Help choosing a modem/hotspot

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Lucky0wl
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help choosing a modem/hotspot

Post by Lucky0wl »

Hello and thanks to anyone who reads this and is able to help me out.

I moved out to a new location and have two Verizon and at&t towers near me with at&t being the closest. I’ve got Verizon home lte service for the rest of the home and it has decent speeds but really high ping even when plugged in through ethernet cord.

I’d like to get a dedicated modem/hotspot for a gaming pc and was debating between getting a nighthawk m1 or going with a wg3526 I could also combine it with a Dell dw5821e. My goal is to just get the best signal possible without external antennas and a decent ping.

Would the wg3526 work better for me or would it be the nighthawk m1?

Thanks!
gscheb

Re: Help choosing a modem/hotspot

Post by gscheb »

Have you considered adding outdoor antenna to the Verizon?
Lucky0wl

Post by Lucky0wl »

gscheb wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:38 pm Have you considered adding outdoor antenna to the Verizon?
The Verizon service was just 5G hotspot tethered from my iphone to pc. I think I will do an outdoor antenna regardless of which provider I end up with, I’m just having a really hard time deciding on a modem/router setup to buy.

- I don’t need wifi since this will be a gaming setup only, I don’t even need huge download speed just good latency/ping.

- I have been looking at the Mofi 5500-EM7690, the WG3526 with a dw5821e, the netgear nighthawk M1, and the nighthawk M5.

I’m open to other options too, the mofi sounded nice because it could connect to multiple bands and do the work for me (from what it sounded like) but I have no use for all of its wifi features, I am aware that they offer bands that other modems don’t but because of the low amount of information on towers in my area I dont know if it’s needed or not or if there are better options out there for my needs.

I’d like to have the ability to switch between the 3 major carriers to test and find which connection works better for me.

Thanks for your reply.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

You can do better than MoFi.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

How much data you think you will use?
Lucky0wl

Post by Lucky0wl »

gscheb wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:19 pm How much data you think you will use?
Not sure, I’ve never really kept track before but it’ll only be used for gaming and ill swap over to my Verizon lte home internet for streaming. Game downloads and all that will be done through the home setup aswell since they can be huge.

I’ve gotten an offer for the wg3526 with a LM960A18 and 4 upgraded cellular antennas with a larger psu for $450 shipped. Really unsure of what to do though
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Post another thread see if others are using LM960A18. Make sure can get help with it. I haven't used it.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The LM960 is a solid modem, it's just not as widely used mostly due to it's previous high price point. It's not really hard to setup or use.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”