Fibocom L860-GL Antenna setup

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
tambutso

Fibocom L860-GL Antenna setup

Post by tambutso »

Hello all. I am thinking of getting the Fibocom L860-GL M.2 modem, and looking at the pictures there are 4 antenna ports. To maximize the use of this modem, do I need to attach 4 LTE antennas (one on each)? I wanted maximized carrier aggregation, thus hopefully faster speeds. Referenced below is a picture of the said modem with 4 antenna ports. Any input s appreciated. Sorry for the noobish question. I am fairly new to this.

BillA

Re: Fibocom L860-GL Antenna setup

Post by BillA »

tambutso wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:11 am Hello all. I am thinking of getting the Fibocom L860-GL M.2 modem, and looking at the pictures there are 4 antenna ports. To maximize the use of this modem, do I need to attach 4 LTE antennas (one on each)? I wanted maximized carrier aggregation, thus hopefully faster speeds. Referenced below is a picture of the said modem with 4 antenna ports. Any input s appreciated. Sorry for the noobish question. I am fairly new to this.

You could probably get away with just two antennas for about 70% performance (connect the Main (M) and Diversity (D/G) only), or maybe use a splitter working off of just two antennas (connected to all four inputs) for about 80% performance. But for true 100% performance you'll have to drill two extra holes and connect four separate antennas.
Notice how they blurred out the letters "HP" below the "IMEI", which stands for Hewlett-Packard, reportedly these modems run custom firmware, which may or may not work fully in your particular setup. The only way to tell is by actually trying it. ;)
tambutso

Post by tambutso »

Thanks always for the advice Bill. 👍
jstever8

Post by jstever8 »

I have one. Really didn’t have good luck getting it working. There are about 15 USB modes selectable via an AT command, but none seem allow the modem to connect. I did find a few with MBIM, but the modem would disconnect completely while trying to connect.

Later firmwares also removed the USB mode switch AT command.
BillA

Post by BillA »

jstever8 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:50 pm I have one. Really didn’t have good luck getting it working. There are about 15 USB modes selectable via an AT command, but none seem allow the modem to connect. I did find a few with MBIM, but the modem would disconnect completely while trying to connect.

Later firmwares also removed the USB mode switch AT command.

The problem is that most of these branded Fibocom modems have been manufactured for HP, as you can see on the last line in the picture next to "P/N", they have erased the "HP" logo. I've heard that generic versions exist (not just generic firmware but generic hardware too), but those are hard to find and more expensive than the HP version.
The first step in getting it to work successfully, is to try to find at least a generic firmware (if it's even flashable on branded hardware).

For more manual control, try mounting it into an external M.2 to USB enclosure, connect it directly to a pc in order to be able to test it a little easier. Once you get it working on a pc, it's probably better to just tether it to a router via USB rather than mounting it internally for greater control.

Since these branded modems seem to work better when connected directly to a pc, you could run a software hotspot on the pc like Connectify to turn it into a soft-router. Connectify can be set up to output the internet through the pc's ethernet port, which in turn can be connected to the routers WAN input for full internet functionality.
jstever8

Post by jstever8 »

BillA wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:15 am
For more manual control, try mounting it into an external M.2 to USB enclosure, connect it directly to a pc in order to be able to test it a little easier. Once you get it working on a pc, it's probably better to just tether it to a router via USB rather than mounting it internally for greater control.
Yeah mine is HP branded. I do have it in an external enclosure and the disconnect issue is present on Windows as well. With Windows, it essentially goes into a boot loop.

I did flash firmware from a Lenovo card onto the device as well. Didn’t really help.
BillA

Post by BillA »

jstever8 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:12 am Yeah mine is HP branded. I do have it in an external enclosure and the disconnect issue is present on Windows as well. With Windows, it essentially goes into a boot loop.

I did flash firmware from a Lenovo card onto the device as well. Didn’t really help.

