I just received a MTK7621...

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Tuna8er

I just received a MTK7621...

Post by Tuna8er »

...I am trying to set it up with 2 Quectel EM12-G modems, brand new and set to manufacturers default. I have 3 Questions right now pertaining to these.

Can you put a 5G modem in this, because in the future I will want to?

The one I have only lists 3G LTE in the setup interface, Why,?

Right now, I have two Quectel EM12-G in it, does it need to be programmed with all the AT commands from Quectel or just the ones that pertain, they will not connect as they are now?
Tuna8er

Re: I just received a MTK7621...

Post by Tuna8er »

It is a MediaTek MT7621 ver.1 eco.3
Firmware of modified OpenWrt V1.4.6
Kernel 4.14.54

It will not connect to the modems. I AT Commanded them to go back to manufacturers default. I do not understand many of the AT Commands, and fields, so I set it back.
It detects the SIM, and yesterday carrier network, but won't stay connected to carrier. The Router says they are not connected. network,
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

What does the router/routers board look like? MTK7621 is a processor chip that these routers use, not really the brand/make/model of router.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

Any suggestions?

I used OpenWRT but in had no modem section on the interface. Then flashed GoldenOrb for ZBT WG3526 I believe.

Now it isn't detecting any radios, not WiFi or
Wan modems. Before the Wifi worked but the modems were present not connected, now they are all not present. I can't use the AT command section at all when mot present, so can't set them to manufacturer default. Is thier a way to get WIN 10 to act as a terminal to type AT Commands into the Modems. I have a USB Minie PCie to M2 adapter.

On a side note, are the GPS pigtails neccessary, 1 is loose, pops out fairly easy?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

That is an H721 M2M. Here is the proper goldenorb firmware: http://aturnofthenut.com/upload/h721-GO2021-05-18-wifi.zip

Here is the last version I have from the manufacturer: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

If using dual modems, make sure you have them both in MBIM or QMI. (I prefer MBIM)

for MBIM
AT+QCFG="usbnet",2

for QMI
AT+QCFG="usbnet",0

Reset the modem after settings: AT+CFUN=1,1
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

Just out of curiosity, what does the "H" in H7621 stand for, is it "Huwaii"? Doesn't the 7621 mean the chipset not router? Do I need to unplug the modems everytime I flash firmware?

How did you get your google drive to share like that? Pretty cool.

Here is the exterior, sorry didn't think it mattered, maybe it does. I will try that tonight. As I left it, I could not enter AT Commands, maybe with the right firmware I will be able to. (Sorry, room is a mess). I had custom profile set to QMI most recently, but it came MMIB, I tried DHCP client (since my remaining mofi4500 SIM 7 is set that way, my plan was to give my father my 2 mofi's keep this for myself, since he is rural also, on a fixxed income also<his is much more than mine>, and thinks of himself as a cord cutter, plus thier mobile, but my other mofi is down still after trying to upgrade the modems). I inted to mount it on a wall behind my T.V.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

O.K., it is broadcasting an Accesspount again, but it is not letting me change it or, access, wrong passwords. It didn't change the Admin Password either.

It is detecting the modems again as present and not connected. Those AT commands came back as "error", are they for the Quectel EM12-G? "ATI" Command works, see photo. I attacheched the EM12 AT command manual, not sure why.

BTW, this firmware is much cleaner than what it came with. Will miss the goldenOrb themes though, LoL, I liked "bootraps".

I tried doing all these but quit, due to the fact that some of these values I do not understand (around page 40)
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

I tried those AT commands for MMIB and CFUN again from my phone and they worked, What were they supposed to do?
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

Those commands did it, after I reflashed the firmware. It is now connected to V*sb1e, shows the right SIM and Modem also. Can't get on the Internet yet, but still working on it. Thanks to those MMIB AT commands Didneywhorl gave me and the proper firmware, these steps did it I believe.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

I noticed I forgot the TTL settings, so I set them to 64, and saved and applied, rebooted, came back up and is was back to where it was. No cell info, no visible carrier, no traffic. No connect but modems are present.

The MMIB command, "AT+QCFG="usbnet",2
May have done it, if it is on both modems could it be conflicting.

It still says "/dev/ttyUSB2" and USB6 on modem #2
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

You're getting there!

Google drive links: You can right click on the folder in side drive (if you have any created) and select 'get link'. Gotta make sure its set to sharing the way you want too.

