Orbi LBR20 How-To / Megathread

How To Tutorials related to Routers and Firmware
Forum rules
This forum is for tutorials only--not for help or assistance.
hazarjast

Re: Orbi LBR20 How-To / Megathread

Post by hazarjast »

mellow65 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:51 pm Have you bricked your device? Did a firmware fail to upload and you had no choice to yank the plug? Is the light just sitting there blinking mocking you, EFF YOU, EFF YOU.

I did.

This saved my bacon.
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-do ... =000059634

If you don't have TFTP installed on your computer, try this.
https://teckangaroo.com/enable-tftp-windows-10/

I pushed the recommended firmware V2.5.2.20, took just seconds, and what a sign of relief!

Don't know if this fixes it all, but it saved me!!
Thanks for this, I knew I was forgetting an important section at the end of the OP and this would be it (link to netgear unbricking instructions). I've updated the OP with the links provided :)
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

papaburr wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:02 am pretty much a factory reset..start from scratch. i just flashed netgear fw via tftp and flashed voxel version prior and still resets
This sounds like possibly bad flash or other faulty hardware unfortunately :(
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

mellow65 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:26 am There are directions in the quick start guide to do a VPN. I also believe you can set it up via the GUI. I have not played with this yet.
The only option available in the GUI is setting up the stock Netgear OpenVPN server. OVPN and WireGuard 'client' config would be done via SSH in Voxel at the command line.
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

kjunmed wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:34 am Having difficulty performing Magic after a hardcore IMEI setting several weeks ago (AT+QPRTPARA=1). I need to change the IMEI back and I am getting an error after each magic command. Is there a way to reopen or revert back to the IMEI the device came with? I am able to perform other commands, do not understand why not allowing the command?? I have tried the factory reset without success.
If you are on the A06 modem firmware then you should not have to mess with +QPRTPARA=1; it is a sensitive setting for NVRAM that really shouldn't be touched if at all possible. If a factory reset has not helped then you may need to run a +QPRTPARA=3 which will factory reset the modem but be sure to follow it up with +QPRTPARA=1 else settings will not save properly to NVRAM after the next power cycle. Do NOT use +QPRTPARA=3 as it is very hard on the flash memory (lots of writes) and will decrease the longevity of the flash on the modem.
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

nordicboy2 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:36 am Has anyone figured out how to do something similar with Voxel's firmware?

The DNS settings on the web interface in 'Advanced' -> 'Setup' -> 'Internet Setup' -> 'Internet' are ignored (at least in V9.2.5.2.30SF-HW).
For custom DNS it is recommended to use Stubby or DNSCrypt. The config for those is covered in the Voxel QuickStart.txt. For full instructions refer to the Stubby and DNSCrypt documentation.
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

nordicboy2 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:06 pm I found a solution to my own question about how to set custom DNS servers. My solution seems to work for now, but it is really ugly.

I created a script that runs at startup and continues to overwrite /tmp/resolv.conf every minute.

Hopefully someone else has a better solution than this or can foresee problems with this one.

/mnt/circle/overlay/etc/rc.local

Code: Select all

/mnt/circle/overlay/opt/scripts/fixdns.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 &
exit 0
/mnt/circle/overlay/opt/scripts/fixdns.sh

while true;
do
sleep 60
/bin/cp /mnt/circle/mods/resolv.conf /tmp/resolv.conf
done
Yes, this is one way to use your custom DNS. Since '/tmp' lives in memory you shouldn't have to worry about wearing out the router flash.
nordicboy2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by nordicboy2 »

hazarjast wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:24 pm
nordicboy2 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:06 pm I found a solution to my own question about how to set custom DNS servers. My solution seems to work for now, but it is really ugly.

I created a script that runs at startup and continues to overwrite /tmp/resolv.conf every minute.

Hopefully someone else has a better solution than this or can foresee problems with this one.

exit 0

while true;
do
sleep 60
done
Yes, this is one way to use your custom DNS. Since '/tmp' lives in memory you shouldn't have to worry about wearing out the router flash.
Maybe a better solution for custom DNS would be to simply overwrite the link at /etc/resolv.conf using the circle overlay at /mnt/circle/overlay/etc/resolv.conf

Would that work?
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

nordicboy2 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:04 am
hazarjast wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:24 pm

exit 0

while true;
do
sleep 60
done
Maybe a better solution for custom DNS would be to simply overwrite the link at /etc/resolv.conf using the circle overlay at /mnt/circle/overlay/etc/resolv.conf

Would that work?
Not if another netgear service decides to overwrite or refresh it.
nordicboy2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by nordicboy2 »

I noticed the latest Voxel firmware for the LBR20 from May 6 has this change:

9.2.5.2.31SF-HW:
5. Upgrade 'dnsmasq' package from the stock Orbi RBK50 firmware V2.7.4.24.

Any chance this will fix the custom DNS issue?
Can I just install the latest Voxel firmware over the last Voxel firmware? Would I lose my settings or scripts?
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

nordicboy2 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:19 am I noticed the latest Voxel firmware for the LBR20 from May 6 has this change:

9.2.5.2.31SF-HW:
5. Upgrade 'dnsmasq' package from the stock Orbi RBK50 firmware V2.7.4.24.

Any chance this will fix the custom DNS issue?
Can I just install the latest Voxel firmware over the last Voxel firmware? Would I lose my settings or scripts?
This is just maintenance/bug fix release of dnsmasq. Custom DNS it's still recommended to setup something yourself that overwrites '/etc/resolv.conf' or use the officially supported Stubby/DNSCrypt solutions offered by Voxel natively.

Yes, you can just install the latest update, it should not remove any settings/scripts.
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

Updated OP link to latest Voxel firmware:
https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Download ... 1SF-HW.zip

Release notes can be found here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custo ... -hw.78815/

Return to “Tutorials”