Calyx Institute removing Sprint sims and getting no internet access using T-Mobile sims

This a discussion place for anything related to wireless
vahnwinkle

Calyx Institute removing Sprint sims and getting no internet access using T-Mobile sims

Post by vahnwinkle »

Hello everyone,

I will do my best not to make this story so complex but hopefully I am missing something small and simple. If not, Calyx users who use their own routers may be in trouble. So, I have Calyx Institute service. I signed up for the Alcatel Linkzone 2 and Calyx sent me a Sprint brand sim card with the unit. I removed the Sprint sim and I have used the sim in my 2 LTE routers with absolutely no issues for over a year now. I have a WG1608 with Quectel EM12-G (4G) Modem which is used as a backup in case my other modem dies and a WG3526 with a Quectel RM500-AE (5G) modem which is my primary used modem. Both modems are running the latest ROOter firmware. Additionally, I always make sure to change the IMEI and APN to the correct name prior to using my sim cards in my LTE routers. The Sprint sim uses APN: r.ispsn and T-Mobile sim uses APN: fast.t-mobile.com

Recently, I upgraded to Calyx Institute's 5G plan since my cell tower near me has 5G access now. They sent me a MiFi M2000 with a T-Mobile sim card instead of a Sprint sim card. So, I got all the information from the MiFi M2000 router such as the IMEI and the APN and plugged that information into my WG3526 router with the RM500-AE modem since its 5G compatible. For about 5 minutes after I booted the router with the T-Mobile sim in the unit, I had internet access and was able to perform a speed test that was approximately 200 download and 50 upload speed before the internet access went away.

I couldn’t get the internet access to come back. The weird thing is the RM500-AE modem is still connected to bands and shows signal strength 90% on B2 band BUT I don’t have internet! So, I updated the ROOter firmware, and nothing changed. I switched the T-Mobile sim into my WG1608 router and had internet access for about 5 minutes and it went out as well, but modem stayed connected to bands. The problem is following the sim card, but I know the sim is fine because I reinstalled it into my MiFi M2000 hotspot and it works with internet access. So, I know losing internet must be network or sim card related. I believe the router and modem are fine, but I am not sure about the settings. I don’t know the difference between Sprint sim cards and T-Mobile sim cards that would force me to lose internet access.

Currently, while writing this post, I am using the Sprint sim card with internet access and no issues, but that service ends in 2 months. I hope its just a simple setting I can change so the T-Mobile sim will get access to the internet again. It seems like its so close to getting access to internet and that’s why I hope the problem is a simple setting and not an encrypted network issue preventing my device from using the internet. I have a feeling the issue is related to IPv4 and IPv6 for some reason but its only a suspicion. I really have no idea why the T-Mobile sim card is not getting internet. I also played around with the TTL settings changing it from 65 to 64 and nothing helped. I changed the APN to other T-Mobile names with no luck. I basically, tried a lot of basic minor changes because I dont knwo what I am doing in the advanced settings.

My primary concern is that Calyx Institute is getting rid of their Sprint sim cards by June 2022 since the T-Mobile and Sprint merger will be 100% complete. If the issue is sim related, there will be a lot of users like myself using the M2000 modems that doesn’t have access to better antenna capabilities. Thank you all in advance for reading and helping me in this issue. I will answer any questions and try any trouble shooting you offer. Thanks
Didneywhorl

Re: Calyx Institute removing Sprint sims and getting no internet access using T-Mobile sims

Post by Didneywhorl »

The new Calyx SIMs require Identity changes. This has been my experience. I have a "SPRINT SPRINT" SIM card and use the x.ispsn APN on it. I can only get it to connect by changing the modem identity.

This is stupid since the SIMs are hotspot SIMs, but it seems they are somehow restricting.

Also you may want to ensure your IPV6 prefix is set to blank. This was an issue in Goldenorb. This is under the Network-Interfaces menu. Sometimes its on a tab along the top, or on the interfaces page on the bottom.