Read up on the TTL article here: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2752

Needed for Visible.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

So I set the TTL value to 64, I will try 65 in a minute, then 66, and so on. I guess from what is sounds like the device deducts 1, the router deducts one, then there is the modem.

All this tim I thought TTL were related to devices for the hearing impaired, different memory sizes or something. I was going to flash it again, but I did not think to change the TTL Values, since that was when it stopped working (I Think) it had traffic, no internet, until the reboot after saving the TTL settings.
I had tried changing it to QMI AT commands, and flashed it, did not work (if on QMI do you still keep it set to MMIB?). I reset it back to MMIB, hoping it would catch again. I had disabled IPv6. After reading your Article I should just change the HL value, although not sure how to do that anyway.
Another Question, my mofis only worked when the DNS was set to 8.8.8.8 4.2.2.2
It doesn't specify if that is in the modem or the lan, I have been putting it in the modem custom profile, with log to yes, load balancing to yes, and AT on startup to yes in the advanced tab. The configure tab on toggle power and reconnect, no other changes. Do I need to change the MMIB settings?

I also saw you said you can only have 1 TTL on one network. Does this mean the dual SIM count as 1 network? I assumed I could set up 2 in one, each on seperate modems, being load balanced inside.

On my mofi setup I had 2 mofis going into a load balancer via lan, going out to 2 routers, all on 64 TTL, after it started slowing I switched to 65. If so could one modem be ran on IPv4 (TTL), and the other be ran on IPv6 (HL)? I will be keeping 2 SIM cards in it. Cost the same as cable Internet then, but I save $30 on my phone this way, plus not limited to one area, and can have more than 1 account at one residence (biggest problem here at my fathers, he won't upgrade even if I pay the difference, he thinks that is cord cutting by not paying for more than he needs). Sorry, I lost my train of thought, tired, I need to regroup.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

On a side note, did you see they are using your cell phone accounts to track you, using COVID 19 as an excuse. Google sent me a message stating my COVID 19 exposure may be high considering the places I have been on the Phone number associated with a SIM I have in my remaining mofi4500 that is on NordVPN. I haven't left this area in a year, and that SIM is stationary in my router with a VPN, LoL. Scary thoughbthey are still trying to tack us. Just thought the LTE Hack world may find that interesting.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

Something new with my down mofi4500 SIM 7. I tried to flash OpenWRT after leaving it unplugged for a few days, I get the M2m splash screen now on 192.168.1.1 with and without a Static IP. When I click on the router login it times out. Any suggestions?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Tuna8er wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:32 am Something new with my down mofi4500 SIM 7. I tried to flash OpenWRT after leaving it unplugged for a few days, I get the M2m splash screen now on 192.168.1.1 with and without a Static IP. When I click on the router login it times out. Any suggestions?
That's browser page cache. Always use a new private/incognito tab/window every time you login to your browser. This avoids the browser caching issues.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Tuna8er wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:21 pm So I set the TTL value to 64, I will try 65 in a minute, then 66, and so on. I guess from what is sounds like the device deducts 1, the router deducts one, then there is the modem.

All this tim I thought TTL were related to devices for the hearing impaired, different memory sizes or something. I was going to flash it again, but I did not think to change the TTL Values, since that was when it stopped working (I Think) it had traffic, no internet, until the reboot after saving the TTL settings.
I had tried changing it to QMI AT commands, and flashed it, did not work (if on QMI do you still keep it set to MMIB?). I reset it back to MMIB, hoping it would catch again. I had disabled IPv6. After reading your Article I should just change the HL value, although not sure how to do that anyway.
Another Question, my mofis only worked when the DNS was set to 8.8.8.8 4.2.2.2
It doesn't specify if that is in the modem or the lan, I have been putting it in the modem custom profile, with log to yes, load balancing to yes, and AT on startup to yes in the advanced tab. The configure tab on toggle power and reconnect, no other changes. Do I need to change the MMIB settings?

I also saw you said you can only have 1 TTL on one network. Does this mean the dual SIM count as 1 network? I assumed I could set up 2 in one, each on seperate modems, being load balanced inside.

On my mofi setup I had 2 mofis going into a load balancer via lan, going out to 2 routers, all on 64 TTL, after it started slowing I switched to 65. If so could one modem be ran on IPv4 (TTL), and the other be ran on IPv6 (HL)? I will be keeping 2 SIM cards in it. Cost the same as cable Internet then, but I save $30 on my phone this way, plus not limited to one area, and can have more than 1 account at one residence (biggest problem here at my fathers, he won't upgrade even if I pay the difference, he thinks that is cord cutting by not paying for more than he needs). Sorry, I lost my train of thought, tired, I need to regroup.

