Damaged port on CBA850

Cradlepoint Router Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
quack
Been thanked: 0

Damaged port on CBA850

Post by quack »

I have two CBA850s...one which was primary and one which was backup configured (I believe) the same. Recently we had a storm and the equipment on LAN2 (PoE) stopped working. I was able to connect directly to the device on LAN1 from my laptop, but not on LAN2. When I try to connect to LAN2, the LAN2 lights don't even light up. Luckily I was able to pop my backup in and was right back up and running.

Question though...is it typical to lose a LAN port through a lightning strike? This port connected to a WiFi access point and in between the AP and the router are a Ubiquiti surge protector and a PoE injector. Both of those seem to be functioning properly. I also did a complete factory reset on the router with the bad ethernet port and I'm still not able to connect. Seems strange that I would lose the ethernet port and not fry the AP, surge protector or PoE injector, especially since I've been told the CBA850 is pretty rugged.

Anything else I can test on the device to see if possibly there's some other reason I can't connect on LAN2?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Damaged port on CBA850

Post by JimHelms »

quack wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:54 am Question though...is it typical to lose a LAN port through a lightning strike?
Yes, and unfortunately, it is not uncommon.

There is probably only a single resister or diode blown, but it may be easier and cheaper just to pick up another CBA850.

In the alternative, you could use a GB PoE Splitter which plugs into the 12v Barrel connector on the CBA850.

You might also reach out to SALES on the Wireless Haven store and inquire about a bare-bone CBA850 (i.e., just the router PCBA or CBA850 with no modem).
quack
Been thanked: 0

Post by quack »

Thanks Jim for the quick reply. Great to know about the bare bones option since I wouldn't need the modem.

Follow-up question and please let me know if I should run this through Wireless Haven sales instead: I'm getting a replacement SIM from Calyx soon and will likely start upgrading equipment to allow me to use the 5G bands. My current my modem is EM7565 in a USB sled and I will probably upgrade to the new sled and EM9191 from Wireless Haven once the new Calyx SIM is working reliably. If I get the EM9191 with a reliable 5G signal, will I be limited by the CBA850 or should I consider some other device? I'm familiar with the CBA850 and it's been reliable over the past few years and it works will with my network, so if it doesn't limit my 5G capability, I would probably stay with it.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

quack wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:38 am Thanks Jim for the quick reply. Great to know about the bare bones option since I wouldn't need the modem.
I will probably upgrade to the new sled and EM9191 from Wireless Haven once the new Calyx SIM is working reliably. If I get the EM9191 with a reliable 5G signal, will I be limited by the CBA850 or should I consider some other device?
Unfortunately, the CBA850 will not recognize the EM919X modems. You will need to upgrade your router as well.

I would email the store and explain your situation and ask for their recommendations for equipment.

Return to “Cradlepoint Routers”