If those still give issues try disabling IPV6 in all ways, including your APN settings. Though x.ispsn is all IPV6 and Tmobile is going heavy on the IPV6.
vahnwinkle

Re: Calyx Institute removing Sprint sims and getting no internet access using T-Mobile sims

Post by vahnwinkle »

@Didneywhorl

Thank you so much for your response. Just to clarify, what do you mean by changing modem identity? I thought the IMEI was the identity? I changed the modem IMEI to the MiFi m2000 already and the modem identifies as the MiFi device. If you’re not talking about IMEI change, do you know how to change modem identity? I also looked at the IPV6 prefix instructions. However, I am unclear what I need to do to turn off IPV6. I’s their any AT commands I need to run to do these changes in Rooter? I will post picture of where I am in the router. Thankyou

Protocol: Virtual dynamic interface (464XLAT (CLAT) is listed at the top of the interface settings
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

Here is a picture of the WG1608 network - interface Settings with the T-Mobile sim card installed. Notice the CLAT1 Virtual Dynamic Interface.
wg1608 interface tmobile.png
Here is a picture of the WG3526 network - interface Settings with the Sprint sim card installed. Notice the CLAT1 Virtual Dynamic Interface is not showing in the settings. I believe this is one key difference between Sprint sim cards and T-Mobile sim cards.
wg3526 Interface Sprint.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:51 am Also you may want to ensure your IPV6 prefix is set to blank. This was an issue in Goldenorb. This is under the Network-Interfaces menu. Sometimes its on a tab along the top, or on the interfaces page on the bottom.

If those still give issues try disabling IPV6 in all ways, including your APN settings. Though x.ispsn is all IPV6 and Tmobile is going heavy on the IPV6.
Is this what you are talking about removing IPV6?
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=431
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

@gscheb I don't think that's what they are talking about. In rooter, you can select Network, then interface and it gives you settings to change.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

Anyone else have any ideas?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Click on global Network options, the ipv6 prefix is there. If it is blank, you're good. If not, delete it and save.

Imei = modem identity.

If you are using fast.t-mobile.com as an APN you shouldn't need to do anything else other than make all of your AT+CGDCONT entries be IPV4 only AND set the Modem->Connection Profile to IPV4 only.

Honestly though, you shouldn't need to set it to IPV4 only. Itjhst sounds like your IPV6 prefix is still set, causing issues passing data.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

@Didneywhorl

I will try this today and report back ASAP. Thanks again for helping me trouble shoot this issue. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I hate living in rural area with no easy access to internet........ :(
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

@Didneywhorl
Connection profile.png
Global Network.png
IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt have to do the AT command you suggested. I was able to get it up and running by making the other changes. Thank you so much for your help with this. I hope this solution helps other people using Calyx 5G plans in the future. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

@Didneywhorl

Okay, maybe I got a little ahead of myself. The WG1608 4G router worked but I was just testing the sim settings on that router. My primary router is the WG3526 and for some reason my modem is stuck on connecting now. The only thing I haven't done is change the AT+CGDCONT because I am not sure what AT command to use to change this. Could you please give me the AT command to change everything to IPV4. I didn't have to do this to the WG1608 router but I am not sure why the 3526 wont connect. Maybe this is why.

Here is what my 3526 is showing after I run the AT+CGDCONT?

