cable. You will only need to reactivate USB Tethering if you restart the phone.
If the above dialing command doesn't work, can do the same setting on any phone including different Android brands, by enabling Developer Options > USB Configuration > set RNDIS (USB ethernet). Search the web on "how to enable Developer Options".

Restart the phone, turn off WiFi, and connect it to the router's USB port via a USB charging/data cable.

On the phone go to Settings > Cellular/Connections/Network > Personal Hotspot/Mobile Tethering, and turn on USB Tethering. The location of the tethering menu may be slightly different on each phone model, so look around the menus to find it. If it's prompting whether to use both USB and WiFi/Bluetooth, choose USB only, and make sure to turn off WiFi on the phone.

On the router disable the internal modem, or better yet physically remove it, otherwise it could create a conflict with the tethered phone.

Go to Modem > Network Status > Prev/Next Modem > to select the tethered phone (usually "usb0/1")

Go to Modem > Connection Profile > fill in the proper APN for your carrier, then click SAVE&APPLY

Go to Network > Firewall > Custom TTL Settings > make sure that the settings checkbox is DISABLED, then click SAVE&APPLY

Go to Network > Firewall > Custom Rules > copy and paste the "iptable" lines below to the bottom of the rules window, then click RESTART FIREWALL.
Make sure to edit the TTL (65) at the end of each line with the one required for your carrier.
If it's using limited hotspot data, then you could try TTL values 64/65/66/117, click on Restart Firewall and test it again.

Code: Select all

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j HL --hl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb1 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb1 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb1 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb1 -j HL --hl-set 65
Click Save&Apply.

To disable IPv6 and set a custom DNS in the router, go to:

Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > Common Configuration > General Setup tab > IPv6 Assignment Length > select "Disabled"

Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > Common Configuration > Advanced Settings tab > Use Builtin IPv6 Management > uncheck the box

Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > DHCP Server > IPv6 Settings tab > select "Disabled" on the first three items

Network > Interfaces > LAN > General Setup > Use Custom DNS Servers > set the DNS to 8.8.8.8/9.9.9.9

Click Save&Apply.

Finally, restart the router, wait 5 minutes to boot up fully, enable USB Tethering on the phone, then test the web.

Keep in mind, you have to manually turn on USB Tethering on the phone every time you re-power or connect it to the router, but nothing else needs to be done on the router after the initial setup. In order to turn on USB Tethering automatically whenever the phone is turned on, you can use an app like Automate, AutoInput, or Tasker from the PlayStore.

You can use a cheap used phone which has a CAT#12 or higher modem including a 5G phone (check the phone's specs for the CAT#). While you cannot add an external antenna to a phone, even without it you can usually get a better signal/speed than with a lower CAT# internal modem.

If everything has been done correctly, you should be able to use your phone's unlimited mobile data through the router along with all of its advanced features.

5. Tethering a phone to a router via WiFi

If the router is missing the proper USB phone drivers, you can tether the phone to the router via WiFi using the router's WiFi Hotspot feature (works on OpenWRT firmware like GoldenOrb or WiFix).

On the phone go to Settings > Cellular/Connections/Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names (APN)
Create a new APN profile by tapping "ADD" or the 3-dot-menu on the top right, then enter the following parameters:

Name: <enter your carrier's name>
APN: <enter your carrier's APN, make sure it's correct!>
MMSC: <you may leave it blank for tethering purposes only>
MMSC Proxy: <you may leave it blank for tethering purposes only>
Authentication Type: select "None"
APN Type: admin,default,DUN,supl
Note, there are no spaces between the words above, and "DUN" must be all capital letters.
APN Protocol: IPv4 (must be IPv4!)
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4 (must be IPv4!)

Tap on the 3-dot-menu on the top right, then Save.
Select the new APN by tapping on the round selection button on the left of the new APN.

Restart the phone, turn off WiFi, and test the web by running the speed test below in the phone's browser.
If unable to browse the web, then you must fix the APN profile before going any further.

