Canadian Providers and streaming data use with a MOFI 4500

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
soilentgreen
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Canadian Providers and streaming data use with a MOFI 4500

Post by soilentgreen »

Hello, I am very new here, but have some experience in setting up my LTE Network using a MOFI 4500 SIM4 type. I went with external antennas and get really good speeds down and up, so my world is happy in that respect. I am using "Telus Mobility" for the SIM card and have a 100 GB/ month plan; this is where I think I have gone wrong, as the TTL setting on the MOFI does not seem to by pass the data limit for TV watching or streaming movies; 2 of us work from home, and that, and researching thing on the NET seems to use a small, (reasonable), amount of data but stream movies or TV and boom 5.6.7. GB in a couple of hours? The MOFI is made here in Canada and I have it set to the recommended TTL setting and assumed the streaming waiver would be the same here as in the U.S.? I have seem videos, but I am not really a technical guy so at times they go too fast or the language although English seem odd. lol I am hoping someone here can offer suggestions to overcome this, I am prepared to pay for the service but I think with a tweak I can afford my data? Thanks. John.....My Network is a MOFI 4500 SIM 4 type; double WIRING LTE antennas, using a Telus Mobility SIM card: currently getting 65 Mbps down and 40 Mbps up...I have Carrier aggregation which really did the trick, so afraid to move a damn thing lol
MattB29

Re: Canadian Providers and streaming data use with a MOFI 4500

Post by MattB29 »

It is very easy to go through GB of data when streaming movies or TV shows. This has nothing to do with the TTL settings but everything to do with the quality of the movie d/l such as SD (480P), HD (1080P) or 4K. Because you have a 100gb limit you might want to stream in SD or HD to limit your usage.
soilentgreen
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by soilentgreen »

Thanks for the reply.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The TTL settings for some providers work to bypass "Hotspot" limits on plans that are "unlimited" data for use on a phone or tablet, but have a limited "hotspot" data pool to use. If you are using a completely capped data plan, that isn't unlimited, there is no way around it. You'll have to either get multiple plans, or lower your video quality for streams, or both. Might be better to download your videos in masse at an unlimited public hotspot location, then just use the wireless data for common browsing. Online gaming uses quite a bit less than streaming video, so you should still be able to do that on your data plan,; if you game at all. :)

Return to “Internet Service Providers”