Laptop WWAN slot

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
vnmb13
Has thanked: 0

Laptop WWAN slot

Post by vnmb13 »

I recently built a wg3526 with an mc7411 modem. I noticed while upgrading my laptop that there was a WWAN port I didn't know about. And upon further research, I realized that I could put the modem into the WWAN port. My only real question is could I just stick the mc7411 I have into it, even though it has the goldenorb firmware? Or would I need to put a different kind of firmware on the modem to use it? Also are there ways I can mess with the modem like in the router with the firmware? Like changing the TTL number, AT Commands etc.?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I didn't know where else to put it.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Re: Laptop WWAN slot

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

vnmb13 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:15 pm I just stick the mc7411 I have into it, even though it has the goldenorb firmware?
What do you mean when you say the mc7411 has goldenorb firmware in it?

You could do anything you want with that WWAN slot:

1. Run a VM w/ goldenorb firmware in it that passes through that WWAN slot and provides internet to the laptop
2. Turn the laptop into a router using Proxmox+GO/pfSense. I do a version of this for my local community.

Yes - all you mentioned in your post can be done this way.
Didneywhorl

Re: Laptop WWAN slot

Post by Didneywhorl »

Your router has Goldenorb firmware, your modem has Sierra firmware.

To work in your laptop directly via pci port you will likely need change the module from usb mode to pci

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”