I've read that some branded modems are "keyed" to the motherboard's ID in the BIOS, so that could be an issue. It's also possible that it's just defective based on the constant rebooting, OR not enough power on the usb bus. Try powering the external modem/enclosure through a high powered usb hub or a "Y" cable adapter with extra power. If still not working, you might want to search on a bit more technical forum such as Whirlpool > https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/search?q=fibocom
jstever8

Post by jstever8 »

I actually started that discussion over at WP :)

I did use a Y cable to confirm it’s not power. I’ve seen computers reject modems that aren’t whitelisted, but a modem rejecting the computer is an interesting thought...

I’m probably moving down a rabbit hole, but I found a Dell DW5822e driver/firmware file that I’ve found some interesting things in. There is a Fibocom firmware flash tool that appears to have a config file option to keep or erase firmware while flashing. Keep being default.
BillA

Post by BillA »

jstever8 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:48 pm I actually started that discussion over at WP :)

I did use a Y cable to confirm it’s not power. I’ve seen computers reject modems that aren’t whitelisted, but a modem rejecting the computer is an interesting thought...

I’m probably moving down a rabbit hole, but I found a Dell DW5822e driver/firmware file that I’ve found some interesting things in. There is a Fibocom firmware flash tool that appears to have a config file option to keep or erase firmware while flashing. Keep being default.

Let us know your adventures with this modem, and if you found any specific solution for it.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

jstever8 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:48 pm I actually started that discussion over at WP :)

Did you ever get the modem to connect via PC? Interested in your progress :)
BillA

Post by BillA »

terryjett wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:15 am Did you ever get the modem to connect via PC? Interested in your progress :)

Looks like an M.I.A. he-he ... all these branded modems are firmware locked, therefore really difficult to work with.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Looks like an M.I.A.
Active March 2020 so got my fingers crossed...
jstever8

Post by jstever8 »

terryjett wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:15 am Did you ever get the modem to connect via PC? Interested in your progress :)
I do have a bit of an update. I’ve been unsuccessful with Windows or ROOter, but I did get it to connect via ModemManager. It uses an NCM protocol to connect instead of MBIM or QMI, but it works. I’ve read this card Is designed for a PCIe interface in Windows instead of the typical USB, so I’m not sure if that’s part of the problem.

There was a MBIM mode you could put the card in, but it was removed in the later firmware updates.

Flashing firmware is pretty easy and uses a Intel flash tool. There is a write up over on the Whirlpool ROOter forums as well as a link to several firmware files (pulled from HP & Lenovo drivers).
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

jstever8 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:02 pm I do have a bit of an update. I’ve been unsuccessful with Windows or ROOter, but I did get it to connect via ModemManager. It uses an NCM protocol to connect instead of MBIM or QMI, but it works. I’ve read this card Is designed for a PCIe interface in Windows instead of the typical USB, so I’m not sure if that’s part of the problem.

There was a MBIM mode you could put the card in, but it was removed in the later firmware updates.

Flashing firmware is pretty easy and uses a Intel flash tool. There is a write up over on the Whirlpool ROOter forums as well as a link to several firmware files (pulled from HP & Lenovo drivers).
Hey, that is great news. Least there is hope for good experiment.

I see the "NCM" in Windows device manger under others so that makes sense.

"Whirlpool ROOter forums". Not being lazy, just have not seen the link you speak of. Searched many times about L860-Gl and most likely not using right term, but Whirlpool never came up. You mind sharing link?
jstever8

Post by jstever8 »

terryjett wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:25 pm Hey, that is great news. Least there is hope for good experiment.

I see the "NCM" in Windows device manger under others so that makes sense.

"Whirlpool ROOter forums". Not being lazy, just have not seen the link you speak of. Searched many times about L860-Gl and most likely not using right term, but Whirlpool never came up. You mind sharing link?
Sure. Here is a link to where the L860-GL conversations were happening last year (page 68 in archive mode). The forum is a bit hard to follow as it's one giant conversation. If you use search for L860 & 1860, you should be able to navigate through it pretty easily. https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/3vx1k1r3-12.

