OPENVPN forward on a NEXQ6GO

Topics related to VPN's
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
derekjsmith

OPENVPN forward on a NEXQ6GO

Post by derekjsmith »

Solved: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8& ... 089#p20270

I'm having issues setting up a OPENVPN server forward. I've got a TP-Link TL-R605 setup with OPENVPN running. I'm able to connect locally but not remotely. I've setup firewall exceptions for forwarding UDP/1194 from EXT to LAN which has fixed IP for the TL-R605 and also setup a DDNS which reports the external IP address correctly. I'm however not able to get a firewall forward from the external network 174.204.71.XXX in this case Verizon wireless to my local network 192.168.1.XXX. I think I'm either not setting up the firewall forward on the NEXQ6GO correctly or Verizon is blocking inbound UDP/1194. Anyone else have an issue setting up a VPN server using Verizon as the carrier. Not that it should matter but am running the latest firmware and the modem is a EM12G,
derekjsmith

Re: OPENVPN forward on a NEXQ6GO

Post by derekjsmith »

More info. As a test I've added ICMP (Ping) to the firewall exceptions for the WAN->LAN and still not getting through. So I guess it's my lack of understanding on setting up this firewall. Or Verizon blocks all in-bound traffic.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Hopefully someone chimes in, I'm no good on VPN anything. Someday I'll sit down and figure it all out.

The NEXQ6GOs firewall is a stock firewall setup from openWRT, you may have some resources there.

The makers of the firmware are Goldenorb/rooter: https://ofmodemsandmen.com
derekjsmith

Post by derekjsmith »

Thanks, I've looked around on ModemsAndMen but nothing really for answers. I've also looked around on OpenWRT which I used to know inside and out many years ago. I scaled back my testing to just getting ICMP (ping) to work from an external IP.
derekjsmith

Post by derekjsmith »

Found the root of the issue. It's the cell provider, they block all inbound unless you have a business plan/line. So am looking at reverse tunneling to gain remote access to my LTE network. Am going to setup a RPi server running TunnelIn and use their service. I'll report back either way.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Sorry, wish I'd have seen this post earlier. Yes all providers block incoming traffic. Your on the right track though, I have a pi3 setup with reverse tunnel to get in from the outside. I have mine setup to forward to a vultr server as my middle man. Might check out ngrok.com, seen a post here about it few weeks ago and bookmarked it but don't really need it anymore but would work perfect for what you are needing from first glance.
derekjsmith

Post by derekjsmith »

So I ended up using ngrok.com as the tunnel into my network behind the LTE.

I've got a stock Pi4 on the LAN side of my network with VNC enabled. Installed and setup ngrok to run on boot/reboot "./ngrok tcp 5900" And all is good for remote access of my LAN. I mostly needed it for configuring the 3 LTE routers I've got running through a TP-Link EAP router that aggregates all of them together into a single connection. Also my TP-Link EAP mech network that services a wide area, about 1400ft. This is all in the remote mountains with the closest LTE tower 7 miles away.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

derekjsmith wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:43 pm So I ended up using ngrok.com as the tunnel into my network behind the LTE.

I've got a stock Pi4 on the LAN side of my network with VNC enabled. Installed and setup ngrok to run on boot/reboot "./ngrok tcp 5900" And all is good for remote access of my LAN. I mostly needed it for configuring the 3 LTE routers I've got running through a TP-Link EAP router that aggregates all of them together into a single connection. Also my TP-Link EAP mech network that services a wide area, about 1400ft. This is all in the remote mountains with the closest LTE tower 7 miles away.
Any way I can get you two write up a tutorial on this?

If so, that'd rock! Post it here: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewforum.php?f=21
derekjsmith

Post by derekjsmith »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:20 pm Any way I can get you two write up a tutorial on this?

If so, that'd rock! Post it here: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewforum.php?f=21
Yes, I've got a bit more testing, once I'm happy with it and know it's works well I'll write it up
BillA

Post by BillA »

derekjsmith wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:56 pm Yes, I've got a bit more testing, once I'm happy with it and know it's works well I'll write it up

Another solution is OpenMPTCProuter which lets you tunnel through a carrier's private IP's, and also do true carrier aggregation using multiple internet sources combining the speeds together (not just a simple load-balancing/failover).
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1078
DonJuane

Post by DonJuane »

I am interested in this. Is the free account capable of occasionally linking into to a remote LTE network to run (e.g.) RealVNC on a LTE attached Windows desktop, like OpenVPN provides? If the answer is yes, using RPi3 with GO as my main router, can it be added to the Pi3 or should I upgrade to a Pi 4 or does it need to run on a separate Pi device?

**** Come to think of it unless there was a package file for it (doubt seriously) then I am betting it would require its own box with Linux rather than G.O. aka OpenWRT.
derekjsmith

Post by derekjsmith »

DonJuane wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:08 am I am interested in this. Is the free account capable of occasionally linking into to a remote LTE network to run (e.g.) RealVNC on a LTE attached Windows desktop, like OpenVPN provides? If the answer is yes, using RPi3 with GO as my main router, can it be added to the Pi3 or should I upgrade to a Pi 4 or does it need to run on a separate Pi device?

**** Come to think of it unless there was a package file for it (doubt seriously) then I am betting it would require its own box with Linux rather than G.O. aka OpenWRT.
NGROK has downloads for Mac/Win/Linux was very easy to setup on my Pi4 running stock RPi OS.
- Setup free NGROK account
- Install NGROK on Pi4
- Setup VNC on Pi4
- Create NGROK startup/boot script for the Pi4 using tcp @5900 for VNC

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
./ngrok tcp 5900
- NGROK will report the tunnel endpoint status on your account

tcp://8.tcp.ngrok.io:12345
- connect to VNC using address