Code: Select all

AT+CGDCONT=?
+CGDCONT: (1-42),"IP",,,(0-3),(0-4),(0-1),(0-1),,,,,,,,,(0-1),,(0-1),,,(0-1)
+CGDCONT: (1-42),"PPP",,,(0-3),(0-4),(0-1),(0-1),,,,,,,,,(0-1),,(0-1),,,(0-1)
+CGDCONT: (1-42),"IPV6",,,(0-3),(0-4),(0-1),(0-1),,,,,,,,,(0-1),,(0-1),,,(0-1)
+CGDCONT: (1-42),"IPV4V6",,,(0-3),(0-4),(0-1),(0-1),,,,,,,,,(0-1),,(0-1),,,(0-1)
OK
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

@Didneywhorl

Update! The modem eventually connected. It just took about 10 minutes longer than normal. I will keep everyone posted on reliability of the T-Mobile sim in case it disconnects anymore. I hope all of this info helps the community. Didneywhorl is AWESOME!!!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Enjoy :)
r00berd00b
Been thanked: 0

Post by r00berd00b »

Hi all,

Does anyone have input on setting up T-Mobile sims in a Peplink device? Settings would be for a non-5g plan and using the fast-t-mobile.com apn. I did not see options to change settings for IPV4 vs IPV6 via the web admin page but curious if there are other settings to try. Appreciate any insight, thanks!
radec

Post by radec »

r00berd00b wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:50 pm Hi all,

Does anyone have input on setting up T-Mobile sims in a Peplink device? Settings would be for a non-5g plan and using the fast-t-mobile.com apn. I did not see options to change settings for IPV4 vs IPV6 via the web admin page but curious if there are other settings to try. Appreciate any insight, thanks!
What peplink device do you have? do you know what modem is in it? have you changed the modem identity?
sjura10

Post by sjura10 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:34 am Click on global Network options, the ipv6 prefix is there. If it is blank, you're good. If not, delete it and save.

Imei = modem identity.

If you are using fast.t-mobile.com as an APN you shouldn't need to do anything else other than make all of your AT+CGDCONT entries be IPV4 only AND set the Modem->Connection Profile to IPV4 only.

Honestly though, you shouldn't need to set it to IPV4 only. It just sounds like your IPV6 prefix is still set, causing issues passing data.
Just wanted to give a shout out that this worked to get my AirMaster 4000D up and running on the new T-mobile SIM card. See this post for more details on that particular device. Thanks Didneywhorl!
r00berd00b

Post by r00berd00b »

radec wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:42 pm What peplink device do you have? do you know what modem is in it? have you changed the modem identity?
Sorry for the very late reply! Just got back from a trip , but if other folks are looking into this, I'm running a Peplink BR1 Mini with a Cat 6 modem (a few years old LTEA-W model). I haven't made changes to the modem identity. Was hoping this could work as my "primary" sim for working from my camper for part of the year closer to my outdoor hobbies.

Had seen anecdotal stories that the previous Sprint sims were plug-and-play in a BR1 Mini. So far Linkzone hotspot has been doing OK albeit in mostly trips near urban areas. Hoping to work in areas where being able to run an antenna would be useful, although may end up keeping the plan/hotspot if Band 71 support even on an unamplified hotspot could be useful as a backup.

Open to any input on other primary sim options or any thoughts, thanks in advance!

Edit: looks like Modem is *probably* something like this if same used on Max Br1 Mk2 Models https://www.sierrawireless.com/iot-solu ... ts/mc7455/
robofreak
Has thanked: 0

Post by robofreak »

I'm in a similar boat. I have the new Pepwave Max Transit Pro, and I'm trying to get the newest Calyx 5G T-Mobile sim to work in it. So far, no luck. I haven't tried spoofing the IMEI yet, and I'm not sure how to do that on a Pepwave anyway. Any help would be awesome!
radec

Post by radec »

@robofreak @r00berd00b
Unless the Peplink/Pepwave allows you to send AT modem commands, the easiest option might be to pop the thing open pull out the modem and put the modem in a USB enclosure so that you can send it AT commands and then put the modem back in your Peplink/Pepwave router.

I'm kinda shooting in the dark here, I don't own one if these routers. But it could be worth a shot. You would just need to identify if the modem is mini PCIe or M.2 before buying a usb enclosure.
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

I just received my CALYX T-Mobile Franklin T-10 replacement yesterday for my Sprint Franklin 910. The Sprint Franklin 910 was going weird on me--slower speeds, long website connect times--so I was glad to get the replacement. Ugh! It connected and worked fairly quickly but the point-of-presence on the WEB was Seattle and restarts of the hot spot wouldn't change the POP--I live in Northern California.