TTL is just an IPV4 parameter inside every tcp/ip packet sent over the network (local and internet) that some carriers use to track device type based data use. (Verizon and TMobile do this)
HL is the exact same thing but for IPV6.

TTL and HL are set using the routers iptables/ip6tables. Those are firewall rules. They are not set with AT commands.

MBIM and QMI are two different protocols of communication that modems use to communicate with the router it is plugged into.
A modem can only be in one of the two modes. The router detects the protocol of the modem and loads the appropriate drivers to be able to use the modem properly.
When using two modems on one router, they both must be in the same protocol mode or the router will not be able to use both at once, as routers can only load the driver for QMI or MBIM but not both.

AT commands are universal and have no bearing on which protocol the modem is set to.

You do, though, use AT commands to set which protocol you want the modem to use.

If you change protocol of the modem, you must reset the modem so that the router can reload the appropriate modem drivers for that modem protocol.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

I am done. I have tried everything I can, based on my limited knowledge and experience with this stuff. I am going to contact a local IT/Computer repair shop, it is costing me money to sit here guessing on how to get something to work that was supposed to be ready when it got here, just insert modem, SIM, and APN. My fathers secrataries husband turns out is an IT guy, he suggested I take it to a computer repair/IT shop. May cost $50-$100 for each router/modem combo. (The MOFI and EC25-AF, and The WG3526 and EM12-G). Why am I doing this when silicon Valley is 20 miles or less away? As soon as I have spare money that is. I have been trading Cryptocurrencies to make ends meet, and missed about a $276 trade 2 days ago messing with this stuff. I am a disabled Veteran 40% Service connected on Social Security medically retired, but my fixed income is not really enough to live on.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

I don't think you will have much luck with typical "IT" PC store. They may know of the networking side of things but i'm sure at this point you would know more about the "LTE" side of it unless they have experience already. At this point it could be several things such as comms (mbim vs. qmi, etc.) or TTL or ipv6 or dns or dhcp or. Unfortunately the setup you currently have is one of the more advanced setups that typically require more than just the basics since you have a dual modem setup along with a provider that is actively trying to block router access. If you do give it another go I'd suggest restoring all settings back to defaults for starters. I would then remove one of the modems and get at least 1 modem connection going before trying to setup a dual failover method. Other than setting the modem to MBIM mode I do not believe you should have to run a single AT command to get things going. All connection settings are done in the modem connection profile page. Then your TTL settings are done in the /network/firewall/custom rules or /network/firewall/custom ttl settings pages. You should then hopefully see a connection to the provider. After that is when you would move on and try to setup dual modems, however, Imo, I believe keeping the modems setup in separate devices like your first rigs were is a much better solution as problems tend to arise when trying to setup 1 router with 2 modems, at least more so than with separate hardware.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

So this morning I set the default manufacturer settings again, "AT&F", then "AT+QPOWD", then rebooted the system. Then what I learned from Didneywhorl. "AT+QCFG="usbnet",2" (watch the double quotes there) for MBIM, then "AT+CFUN=1,1" then reboot. Nada, copied the settings from the mofi the best I could, and had it set to use 1 modem., Nada. Modem Present, not connected, no VSBlintenternet.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

With a fresh stock router firmware, all you should need to set is the System time and time zone, and the Modem->Connection Profile->APN. Save and apply each before moving on to the next.

Then once that is done. reboot the router.

No need to make any more settings changes on the modem. The modem keeps all settings, no matter how many times you flash the router firmware.

If it doesn't connect with that, send me a screen shot of the output from: AT+CGDCONT? as well as a screen shot of the top of the Network Status page under the modem menu.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

A tech guy would know the proper terminology that is required for this stuff. Llike what values to enter in the mbim wan section, etc.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

First I want to thank you again didneywhorl for the firmware and help.

