Changing TTL with a Scheduled Task

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
LTE_boi
Been thanked: 0

Changing TTL with a Scheduled Task

Post by LTE_boi »

I'm using Visible and trying to get around their throttling by changing the TTL. Each time I change it, I am able to buy myself a few hours of unthrottled speeds. Is anyone familiar with how to schedule a task so that the TTL value will change for example every hour?
Big_Al
Has thanked: 0

Re: Changing TTL with a Scheduled Task

Post by Big_Al »

Hey LTE_boi,
I'm seeing the same thing. I once was able to get way better speeds then 5meg up and down. I tried changing many parameters on my Mofi_4500 router sim7. Will probably move to possibly starlink, or at least get it ordered since there is a 6 month waiting period right now for rural users..
LTE_boi

Post by LTE_boi »

If I could simply automate the task of changing the TTL, I feel as if this wouldn't be an issue.
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

If you build this task, how do you know what to set the TTL to? Is there really a reliable pattern like "after one hour set it to 66, next hour 67 etc? I thought it was kind of random. Maybe you were going to try a selection of them and pick the best speed. That sounds challenging to say the least.
DDK65JAG
Has thanked: 0

Post by DDK65JAG »

Strange, I'm not having any problems on Visible. I've set my TTL & HL(hop limit) to 64 (same as an android phone) & I've never had to change it. If you're only setting TTL (in the router GUI) it may be a problem, TTL settings are for IPV4, HL settings are for IPV6. Visible seems to use IPV6. It's my understanding that routers custom TTL setting only affects IPV4, to set custom HL values you have to use firewall rules.
Just throwing this out there as you didn't give any details.

Good luck, DDK
LTE_boi

Post by LTE_boi »

I'm using the latest GoldenOrb and I see in the custom firewall settings that the command below is being run.

#startTTL
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
ip6tables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING ! -p icmpv6 -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 64
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING ! -p icmpv6 -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 64
#endTTL

Am I safe in assuming that both my TTL and HL values are now set to 64? I previously had them set to 117.
derekjsmith

Post by derekjsmith »

tetranz wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:29 pm If you build this task, how do you know what to set the TTL to? Is there really a reliable pattern like "after one hour set it to 66, next hour 67 etc? I thought it was kind of random. Maybe you were going to try a selection of them and pick the best speed. That sounds challenging to say the least.
I was going to do something similar but have the TTL 64 on the even hour and 65 on the odd hour. I've tested this manually now need to write a scrip to do so.
LTE_boi

Post by LTE_boi »

derekjsmith wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:35 pm I was going to do something similar but have the TTL 64 on the even hour and 65 on the odd hour. I've tested this manually now need to write a scrip to do so.

I saw your previous post and that's actually what inspired me to look into it further. Any way I can contribute to this script? I've been trying to do it myself but I'm lacking the specific knowledge on how to do so.

Return to “General and Unclassified”