Looking for hardware and OS recommendations for custom setup

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
cashman04
Has thanked: 0

Looking for hardware and OS recommendations for custom setup

Post by cashman04 »

So up until now I have been using a mofi4500 and then 5500 for my travel internet. And these have worked fine for the most part, but I'm at a point where I can't rely on just a single network, and need to do bonding.

Today my setup is 2 em7690's in usb3.0 to m.2 enclosures, each with 4 antenna's. And these are plugged in/configured directly to my PC running on windows. Then I use speedify to bond them either redundantly or for speed(depending on the use case) and all is working great. Except when I travel I tend to take the weekend before I move spots and scout out new locations, and I want to be able to bring my internet/router setup with me to test speeds before moving. I work remote so having at least decent internet is a must for me. And while all of this is running directly on my desktop PC, taking it with me to test isn't really possible(I tend to take the motorcycle to scout new spots)

I have been testing running linux on a rpi4 8gb and speedify and then sharing the connection over ethernet to my PC, but I think the rpi just isn't going to cut it for these higher current draw cards. If I run ubuntu desktop any time I connect one of the modems the entire OS just locks up after a few minutes. And then on server they constantly disconnect and reconnect. This happens even if I supply an extra 5v power to each modem's enclosure. Also, I know with linux I will need to set custom TTL's on each interface separately, which I currently have no idea how to do. I have tried looking in to openwrt/rooter/goldenorb on the rpi4, but can't find any up to date guides/information on it.

So these is where I'm looking for guidance.
What type of hardware would you recommend? Intel NUC or other small form factor PC? Some dedicated modem similar to mofi?
What OS would you run? Can I accomplish everything I want with Linux or will I need to use a router dedicated OS?

Here are my requirements:
* Ability to run multiple 4x4 mimo modems at the same time. At least 2, though I would like to add a third. This rules out a lot of the dual modem routers that are commercially available because they are all limited to 4 antenna's.
* Ability to bond my connections, preferably via speedify. While I can setup my own VPN endpoint and bond the connections manually, I really like the ease of using speedify, plus being able to change endpoints to another region quickly and easily is very helpful for me.
* Would love something somewhat smaller/lower power so I can build it all in to a decently small pelican case or the large outdoor enclosure sold by The Wireless Haven so I can implement some type of internal UPS with the system to take it with me and run off grid for scouting new areas. Like I said before, I tend to ride my motorcycle to scout new spots, so something small enough to take with me would be best.

Thanks for any help/recommendations you provide!
Dr-BroadBand

Re: Looking for hardware and OS recommendations for custom setup

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

You have some very unique requirements

Have you looked at peplink hardware yet?

They offer industrial and first responder type equipment.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Re: Looking for hardware and OS recommendations for custom setup

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

Hmm, this can be a very interesting project.

If you are happy and prepared to:

1. run Proxmox in a
2. low power x64 box like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/183816090574

then, let me know.

This low power x64 box will run off 19v DC.

Proxmox will run the x64 GO Image. Actually, we might try and run the x64 GO Image in KVM/QEMU directly although Proxmox might make things easy. You can then run pFSense etc in Proxmox too.

The x64 GO Image will ensure all the modem driver/settings etc run perfect and we can share our progress and frustrations on this board and people will actually be able to help.

Return to “General and Unclassified”