I excluded the part with my SIM card info in it. As you can see it is not connecting, in the wan 1 and wan 2 settings it shows mbim protocol, but no subscriber or sometines no registration. I also put the TTL to 64 DNS on the LAN, and your custom firewall rules on the network firewall settings.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

See where it says cellular mode, here it only goes up to 3G, why is that do you know? This is supposed to be a 5G ready router, it doesn't even show 4G LTE, GSM, WCDMA (which is standard now, if your phone can't do VOLTE you will probably be dropped. Most companies have already shut down thier 3G networks, I left Cricket because of this, the said I had to buy thier 4G (non GSM but higher phone) or my account would be closed, then it was. I feel like this firmware is limiting the hardware. When I had GoldenOrb in it it had all these options, but did not detect any radios/modems not even the wifi radio.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

Got a new one for you, I entered a overide MAC address on the LAN and another spot forgotten where. I put in the profile section default and custom ones, toggle power and reconnect modem, put the ping addresses at 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.2, 8.8.4.4, changed the MTU to 3000, and checked yes on logging, load balancing, and AT commands, and switch slots for the SIM card, and the modem came to life again. When I went to network status it connected to v*sib1es FDD LTE nerwork. I could not log into it after that as I went to switch from my phone to PC.
I googled it and FDD LTE is 5G LTE for v*sb1e, for lack of a better term. There is also TDD. I hate that they call it 5G. I didn't get to do a speedtest. I had no APN inputted yet as I had just done another factory reset, and rebooted, forgot to remove the SIM first. With the modem that is in the usb 2.0 socket not the 3.0. wait no the SIM is in the 3.0 socket. I think due to the default profile, not sure. This f'ing thing is driving me nuts. BTW, if I replace the mofi modem in this to see if the board recieves it?
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

I am wrong again, it was on band 2. What I just read is it was probably an AT&T signal of some kind, and that FDD and TDD are old as a version of 3G developed by the chinese. I did read though that V*sb1e has a 5G network called FDD LTE, can't find it now.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

Nope, I can't be wrong. These modems are not capable of 3G, or GSM. These Paddles are sold as 5G but pick up 4G also. If V*sib1e lease thier 4G Volte from Ver1z*n, maybe they are leasing thier 5G frim A7&7. Hmmm...

It sparked with no APN, I wonder if AT&T APN would grab the signal. If it works with Vis*b1e SIM it is not stealing if they are leasing it. If it is in the airwaves it is free, unless you use fake credentials to bypass security features, like Broadcast HD TV. I inow 5G on Vis*b1e is broadcast on N2?? (Thats "N" Two hundred something, 60 or 70,71, I forget). This said it picked up on B2, I will definitely play with it tomarrow,
Also, I think where I had the router/modem positioned in my house may have been an issue also, 5G is bad at penetration, and out here 4G isn't good unless your near a window, and even then in bad weather the signal is weak and patchy, causing Lag and rubberbanding on xbox one.
I also read awhile back when 5G was still being built (a year or so ago) that it is on the same bands, just higher frequencies, like "B66, N271" type of thing. Relabling the radiowaves, like the Army did when I was in. To keep the radio channels we used less accessable by the enemy and civilians.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

Hope it wasn't a fluke, 5G has a speed cap of 200mbps down with my carrier, with dual SIMS, that is alot of bandwith. With TTL, that is alot of HD movies and gaming. Stupid they lower the quality to SD, maybe 7mbps to 4mbps, when people pay Netflix and Hulu extra for HD.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

Vis*b1e also leases cell From American Towers that was leased to the American Towers for the next 28 years for 5 billion dollars, Vis*b1es lease is up early next year, American Towers may terminate if A7&7 push it.

(Bottom photo)A7&7 just acquired a huge portion of Ver1z*n, and may shut down Vis*b1e down soon, This may be why Yahoo mobile, my old carrier closed up shop, abruptly. Mint Mobile is also up for sale. A7&7 will shut us down most likely, may want to keep an eye out for a new carrier. There is an Article that thier joining for es to shut down T-mobile. This plus T-mobiles other recent problems (could be corporate espionage) could mean problems fo T-mobile and thier customers. I have not been a fan of A7&7 since they shut down the government regulated Ma Bell Telecoms, which paved the way for Time Warner Cable. I also read Vis*b1e is converting Spectrum towers from 2/3G to 4/5G, so there is still hope, not much, but it is there.

This seems a way to come up with a clean MAC address for routers/modems, so no one gets hurt, just do it and copy it into your router, then go back to your old one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techre ... ndroid-10/
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

So here is the new development. I got that signal back this morning, but no matter what APN could not get internet. Now it has disappeared. May be only strong enough at night, less radiowave interference from the sun. Tried it with the modem outside during the day. Nope, nothing. Don't understand why it does not aggregate any more., May set back to manufactuerer defaults on the modems again.

