How to Setup Wireguard on WE826?

Topics related to VPN's
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
tommyj2k
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to Setup Wireguard on WE826?

Post by tommyj2k »

Where do I start using this menu? I have searched these forums and haven't found a detailed guide to help. I have NordVPN but would like to use Wireguard on the router itself. Thanks to anyone that replies and takes their time to help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adm1jtg

Re: How to Setup Wireguard on WE826?

Post by Adm1jtg »

Does nordvpn even support wireguard protocol?
tommyj2k

Post by tommyj2k »

Yes, they have their own version called "Nordlynx".
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

I don't know if NordVPN does this but by far the easiest way to setup WireGuard is when the VPN provider supplies a config file. That's how I use Windscribe. One of the download options is a config generator which provides a file which you upload to the router. There was no real config to do. The only other thing I needed to do was set DNS for the LAN. The DNS from the carrier doesn't work when WireGuard is active. I edited the LAN interface and added custom DNS of 1.1.1.1.

If NordVPN only provides opaque client applications but doesn't make config directly available then that's probably a problem.

I just did a quick search and unless it's changed since February, it looks like they don't provide config files, One way to do this is to install the Linux app on another Linux machine and then you can poke around to discover the raw config.
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/instruction ... nwrt/89976

I don't know how much you paid Nord but Windscribe have an unlimited plan for $45 per year. I'm very happy with it running on my WG3526 with the latest WiFix firmware.
tommyj2k

Post by tommyj2k »

Thank you tetranz. In my research, I discovered that Nord does not offer the config file but there is a way to retrieve it as you mentioned. Supposedly, Nord will offer the settings at a later date. I have their app installed on each device but it would be more efficient to just run Wireguard directly from the router for all devices. Thanks for the suggestion of Windscribe.
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

tommyj2k wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:53 ambut it would be more efficient to just run Wireguard directly from the router for all devices.
Not just more efficient but it hides more information from any sort of packet inspection. With a VPN on each device, I think it would be possible to look at the traffic, especially the return ports, and figure out that there is a NAT router and a network of multiple devices behind this "phone". With a single VPN on the WAN, very little can be learned from the traffic other than the fact that you're using a VPN, its IP address and your time of day traffic patterns.

The other alternative to something like Windscribe is to build your own WireGuard server at a low cost virtual server provider. It's quite easy. I use DigitalOcean but here's a good tutorial using Upcloud which is similar. https://upcloud.com/community/tutorials ... guard-vpn/

I've been playing with that this weekend related to this which is possibly a problem that you will have when rebooting the router. https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8& ... 004#p21989

Return to “VPN”