In addition the speedtest.net results were substantially less what I used to get n Sprint. Less than 10Mbs down and around 100 kbps up! After reading the previous postings about IPv6 in this thread. I opened the HotSpot and edited: Settings | Mobile Network | APN | APN Settings. All the LTE APN choices were set to IPv4/V6, including the selected APN "fast.T-mobile.com." I added a duplicate entry for fast.T-mobile.com except I set PDP Type to IPv4. I then selected my new entry and saved the changes. Rebooted the HotSpot and when it returned speedtest now shows more than 20 Mbs download and under 1 Mbs upload and my POP is in Northern California. Still not as good as I got with Sprint but almost usable for now.

Overall I'm disappointed with the switch to T-Mobile. I might try one of the B-to-B APNs tomorrow and see if that helps.
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

I tried the B-to-B settings (no IP) and the performance was much improved. However, eventually T-Mobile figured out I have the Franklin-T10 and reduced the performance to the previous poor levels. I spent quite a bit of time fiddling with this and the performance always reverts to the basic speeds [10Mbs down, less than 0.5 Mbps up] and places my point of presence on the net in Seattle (two states away from me) with 80 to 160 millisecond ping times.
Calyx didn't do their Contributor Plus members any favor when they down graded us to Contributor level. My Contributor Plus membership with the Franklin R910 was mostly above 30 Mbps down, 10 to 15 Mbps up and pings below ~40 milliseconds to my point of presence on the net. The performance drop from the Franklin R910 to the T10 is not acceptable.
With my other choices doubling my yearly costs, today I opted for a Calyx upgrade to Sustainer level and I'll receive a MiFi M2000 hot spot. I'll see how it performs. My nearest cell tower a bit over a mile away and that distance worked fine for 4G LTE. But it is not a direct line of sight which may degrade the 5G signals. I suspect I'll eventually be buying a router-modem combo and use the MiFi M2000 sim card as described earlier in this thread.

Thanks for asking the question that started this thread vahnwinkle.

Best Regards,
Dave
radec

Post by radec »

v8dave wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:17 am Calyx didn't do their Contributor Plus members any favor when they down graded us to Contributor level. My Contributor Plus membership with the Franklin R910 was mostly above 30 Mbps down, 10 to 15 Mbps up and pings below ~40 milliseconds to my point of presence on the net. The performance drop from the Franklin R910 to the T10 is not acceptable.
Is there an actual difference in the plan between the membership levels? I always thought it was just different hotspots that gave different performance but the plan was exactly the same.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

time will tell. It used to jsut be 4G and 5G. But honestly the Tmobile 5G and 4G SIMs are starting to be the same. So it may just be device based? I haven't tested my Tmobile Franklin T10 SIM in a 5G hotspot, but I'll bet it will work fine. It's an R15 tagged SIM card after all.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

v8dave wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:17 am I tried the B-to-B settings (no IP) and the performance was much improved. However, eventually T-Mobile figured out I have the Franklin-T10 and reduced the performance to the previous poor levels. I spent quite a bit of time fiddling with this and the performance always reverts to the basic speeds [10Mbs down, less than 0.5 Mbps up] and places my point of presence on the net in Seattle (two states away from me) with 80 to 160 millisecond ping times.
Calyx didn't do their Contributor Plus members any favor when they down graded us to Contributor level. My Contributor Plus membership with the Franklin R910 was mostly above 30 Mbps down, 10 to 15 Mbps up and pings below ~40 milliseconds to my point of presence on the net. The performance drop from the Franklin R910 to the T10 is not acceptable.
With my other choices doubling my yearly costs, today I opted for a Calyx upgrade to Sustainer level and I'll receive a MiFi M2000 hot spot. I'll see how it performs. My nearest cell tower a bit over a mile away and that distance worked fine for 4G LTE. But it is not a direct line of sight which may degrade the 5G signals. I suspect I'll eventually be buying a router-modem combo and use the MiFi M2000 sim card as described earlier in this thread.

