Remote SIM Card?

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
islander261
Has thanked: 0

Remote SIM Card?

Post by islander261 »

We live in a place with the only tower slightly obstructed by the terrain. We have our WE 826-T router and MC7411 modem in our well house up the hill from the main house. The antennas are mounted on a 27' pole and connected to the router with 30' long LMR-400 cables. I want to extend the antenna mount but don't want to add more antenna cable length. I am considering mounting a router/modem up on the antenna pole and then using a POE connection into the well house, most likely one of Mikrotik router boards. Now the problem, we are semi snowbirds and travel about 4 months of the year using our present router/modem in our RV. I want to know if it is possible to have the modems SIM card in an accessible location on our network so I don't have to be able to lower the antenna pole twice or more times a year? So router/modem up on antenna pole and SIM card in well house.
Dr-BroadBand

Re: Remote SIM Card?

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Remote SIMs exist but only in specific proprietary router systems.

I know of a router maker for high end yachts that added the function to their systems, but as far as something that you can simply add to your 826, it doesn't seem to exist with support in openWRT based systems.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

You CAN put a SIM gland on your outdoor enclosure to make access to the SIM easier.

TheWirelessHaven.com sells two types for outdoor enclosures.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

The most practical thing is just add longer cable. The amount of loss is likely minimal even with connectors to extend length.

You also do not have to expose your modem/router to the elements nor need a doohickey POE setup.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”