May have bricked new Nexp1go :(

Topics related to WiFiX branded routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
wiredaddy
Has thanked: 0

May have bricked new Nexp1go :(

Post by wiredaddy »

I may have just bricked my new Nexp1Go router. Messing with some settings, I disabled the 2.4ghz wifi signal. This somehow made my 5G also inoperable. My devices can see the 5G but not 2.4G. I try to connect to the 5G but get the error "Cannot receive i.p address"
This means I cannot access the router firmware via wifi anymore.
I have a raspberry pi(with kali linux OS) that's hard lined into a LAN port on the router but apparently still is not adequate connection as the firmware page still won't load. The router has no internet atm. Is it possible for me to SSH some commands into this thing or am I pretty much done for?
Didneywhorl

Re: May have bricked new Nexp1go :(

Post by Didneywhorl »

wiredaddy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:32 pm I may have just bricked my new Nexp1Go router. Messing with some settings, I disabled the 2.4ghz wifi signal. This somehow made my 5G also inoperable. My devices can see the 5G but not 2.4G. I try to connect to the 5G but get the error "Cannot receive i.p address"
I have a raspberry pi(with kali linux OS) that's hard lined into a LAN port on the router but apparently still is not adequate connection as the firmware page still won't load. The router has no internet atm. Is it possible for me to SSH some commands into this thing or am I pretty much done for?
Nah, they are hard as hell to brick

You can re-flash it with firmware recovery mode. Search on here for how to do it, but its basically, unplug power. Hold reset button in while plugging power back in. Continue holding reset for like 12 seconds then release. Then via ethernet access 192.168.1.1 and there will be a chinese prompt to load a firmware image. I use chromium with google translate plugin for the chinese, but there is a post on this forum with the translation.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/wifix-router-firmware/ for the firmware .bin of the routers. Should be the latest versions posted there.

Changing the settings, more than one at a time, on wifi can sometimes do weird stuff on any openWRT based router like these. I've reflashed literally hundreds and hundreds of routers from troublehsooting odd issues. You're not alone ;)
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Also, you may have to set the IP of the Rpis ethernet port to a static address in the 192.168.1.x subnet in order to communicate with it... unless you reflash it.

Note: I wouldn't do any settings changes over wifi. Just me.
justthompson

Post by justthompson »

wiredaddy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:32 pm I may have just bricked my new Nexp1Go router. Messing with some settings, I disabled the 2.4ghz wifi signal. This somehow made my 5G also inoperable. My devices can see the 5G but not 2.4G. I try to connect to the 5G but get the error "Cannot receive i.p address"
Try Manually setting an IP address on your device.
Ex: on a 192.168.1.1 network,
IP: 192.168.1.110 (within the DHCP range)
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

then try to access the Webinterface.

I may have had a similar issue with my NEXP1GO when i disabbled my 5GHz radio
my internet connection dropped, and i stopped getting IPv4 addresses, only IPv6
I wasnt sure it it was T-Mobile implementing IPv6 changes, or something with my router

I Couldnt't connect to the device after that until i manually set an IP Address

Anyway, after toggling the 5GHZ on/off, and back on again, i started getting IPv4 addresses again, and my internet connection was restored.
Not sure if it is related to your issue, but give it a try.
your experience sounds similar to my issue from 2 days ago: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=3538
wiredaddy

Post by wiredaddy »

Ok so I've tried the reset, on one attempt all LEDs came on then all went off and stayed off. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. No avail on the other tries.

Went I try to manually enter my I.P on my PC it refuses to save the settings and says to check one or more of the i.p settings and try again. Do ipv4 and ipv6 get filled out the same way? I've left DNS empty.

Here's what I enter:
Ip Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet prefix length: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

I am stumped.
wiredaddy

Post by wiredaddy »

Scratch that, I have pulled up the recovery mode screen. I needed to incognito
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Private/incognito tabs every time for me. I've spent hours going WTF?!?!??! just to realize the browser cache wasn't clearing on exit.
wiredaddy

Post by wiredaddy »

Yup won't make that mistake again. Nexp1go back up and operational! Flash successful! Thank you all

Return to “WiFiX Routers”