Best Regards,
Dave
Your welcome. I initially thought the upgrade to 5G would be great since I actually have access to 5g bands N41 and N71. However, T-Mobile is somehow not allowing users to use 5G bands independently. About 2 days ago I verified my speed tests using my WG modem and noticed they cut my speeds and throttled me to 50mb. I was getting over 100mb. Not sure what's going on now but seems like they are putting strict regulations on cell signal. I sure hope I get Star Link access soon. I cant deal with the cell phone internet monopolizing everything anymore.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

v8dave wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:17 am I tried the B-to-B settings (no IP) and the performance was much improved. However, eventually T-Mobile figured out I have the Franklin-T10 and reduced the performance to the previous poor levels. I spent quite a bit of time fiddling with this and the performance always reverts to the basic speeds [10Mbs down, less than 0.5 Mbps up] and places my point of presence on the net in Seattle (two states away from me) with 80 to 160 millisecond ping times.

Best Regards,
Dave
Be careful making the switch! I paid for the sustainer level 700 bucks. Got the Mifi and speeds are great on band N41 using only mifi. However, if you chose to use another modem with more flexibility other than the mifi you may eventually lose that speed upgrade like I did. I was getting almost 100mb using mifi, but signal was bad so I switched to my WG router with 5G modem so I can use external antennas. I had speeds over 100mb for a couple months but now I am throttled at 50mb. I know they throttled me because when I do the speed test, it screams to 50mb and hits a brick wall. I know my system is capable of 150mb plus but they somehow figured out what I am using or maybe they dont like my data usage. I have my IMEI spoofed so I know they see the mifi ID not my WG. Not sure how else they are seeing anything but wish I could figure out how to get around the throttle.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

vahnwinkle wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:08 pm
Be careful making the switch! I paid for the sustainer level 700 bucks. Got the Mifi and speeds are great on band N41 using only mifi. However, if you chose to use another modem with more flexibility other than the mifi you may eventually lose that speed upgrade like I did. I was getting almost 100mb using mifi, but signal was bad so I switched to my WG router with 5G modem so I can use external antennas. I had speeds over 100mb for a couple months but now I am throttled at 50mb. I know they throttled me because when I do the speed test, it screams to 50mb and hits a brick wall. I know my system is capable of 150mb plus but they somehow figured out what I am using or maybe they dont like my data usage. I have my IMEI spoofed so I know they see the mifi ID not my WG. Not sure how else they are seeing anything but wish I could figure out how to get around the throttle.
I've used multiple Calyx SIMs in multiple devices, including my Sustainer 5G SIM, for the last 3-4 years and have never seen them throttle anything. You may have an issue with your account, but I doubt it's device related. It could also be an issue with your local tower?
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

radec wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:23 pm
v8dave wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:17 am Calyx didn't do their Contributor Plus members any favor when they down graded us to Contributor level. My Contributor Plus membership with the Franklin R910 was mostly above 30 Mbps down, 10 to 15 Mbps up and pings below ~40 milliseconds to my point of presence on the net. The performance drop from the Franklin R910 to the T10 is not acceptable.
Is there an actual difference in the plan between the membership levels? I always thought it was just different hotspots that gave different performance but the plan was exactly the same.
From my perspective I have been cut back in available connection speeds. I don't know who in the loop of Calyx, Mobile Citizen, and T-Mobile is causing the the throttling. My (current) device, a Franklin T10, using APN BtoB. An Ookla speed test shows me on T-Mobile and my down link is ~10Mbs and my up link is 20 Mbs. Yes, my up link is twice as fast as my down link! There is definitely some throttling going on here. With APN fast.t-mobile I get similar down link speeds but up links speeds below 1 Mbs.