Here is the at command guide if you want it. https://app.box.com/s/y5t7e7ppl2ndulbpw6sji0n3dh2qwx9g
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

jstever8 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:39 pm Sure. Here is a link to where the L860-GL conversations were happening last year (page 68 in archive mode). The forum is a bit hard to follow as it's one giant conversation. If you use search for L860 & 1860, you should be able to navigate through it pretty easily. https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/3vx1k1r3-12.
Thank you much for sharing the links!
tamatar
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tamatar »

Hi @terryjett,

I have a Fibocom L860-GL which I would like to use for WWAN, preferably in am M-2 to USB enclosure attached thru router. Found this thread. Could you please post an update on your work in the last couple of months, if you could get your Fibocom L860-GL to work under Windows,Linux, OpenWRT or GoldenOrb? Thanks!
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

tamatar wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:31 pm Hi @terryjett,

I have a Fibocom L860-GL which I would like to use for WWAN, preferably in am M-2 to USB enclosure attached thru router. Found this thread. Could you please post an update on your work in the last couple of months, if you could get your Fibocom L860-GL to work under Windows,Linux, OpenWRT or GoldenOrb? Thanks!
Sorry to report have not gotten any further with the modem card. Seems to fight me no matter which operating platform I try to use. Thought I'd find way on linux but have not. Right now the little bugger is sitting on my desk, staring at me every day and laughing at me :)

Have not given up, but have other projects jump ahead. Hopefully someone will come along and help us get the card working. Love to try it out.
tamatar

Post by tamatar »

terryjett wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:38 am Sorry to report have not gotten any further with the modem card. Seems to fight me no matter which operating platform I try to use. Thought I'd find way on linux but have not. Right now the little bugger is sitting on my desk, staring at me every day and laughing at me :)

Have not given up, but have other projects jump ahead. Hopefully someone will come along and help us get the card working. Love to try it out.
Thanks for the prompt response, terryjett! It is a pity that it has not worked for you yet. A few questions.

1. Which USB enclosure are you using? Some folks have reported insufficient power as an issue in M.2-USB adapter, so perhaps that might be a factor.

2. Can you share picture of your card as well as the firmware version, so that I can compare with mine as well as others who seem to have got it working? Maybe, thru careful correlation, we can figure out a way to replicate success of others.

3. Could you also share what outomes/errors you are getting in each situation e.g. can you run the AT+GTUSBMODE=7 command to switch it to MBIM mode; under linux or OpenWRT or Rooter, what are the log entries when you connect the card; etc?

Look forward to hearing back from you on the details.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

I have tried a few USB adapters which draws power from USB port and a enclosure like this https://amzn.to/2Nn7mgc but you may have good point about power.

My Fibocom is exactly like this one (ordered a second one to compare):
L850.jpg
What has taken so long for me to reply is looking for error logs I saved. Saved a bunch and for life of me cannot locate them. Will try and locate. Right now I just do not have the time to fire the modem up and get output. Covered over with some work since been away for week.

I will get caught up this week and will then try to get some error logs. Love to get the modem working because I hate to be defeated, lol. Plus, I could use them in some teachers home setups.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tamatar

Post by tamatar »

terryjett wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:24 pm I have tried a few USB adapters which draws power from USB port and a enclosure like this https://amzn.to/2Nn7mgc but you may have good point about power.

My Fibocom is exactly like this one (ordered a second one to compare):
L850.jpg

What has taken so long for me to reply is looking for error logs I saved. Saved a bunch and for life of me cannot locate them. Will try and locate. Right now I just do not have the time to fire the modem up and get output. Covered over with some work since been away for week.

I will get caught up this week and will then try to get some error logs. Love to get the modem working because I hate to be defeated, lol. Plus, I could use them in some teachers home setups.
No problem! Look forward to seeing the error logs, when get a chance. In the meantime -

1. I did not realize you have two L850. Are both of them identical to the picture above? The reason I ask is that the picture shows a "Rev 4". If both of yours have that, it might explain why yours are not working. There are posts online suggesting that the earlier versions worked, but newer versions did not. The best way to confirm that would be to get the firmware version numbers for both the cards. I have built a rudimentary list of model/firmware version/results with which I can compare.