Thought this was interesting though:

https://www.myapnsettings.com/2020/05/v ... -2020.html
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

So as it is that firm ware will not let me save changes to WAN1 or WAN2, this even with the right AT Commands as soon as I reboot or it loses power it reverts to the settings it came with go those to things, being programed back by the router. I tried to delete the Interfaces, they came back, I tried many times. I tried to bypass it by making my own interfaces. I think they just may be for show. Golden orb only detected it as a router with no modems. And on the interface, the modems receive power from USB slots. No way to know for sure without the full version of the firmware.
Does anyone know of any firmware for Worda H721. I bought the wifi mimo it came with, an ac radio/modem, now when I think about it that is late '90's early '2K' technologies. It was phased out, and replaced with b/g/n, "n" replacing "ac" and "b" replacing "a". This must be why it only shows 3G in the options. My modems won't connect to 3G. These things aren't defective their a scam. Seems like a lot of work to make $100. I guess if you have warehouses of this stuff, and lost money on it, I guess every penny counts. To bad they have to lie about it though, and rip off other hard working people. I seriously fought the LAN on it is 10/100/1000 Mbps. They also risked my actual modems. Wonder what their modems are made of card board aluminum foils, and C4.

Still no word back from mofi if I can send it in for repairs. Watch out for this company and 524WiFi.com.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

As far as visible working against, would not be legal. Congress voted in 2008 that cable companies and cell carriers have to allow you to bring your own equipment. They can not sell you a service, then lease you the equipment to use said service, this is racketeering. They must provide equipment with service free of charge. Since that would be expensive, providers must allow private equipment as long as it does not slow their network down. So you see you are allowed to bring in approved devices. (Devices that do not slow down their services). It is regulated by the fcc, and Congress. FCC laws also make it a federal and sometimes international crime to use any cellular device to commit a crime. That includes false advertisement.
This H721 I believe to be a router from '90's early millennium era Europe, that they attempted to repurpose with the USB slots to power modems. When that failed, especially with US carriers doing away with 3G, and switching to 4G "VOLTE" compatible only devices. I believe they rig the device to appear as if your making changes, and then you feel as if you are doing something wrong. But are not actually changing anything but the display.
Fraud is a crime, cellular fraud is a Federal and International crime.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Tuna8er wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:28 pm So as it is that firm ware will not let me save changes to WAN1 or WAN2, this even with the right AT Commands as soon as I reboot or it loses power it reverts to the settings it came with go those to things, being programed back by the router. I tried to delete the Interfaces, they came back, I tried many times. I tried to bypass it by making my own interfaces. I think they just may be for show.
Completely normal operation. I can't think of one thing that should be changed under the interface tab. This is all done automagically. You can not remove/delete interfaces in this way, if you do, like you have seen, it will 'repair' itself upon next reboot.
I bought the wifi mimo it came with, an ac radio/modem, now when I think about it that is late '90's early '2K' technologies. It was phased out, and replaced with b/g/n, "n" replacing "ac" and "b" replacing "a".
Impossible and completely wrong. 802.11ac is one of the latest wifi technologies if not the latest.
This must be why it only shows 3G in the options. My modems won't connect to 3G. These things aren't defective their a scam. Seems like a lot of work to make $100.
Pretty sure those modems still work with 3G, however, not for much longer. If the sim was active and working and your 4G/LTE signal flat out sucked, it would still fall back to 3G speeds, at least most of the different lines I've had do.
I guess if you have warehouses of this stuff, and lost money on it, I guess every penny counts. To bad they have to lie about it though, and rip off other hard working people. I seriously fought the LAN on it is 10/100/1000 Mbps. They also risked my actual modems. Wonder what their modems are made of card board aluminum foils, and C4.
I do not own an H721 but I know people still use them and as far as I know they are pretty decent devices.

All in all, it sounds like something has went south right from the start from sending random AT commands and flashing various firmwares and deleting interfaces etc. That and the fact that you've seemed to skip over various pieces of guidance that has been given, it doesn't fair well to receiving further help, imo anyway. I hate that you can't get your dual modem setup working, but you may be in too deep at this point as it looks like it's gonna take some real digging to get to the bottom of what is really going on. Again, first thing I'd do is get rid of one of those modems and start with getting the first one working. Having this much difficulty, try to simplify the system and go from there.
Tuna8er

Post by Tuna8er »

Got it to work, just follow the advice here:

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1703#p11634

Return to “General and Unclassified”