Some where in the provider chain there has been some limits placed. In April I renewed my Calyx internet membership for the 4th time. I don't recall what membership level I started at. But I have been a Contributor plus for the last two years. Wile renewing Calyx indicated they no longer have devices to supply for the Contributor Plus membership, they have eliminated the Contributor Plus membership and down graded me to Contributor and sent me a new hot spot. And my service level declined so bad that I just upgraded myself to Sustainer. And Calyx has changed my status as such, but my data speeds haven't changed and I don't expect them until I get my new device in 4 days (Monday May 16th).

All the devices I have recently received from Calyx have been marked with T-Mobile in someway or other (on the box, in the literature in some fashion). My earlier devices were marked for Sprint. So the Wireless supplier (T-Mobile/Sprint) definitely know what devices are in use.
Mobile Citizen (Denver Colorado) is a supplier of Internet Hot Spots to the not-for-profit community and Calyx is a non-profit company. Now, the fact that Mobile Citizen doesn't have any devices to to fulfill the Contributor Plus members seems to indicate that the devices they distribute are tailored to different user levels. So, yes, there is an actual difference in plans between membership levels and that difference is somehow controlled by the devices you are supplied with.
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:48 pm
I've used multiple Calyx SIMs in multiple devices, including my Sustainer 5G SIM, for the last 3-4 years and have never seen them throttle anything. You may have an issue with your account, but I doubt it's device related. It could also be an issue with your local tower?
For the previous two years, I used to get 30 to 40 Mbs with seemingly no throttling on my Calyx supplied Franklin R910--but that was in the Sprint days. Have you seen any throttling recently?

What 5G configuration(s) of router (and it's firmware?) and modem have you successfully used the Calyx SIM in?
I had been planning on moving to a router/modem combination but I see issues with routers and some modems not being compatible. Specifically I was looking at WG3526 and Sierra EM9191. The Sierra EM9191 because it covers T-Mobile band N71 along with N41.
I wish to move to an Ethernet interface for my home and shop
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

vahnwinkle wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:01 pm
Your welcome. I initially thought the upgrade to 5G would be great since I actually have access to 5g bands N41 and N71. However, T-Mobile is somehow not allowing users to use 5G bands independently. About 2 days ago I verified my speed tests using my WG modem and noticed they cut my speeds and throttled me to 50mb. I was getting over 100mb. Not sure what's going on now but seems like they are putting strict regulations on cell signal. I sure hope I get Star Link access soon. I cant deal with the cell phone internet monopolizing everything anymore.
vahnwinkle: I have also been thinking about Starlink. I recently canceled my Starlink reservation 5 months after my predicted availability date and a year after I made that reservation. I may have been too hasty. I am reevaluating options other than using Calyx services if I can't get the service I want from Calyx. I'm going to list my options here in case they may be of use to you and others.

The two alternatives, I'm looking at are
1) Buying a month-by-month unlimited/un-throttled AT&T SIM from these guys https://www.crosstalksolutions.com/contact/ there are others out there too. This is roughly $110 per month, no contract, month by month cancel any time, but have to set up auto pay. Upside, I'll get to use the router/modem I'm considering buying; no additional infrastructure costs.
2) Get on the Starlink wait list again. The monthly price for Starlink is now $110. It too requires an automatic monthly payment. Initial buy in costs are $100 deposit and $599 when service is available in your area and your equipment is ready to ship. The Starlink equipment is returnable on a sliding scale for the first year (full refund for 30 days, $200 refund for return within a year). Downsides: Starlink is a year behind in delivery at the moment; Starlink still has dropouts in service, although the dropouts are getting shorter as they build out their satellite constellation.

Of course some combination of 1 and 2, say use the 3rd party sim card while you wait for Starlink to show up. Keep Calyx as filler while waiting for Starlink. Keep Calyx for both the Starlink wait and then use CALYX (equivalent to ~$42 per month) as an alternate/fall-back ISP for the Starlink dropouts.