2. The USB enclosure you linked is for mPCIe-USB adapter, while the L850 is M.2. Did you additionally also purchase a mPCie-M.2 adapter? If so, that might be a factor for your results.

3. Do you recall what all configs you tested with i.e. Windows, Linux, OpenWRT, Rooter, etc as well what hardware e.g. router, PC, Rasberry PI, etc? If you could share those details while we wait for the error logs, we could move forward a bit in the meantime.
tamatar

Post by tamatar »

jstever8 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:02 pm I do have a bit of an update. I’ve been unsuccessful with Windows or ROOter, but I did get it to connect via ModemManager. It uses an NCM protocol to connect instead of MBIM or QMI, but it works. I’ve read this card Is designed for a PCIe interface in Windows instead of the typical USB, so I’m not sure if that’s part of the problem.

Hi jstever8,

I hope you are still around and reading these new posts on the Fibocom L860-GL.

Do you recall what kind of download speeds you got in NCM mode and which version of Linux, for your post above? The reason I ask is that over at Whirlpool, dairyman believes that the card works in PPP mode, which is characterized by low speeds.

Also, I read your posts on Whirlpool from late last year that you got your card in MBIM mode, but now this year it is only in NCM mode. Does that mean you changed the firmware version due to which you lost the MBIM mode? If so, do you still have the option to go to the earlier version and put it in MBIM mode?

Finally, when you put it in MBIM mode, I saw at Whirlpool that you had problems connecting to network. Did you ever try the card in MBIM mode under Windows (with USB enclosure) to see if connection worked at least in Windows, or did you try only under ROOter?

Your help and guidance would be most helpful to all of us!
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

tamatar wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:21 pm No problem! Look forward to seeing the error logs, when get a chance. In the meantime -

1. I did not realize you have two L850. Are both of them identical to the picture above? The reason I ask is that the picture shows a "Rev 4". If both of yours have that, it might explain why yours are not working. There are posts online suggesting that the earlier versions worked, but newer versions did not. The best way to confirm that would be to get the firmware version numbers for both the cards. I have built a rudimentary list of model/firmware version/results with which I can compare.

2. The USB enclosure you linked is for mPCIe-USB adapter, while the L850 is M.2. Did you additionally also purchase a mPCie-M.2 adapter? If so, that might be a factor for your results.

3. Do you recall what all configs you tested with i.e. Windows, Linux, OpenWRT, Rooter, etc as well what hardware e.g. router, PC, Rasberry PI, etc? If you could share those details while we wait for the error logs, we could move forward a bit in the meantime.
Oh hell, did not even pay attention / see the version 4 when I ordered the second one off ebay last week. Here is actual pic of mine:
UHgArfh[1].jpg
About the USB enclosure: In same pic above you will see the adapter. I have one each (mPCIe - M.2) which fit the same enclosure.

I have tested on a HP Envy 23 running windows 10 home, Samsung laptop running Linux Mint (dedicated no dual boot) and also dual boot Acer Windows 10 / Ubuntu 18.04.

I am really good at keeping my projects in one folder and beats the heck out of me where I saved the logs to. Makes me sad as that was a lot of time wasted if cannot find...

I am excited though that someone else has interest in this modem!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OptimusPrime

Post by OptimusPrime »

Almost a month since following....what's the verdict on this one? Any ModemManager/OpenWRT support that can be confirmed and if so, with published speeds?
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Unfortunately trying to make a living has gotten into the way of side projects in my life. I have not had a chance to spend any time on this project. Hope to get back to projects like this in the near future.
OptimusPrime

Post by OptimusPrime »

terryjett wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:50 am Unfortunately trying to make a living has gotten into the way of side projects in my life. I have not had a chance to spend any time on this project. Hope to get back to projects like this in the near future.
Yes indeed. I am sorry to hear of the struggles. I hope you can get back to it soon if nothing else for the distraction everyday life poses on us.