Set up the phone's WiFi Hotspot by changing its default name and password, set the tether timeout to "Off" or "Always on", then turn on the hotspot and plug in a charger. If you're out of mobile hotspot data on your phone, you should still be able to turn it on in most cases, however sometimes the hotspot may be blocked by the carrier to even turn on, so try a different phone.

On the router disable the internal modem, or better yet physically remove it.

Go to Services > WiFi Hotspot Manager > click on Enable Hotspot Connection

Select the "WiFi Radio Frequency" (2G/5G) to match the WiFi Hotspot frequency on the phone.

Set "Connection Mode" to Automatic

Click on "In Range Refresh"

In the "Available Network List" at the bottom of the page click on "Add To List" and select the phone's WiFi Hotpot name.

In the "WiFi Hotspot Networks" window click on the phone's WiFi Hotspot name you have just added, enter the password, then Save&Apply. It should connect automatically from now on as soon as you turn on the phone's WiFi Hotspot.

Go to Network > Firewall > Custom Rules > copy and paste the "iptable" lines below to the bottom of the rules window, then click RESTART FIREWALL.
Make sure to edit the TTL (65) at the end of each line with the one required for your carrier.
If it's using limited hotspot data, then you could try TTL values 64/65/66/117, click on Restart Firewall and test it again.

Code: Select all

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wlan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wlan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wlan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wlan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wlan1 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wlan1 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wlan1 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wlan1 -j HL --hl-set 65
Click Save&Apply.

To disable IPv6 and set a custom DNS in the router, go to:

Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > Common Configuration > General Setup tab > IPv6 Assignment Length > select "Disabled"

Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > Common Configuration > Advanced Settings tab > Use Builtin IPv6 Management > uncheck the box

Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > DHCP Server > IPv6 Settings tab > select "Disabled" on the first three items

Network > Interfaces > LAN > General Setup > Use Custom DNS Servers > set the DNS to 8.8.8.8/9.9.9.9

Click Save&Apply.

Finally, reboot the router, wait 5 minutes to boot up fully, enable USB Tethering again, wait a minute, then test the web.

Keep in mind, you have to manually turn on the phone's WiFi Hotspot every time you re-power or connect it to the router, but nothing else needs to be done on the router after the initial setup. In order to turn on the phone's WiFi Hotspot automatically whenever the phone is re-powered, you can use an app like Automate, AutoInput, or Tasker from the PlayStore.

You can use a cheap used phone which has a CAT#12 or higher modem including a 5G phone (check the phone's specs for the CAT#). While you cannot add an external antenna to a phone, even without it you can usually get a better signal/speed than with a lower CAT# internal modem.

If everything has been done correctly, you should be able to use your phone's unlimited mobile data through the router along with all of its advanced features.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello
Has anyone got tether with rooter to work for Verizon? Everytime I try it get throttled big time.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:54 pm Hello
Has anyone got tether with rooter to work for Verizon? Everytime I try it get throttled big time.

First, make sure that you're not throttled while running a speed test in the phone's browser.
On the router set the TTL to 65/117, and if you're still throttled then create a custom firewall rule and try TTL 64/116/118.
Unfortunately some phones modify the TTL regardless of the router's setting, which can be fixed using a TTL changer app like TTL Value Editor (requires root) from the PlayStore:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ttl.editor
Didneywhorl

Re: Tethering a phone to a router via USB or WiFi

Post by Didneywhorl »

BillA wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:44 am 1. Purpose for tethering a phone to a router via USB or WiFi

The purpose for tethering a phone to a router via USB or WiFi, is to be able to use the phone's unlimited mobile data just like having an external cable/DSL/LTE modem connected to a router, with data speeds equal to the phone's mobile connection. Instead of a phone, an LTE modem in an external USB enclosure can also be tethered to the router, though it won't be able to bypass the carrier's imei restriction (a phone can).

Bill, you need to make this a tutorial post. :)
Grizz
Been thanked: 0

Post by Grizz »

Slightly older post but figured I would ask. Anyone know if this will work with amplifi hd mesh network?
BillA

Post by BillA »

Grizz wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:43 pm Slightly older post but figured I would ask. Anyone know if this will work with amplifi hd mesh network?