My criteria is: #1 consistent, reliable service, #2 Speeds above 40 Mbs (prefer 50 to 100), #3 Cost, #4 Ethernet connection. My current Calyx service fails at 1, 2 & 4. Hopefully my upgrade Calyx service will fulfill #2, the jury is still out as to whether or not they will meet #1. A replacement router/modem will fix #4.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

v8dave wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:16 pm
For the previous two years, I used to get 30 to 40 Mbs with seemingly no throttling on my Calyx supplied Franklin R910--but that was in the Sprint days. Have you seen any throttling recently?
I haven't noticed. I don't use it as heavily as I used to, mostly just testing these days. It used to by my primary connection for a few years. Today I have more options, so now I just use it for tests and travels, and sometimes as a failover backup.
v8dave wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:16 pm What 5G configuration(s) of router (and it's firmware?) and modem have you successfully used the Calyx SIM in?
Man, so many...

Uhhh...

NEXP1GO - Sierra MC7455, Sierra EM7565, Sierra MC7411, Quectel EM12G, Quectel EM20G, Quectel EM160R-GL, Telit LM960A18, Sierra EM9191, Quectel RM500Q-AE, RM500Q-GL, RM502Q-AE
Some with USB adapter enclosures

WG1608 - Sierra EM7565, Quectel EM12G, Quectel EM160R-GL, Telit LM960A18, Sierra EM9191, Quectel RM500Q-AE, RM502Q-AE
Some with USB adapter enclosures

NEXQ6GO - most of the 4G modems above.
I'm not sure if I've used it with the EP06A or EC25AF to be honest

NEXS2GO - Sierra EM9191, think that's it so far.

NEXR5GO - Sierra MC7411, Sierra EM7565, Quectel EM12G, Quectel EM160R-GL (Modded case for 4 antennas) Quectel RM502Q-AE in adapter to test throughput of the routers usb port.

Netgear Orbi LBR20

Cudy LT500

Cudy LT18

v8dave wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:16 pm I had been planning on moving to a router/modem combination but I see issues with routers and some modems not being compatible. Specifically I was looking at WG3526 and Sierra EM9191. The Sierra EM9191 because it covers T-Mobile band N71 along with N41.
I wish to move to an Ethernet interface for my home and shop
The EM919x and Quectel RM5xx modems cover those bands as well, as long as its the RM50xQ-AE version. The RM510Q-GL covers them too I think.

All the modems are compatible with the right tweaks ;)
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Here is an update on my Calyx wireless service with my new Inseego MiFi M2000.
Unit received May 17th and activated that evening. M2000 needed a Firmware upgrade. That Upgrade eliminated my ability to change or see what T-Mobile APN I'm using. M2000 connected to the T-Mobile 5G service according to its display.

Performance: On start up and the next morning I was getting fairly poor service around 10Mbs down and less than 1Mbs up, 150+ milliseconds ping, Point of Presence (PoP ) still in Seattle.

Afternoon on the 18th my PoP showed up here in Northern California, ping times under 40 milliseconds and data rate down 25+ Mbs, up 10Mbs.

Today May 18Th this morning, afternoon and evening I have been seeing these rates:
Speed.jpg
Apparently T-Mobile takes two days to get their service rates set-up as per the specific IMEI and/or SIM rules.
I am pleased with this performance enough to stop complaining although I would like 100 Mbs.

I don't trust the firewall/router in the M2000 and couldn't get the USB-C to work to my laptop through a USB-C to Ethernet cable adapter. Apparently the USB internet connection will only work through another USB connection on the laptop and then when Windoze sees the connection, it will load the driver for USB internet connections. Seems to rule out using POE power to feed the M2000 power and get the internet connection to my Edge-router-X. Next up: Plan B new router/modem with an Ethernet WAN and LAN connections.

Return to “OPEN | UNCLASSIFIED”