There seems to be a group of folks getting the L860-GL and trying to get that going. Big impediment still seems to be Intel not providing a linux driver or the source code to write a linux driver. There's some Linux native driver support work and ModemManager plugin integration still going on for the L850-GL but the L860-GL with its price point and specs seems to be the ideal one to get running.

Hope to see you back soon. Thanks for all the work you've contributed in testing this so far.
jstever8

Post by jstever8 »

Just an update. ROOter/GO now fully supports the L860-GL module in NCM mode. Excellent low cost modem now.
packlet

Post by packlet »

sorry to revive an old-ish thread, but anyone know (or where to find ) band lock AT commands for Fibocom L850-GL (and/or L860-GL)?

I picked up a cheap L850-GL and put into a USB adapter connected to my Rooter-ized TPlink Archer C7 with my Verizon SIM. It just worked, which was nice!

network status page shows:

B5 (Bandwidth 10 MHz Down | 10 MHz Up)
B4 (CA, Bandwidth: 20 MHz)
B2 (CA, Bandwidth: 10 MHz)

AT+XLEC?
+XLEC: 0,3,3,5,3

It's doing an OK 32mbps down and 8 mbps up, but even tho it's connected using 3x CA, for best perf in my area, I need to band lock to 66(+66). [ I've seen up to 100mbps using the same SIM in my EM12-G, band-locked to 66(+66)... ] I have the AT command manual, but can't find or decipher the needed incantations to do this.

Any tips or pointers appreciated. (I also have an L860-GL on the way to play with, my first 4x4 MIMO unit...)

TIA, as usual. Paul.

edit for posterity; (got some answers over on the Rooter thread)

this shows the current setting (from before i got it)

AT+XACT?
+XACT: 2,2,,102,104,105,113

to see all options:

AT+XACT=?
+XACT: (0-6),(0-2),0,101,102,103,104,105,107,108,111,112,113,117,118,119,120,121,126,128,129,130,138,139,140,141,166

to set band 66 only: AT+XACT=2,,,166

To set it to all bands: at+xact=2,,,0
packlet

Post by packlet »

oh, any pointers on 'repairing' the IMEI on these (fibocom L850/860-GL) modems, if it's been 'corrupted'?...

edit: a helpful soul pointed me at this, but doesn't work (at least on my L850-gl)...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 169&type=3
packlet

Post by packlet »

btw, just a followup on the L860-gl. there is 'magic' available, if needed to work with your ISP plan. not for the faint of heart, involves running an executable downloaded from a Russian forum site, but seems to work. I ran it on an air-gapped machine and haven't noticed any untoward effects or network traffic. the L850 has yet to be cracked.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

packlet wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:18 am btw, just a followup on the L860-gl. there is 'magic' available, if needed to work with your ISP plan. not for the faint of heart, involves running an executable downloaded from a Russian forum site, but seems to work. I ran it on an air-gapped machine and haven't noticed any untoward effects or network traffic. the L850 has yet to be cracked.
Do share :) DM me if you like.
ldorio

Post by ldorio »

packlet wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:18 am btw, just a followup on the L860-gl. there is 'magic' available, if needed to work with your ISP plan. not for the faint of heart, involves running an executable downloaded from a Russian forum site, but seems to work. I ran it on an air-gapped machine and haven't noticed any untoward effects or network traffic. the L850 has yet to be cracked.
Would you be willing to share this link? I'm curious about trying an L860-GL and have found a smoking deal on one (though it's HP branded so no idea about FCC enable or the possibility of a generic firmware)
ldorio

Post by ldorio »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:54 am Do share :) DM me if you like.
Did you ever get your hands on this?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

ldorio wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:43 pm
Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:54 am Do share :) DM me if you like.
Did you ever get your hands on this?

Nup.

@packlet Hasn't shared
packlet

Post by packlet »

@Didneywhorl, i thought I had emailed you the details and link to download the tool. Did I not? given the source, i wasn't sure it would be appropriate/safe to make public, but maybe it is, for edumacational purposes, of course...
josepc

Post by josepc »

Hello,

I have just bought a fibocom l860 and found that there is no mbim mode. Did someone manage to get it working with an old firmware?

Return to “Questions and Support”