As long as the main mesh unit is OpenWRT/GoldenOrb flashable, and has a usb port, then yes (without a usb port you could tether the phone to the router via WiFi). If it's not flashable, then you could connect the mesh unit's WAN port to any compatible mobile router's LAN port which supplies the internet, and the mesh part will function just fine.
billyjacko

Post by billyjacko »

BillA wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:44 am Go to Network > Firewall > Custom Rules > copy and paste the two lines below to the bottom of the rules window, then click RESTART FIREWALL.
Adjust the tethered "usb<x>" device (usually "usb0") and TTL values (64/65/117) for your specific carrier.

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65

Finally, restart the router, enable USB Tethering again on the phone and test your internet connection.
You may have to reselect the tethered phone under Modem > Network Status > Prev/Next Modem (usually "usb0").
A couple of questions. What is the 'tethered "usb<x>" for specific carriers? I left it usb0, but when I go to Prev/Next modem, I'm only seeing the name of the phone not usb0. I saw in another thread to try;
gscheb wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:29 am
#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 117
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j HL --hl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j HL --hl-set 117
#end TTL rules

^I changed 117 to 65 for ATT
Also, I'm getting an internet connection via the rooter wifi. For whatever reason. For whatever reason I'm not getting a connection on my Linksys router. I've had to go to USB tether because the jig is up on just plugging a sim into the device with custom ttl. Tried both cricket and att and I'm getting the boot.
Rizzader

Post by Rizzader »

@BillA

Sorry old post, but any cost effective Android phone/router combo you recommend?

Currently only have iPhones in my household, along with a nighthawk M1
BillA

Post by BillA »

Rizzader wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:46 am @BillA

Sorry old post, but any cost effective Android phone/router combo you recommend?

Pretty much any Android will work fine, as long as it has USB Tether option in settings. I use a Samsung S9 with great results of around 200Mbps peak speeds (with good signal of course). As a 5G upgrade I'm planning on picking up a low cost/used Samsung A51/A71-5G (SM-A516U/A716U are 5G models, and the A515U/A715U models are 4G-LTE only).
Till Apple drivers are fully implemented into the router's firmware, you can tether any iPhone/iPad via WiFi for now.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

I don't think the Samsung A51 or the A71 pick up low band 5G. I was thinking about doing the same thing, but will probably look to a phone that picks up both the low and mid band. Just something to consider for people who are more rural, like myself.
BillA

Post by BillA »

BDF1234 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:43 am I don't think the Samsung A51 or the A71 pick up low band 5G. I was thinking about doing the same thing, but will probably look to a phone that picks up both the low and mid band. Just something to consider for people who are more rural, like myself.

As I mentioned previously, there are two versions of the A51/A71 phones.
The SM-A515U/A715U models are 4G-LTE only, and the Samsung SM-A516U/A716U are 5G for ATT and Tmobile.
There's also an mmWave version for Verizon the SM-A516V/A716V models.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

BillA wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:38 am As I mentioned previously, there are two versions of the A51/A71 phones.
The SM-A515U/A715U models are 4G-LTE only, and the Samsung SM-A516U/A716U are 5G for ATT and Tmobile.
There's also an mmWave version for Verizon the SM-A516V/A716V models.
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that. Sorry to add confusion.

I think some of the phone spec websites do not give accurate info on the cellular band capabilities of the device.
BillA

Post by BillA »

BDF1234 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:59 am Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that. Sorry to add confusion.

I think some of the phone spec websites do not give accurate info on the cellular band capabilities of the device.

No problem, here's are a couple of sites which seems to have pretty accurate specs on all phones.

SM-A516U
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsu ... 5G_id11400

SM-A516V
https://www.phonemore.com/specs/samsung ... -sm-a516v/
paperwastage

Post by paperwastage »

It's also not fully accurate

The a71 5G is certified for many more 5G bands, but tmobile version only has the choice of n41/n71, SA/NSA on either(after a firmware update) with no 5G CA afaik

On the various websites for a71 5g (sm-a716u) and the fcc docs, it says 5G n2, 5, 41, 66, 71
Spazz21

Post by Spazz21 »

BillA wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:44 am 1. Purpose for tethering a phone to a router via USB or WiFi

On the router disable the internal modem, or better yet physically remove it, otherwise it could create a conflict with the tethered phone.

