Verizon hotspot in modem

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
RockyJayyy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Verizon hotspot in modem

Post by RockyJayyy »

My household uses upwards of 600gb of data a month. I was wondering if I bought 4 verizon hotspot plans could I just put the sim card in a modem and switch them out after the data limit has been reached or do I have to keep the sim cards in the jetpack.
Didneywhorl

Re: Verizon hotspot in modem

Post by Didneywhorl »

Should be able to put them in a modem/router setup, as they are considered hotspots by default.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

RockyJayyy wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:33 pm My household uses upwards of 600gb
Is T-mobile an option for you??
RockyJayyy

Post by RockyJayyy »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:28 pm Is T-mobile an option for you??
Yeah all the major carriers are available in my area but none of them offer the internet here. I was just going with Verizon because I already have an account with them

I was looking at T-mobiles website and I can't find their hotspot plans it's all cell phone plans. Verizon is $80 for 150gb and AT&T is $75 for 40gb
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Seen where some people get on the waiting list for T-Mobile home internet than it gets excepted. If they won't do it can get magenta max phone line for $85. That is the one line cost. Can get it for $55 if you are 55 or older (or if know someone that is) Put it in their name and put your payment online on auto pay. Anyway they are super easy to work in LTE device. Personally have used a ton of data this way thru them before got T-Mobile home internet. That is way cheaper than all these different hotspot plans. Really think that could be a long term solution.
Also post pay AT&T tablet plan is still working but they are known for turning you off at some point. That is like $24 per month. Could get both of those for less.
AT&T does have home wireless data internet plan but not allot of data.
What do you think of doing these options?
RockyJayyy

Post by RockyJayyy »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:20 pm Should be able to put them in a modem/router setup, as they are considered hotspots by default.
Thanks. I was just wondering if the company needs the IMEI number than can you use 4 sims for 1 IMEI
RockyJayyy

Post by RockyJayyy »

gscheb wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:56 am Seen where some people get on the waiting list for T-Mobile home internet than it gets excepted. If they won't do it can get magenta max phone line for $85. That is the one line cost. Can get it for $55 if you are 55 or older (or if know someone that is) Put it in their name and put your payment online on auto pay. Anyway they are super easy to work in LTE device. Personally have used a ton of data this way thru them before got T-Mobile home internet. That is way cheaper than all these different hotspot plans. Really think that could be a long term solution.
Also post pay AT&T tablet plan is still working but they are known for turning you off at some point. That is like $24 per month. Could get both of those for less.
AT&T does have home wireless data internet plan but not allot of data.
What do you think of doing these options?
Yeah I signed up for all the carriers internet would be nice if I could get it soon. I'm waiting on starlink and Comcast but I think it will be a year before I get them.

With the tmobile line I just wanted to do something legitimate that didn't have a chance of getting cut off. I'm going through one company now that I thought was a legitimate reseller of AT&T internet but I think they just are reselling the iPad plans since my internet was cut off 3 weeks ago and they sent us a new sim and it's still not working. I'll look into the T-mobile thing and see if people are getting the service cut.
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

Why don't you just use the Verizon prepaid phone plan ($60)and flash or have someone flash you a hotspot and patch it so the carrier can only see it as a phone and using phone data? you can get a postpaid plan for $20 a month and they never run out of data, I use terabyte's every month for the last 2 years without a single problem, I am on an M5 now, but I used an 8800 for a year with a battery hack and never unplugged it for a year and never had to use a battery with it so it was worry free, data is cheap these days if you set it up correctly.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Well the T-Mobile way with phone sim is against terms of service but it isn't illegal. Used this at three houses on differnt setups running for couple years no issues. I used a terabyte or more per month on mine.

If you want something legit for a year consider Calyx institute.
https://calyxinstitute.org/
packlet

Post by packlet »

FWIW, i added a ~$20/mo 'tablet' plan to my Verizon account recently, using the IMEI of an IPad I own. The SIM has been working fine in a Rooter-ized Mikrotik RBM33G w/ EM7565 modem. I was just running a speedtest (typically get 60-100mbps at home) and saw the throughput drop to ~600kbps and a few seconds later got a text from VZW that I had exceeded my 15G hotspot data allowance for the month. Had been running with TTL==117 in the firewall/custom ttl setting page, so tried 65 after being throttled to no effect. HOWEVER, when I selected setting "TTL-INC 1", I immediately get full speed again. (using a windows 10 PC behind my Rooter, atm). So today at least and for this setup, that works...
RockyJayyy

Post by RockyJayyy »

packlet wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:36 pm FWIW, i added a ~$20/mo 'tablet' plan to my Verizon account recently, using the IMEI of an IPad I own. The SIM has been working fine in a Rooter-ized Mikrotik RBM33G w/ EM7565 modem. I was just running a speedtest (typically get 60-100mbps at home) and saw the throughput drop to ~600kbps and a few seconds later got a text from VZW that I had exceeded my 15G hotspot data allowance for the month. Had been running with TTL==117 in the firewall/custom ttl setting page, so tried 65 after being throttled to no effect. HOWEVER, when I selected setting "TTL-INC 1", I immediately get full speed again. (using a windows 10 PC behind my Rooter, atm). So today at least and for this setup, that works...
I have a tablet plan from Verizon on my unlimited data cell plan could I just buy a modem/router bundle or the lt500 from The Wireless Haven and go that route and it wouldn't use my hotspot?
packlet

Post by packlet »

It's possible. the carriers seems to keep changing what we can make work or not. I was just explaining what works for me today on such a VZW plan. It may or may not work the same for you at your location, or maybe work now and get detected & throttled next week or 6 mos from now, or never. but if you already have such a plan, then worth a try...

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”