Unplugging power from router vs using reboot

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
user232

Unplugging power from router vs using reboot

Post by user232 »

Maybe it is coincidence but it seems like unplugging my router and waiting a bit then replugging it in has a different effect than rebooting it via the rooter page interface (System > Reboot)
For example, the tower I lock onto nearby is in the middle of no where, no chance of congestion.
My em12g is set AT+QCFG="band",0,20000000000000800 (b12 and 66) and when my connection is under load (such as streaming a video or downloading) I have confirmed that it aggregates B12 + B66.
Sometimes though after X amount of time, I no longer aggregate with B66 no matter what. I may also have B12 being slower than usual as well.
Using System > Reboot sometimes fixes the issue but sometimes it doesnt. When I unplug the modem for 10 or so sec then replug it in, usually it fixes it.

Is this coincidence? Or is rebooting truly different than unplugging in some way?
Is there a command that may work better than reboot?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Unplugging power from router vs using reboot

Post by JimHelms »

Have you tried power cycling the modem without having to reboot the router:

Code: Select all

AT+CFUN=1,1
user232

Post by user232 »

Thanks Jim, that seems to work.
By the way, is it normal for the modem to take ~1 minute to be recognize and then another ~minute or two to connect to the tower? Is this something that can be set to go faster via editing settings?
albert90

Post by albert90 »

I've seen troubleshooting steps for all kinds of devices and whatnot which always say to unplug the device/remove the battery when attempting to reboot it. I'm not too sure myself what difference it makes, probably something about the power being removed from all components, which doesn't fully happen when restarting while plugged in.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

In the case of these cellular routers, unless you script the reboot to run AT+CFUN=1,1 the router will reboot and reload drivers but the modem does not reboot. It will actually stay active as well. The router requests a new session, but technically it doesn't need to. Very odd tbh.
albert90

Post by albert90 »

Glad the AT command seems to work fine though

Return to “General and Unclassified”