Im not finding any option to disable or remove it? Running a GL-AR750

Go to Modem > Network Status > Prev/Next Modem > to select the tethered phone (usually "usb0/1")

Go to Modem > Connection Profile > fill in the proper APN for your carrier, then click SAVE&APPLY
Spazz21

Post by Spazz21 »

BillA wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:44 am

Im not seeing any option to disable or delete modem. Running a GL-AR750.

The only option I have under modem is "/dev/ttyACM0", no usb option. I only see usb 0 under tethering.

Go to Services > WiFi Hotspot Manager > click on Enable Hotspot Connection

Select the "WiFi Radio Frequency" (2G/5G) to match the WiFi Hotspot frequency on the phone.

Set "Connection Mode" to Automatic

Click on "In Range Refresh"

In the "Available Network List" at the bottom of the page click on "Add To List" and select the phone's WiFi Hotpot name.
Im not finding any of these options. Again running GL-AR750 with Openwrt
Followed everything else to a T. What am i missing?
Slowlanenomads

Post by Slowlanenomads »

Not to highjack the thread but a quick question... I'm following the settings to tether but when I switch the APN to IPv4 on the phone, I lose 4g. Switch it back to IPv6 and I'm connected.
Any thoughts?
Needless to say, even going through the entire instructions, and connecting to the Wifi, I barely hit 1 MBs with the speed test.
Speed test on the phone is around 40 MBs.
I must have something incorrect?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Slowlanenomads wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:03 pm Not to highjack the thread but a quick question... I'm following the settings to tether but when I switch the APN to IPv4 on the phone, I lose 4g. Switch it back to IPv6 and I'm connected.
Any thoughts?
Needless to say, even going through the entire instructions, and connecting to the Wifi, I barely hit 1 MBs with the speed test.
Speed test on the phone is around 40 MBs.
I must have something incorrect?
Which devices are you using?
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

@ Slowlanenomads
I dont know what device you have and I am not going to read this entire thread but....
If you set your apn to ipv4 only then you should also disable ipv6 or no data for you on most devices.
gopalsullen

Post by gopalsullen »

BillA wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:19 am
Rizzader wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:46 am @BillA

Pretty much any Android will work fine, as long as it has USB Tether option in settings. I use a Samsung S9 with great results of around 200Mbps peak speeds (with good signal of course). As a 5G upgrade I'm planning on picking up a low cost/used Samsung A51/A71-5G (SM-A516U/A716U are 5G models, and the A515U/A715U models are 4G-LTE only).
Till Apple drivers are fully implemented into the router's firmware, you can tether any iPhone/iPad via WiFi for now.
I have this setup working for me via TTL mangle in firewall settings but have encountered an issue I need advice on:

Setup: Samsung A32 5g OR Samsung Galaxy S5 (as modem tethered via USB) > GL-MT300N-V2 (Mango via ethernet) > Local router

I picked up a OnePlus Nord N200 5g phone and get blazing speed (~185 Mbps) when tethering it, but despite using the identical modified APN connected to the same hardware in the same configuration, the tethering data is being tracked as hotspot instead of handheld on-device data. I just switched back to the Samsung phone and now the data is logged as coming from on-device again.

Anyone have an idea how to sort this out so I can use the OnePlus phone without burning hotspot data? It seems to get better reception and speed than the Samsungs. Thanks!
gopalsullen

Post by gopalsullen »

For the record, I solved the problem for others who might encounter it. The OnePlus Nord N200 5G phone has a software issue that prevents the APN settings from being saved. You think you are making the changes, but when you click save certain critical fields revert to defaults.

The solution I used was to download an app from the Google Play store called AddAPN which allowed me to save the needed settings for it to work properly. This app should work for other Android phones that might have similar issues.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Return to “Questions and Support”