AT&T shutoff of 3G February 2022 may affect you.

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
MattB29

AT&T shutoff of 3G February 2022 may affect you.

Post by MattB29 »

Cricket sent me a SMS notifying me that my Sierra EM7565 (in a WG3526) would no longer work come Feb 2022 for their Data only plan. They base this on all devices must be VoLTE (HD) after that date. I have known for sometime that Cricket was no longer allowing IMEI's from many cellular modems to be activated. All of this is based on AT&T no longer going to support 3G.

However in my research today I see the AT&T is going to shutoff all connection to any devices that do not match their whitelist: https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/su ... etwork.pdf It will not matter if your phone or cellular modem is capable of LTE or not. It must be on the list or it is gone. Those of us needing devices with external antennas for reception might have a real difficult time of finding compatible cellular modems. If the IMEI is not on the whitelist it can not be activated.

Doing some more research I find AT&T justification for this is based on them repurposing their 3G bands to 5G and they decided if your phone or modem receives those 3G bands than it is a 3G phone or modem. Though their own hotspots seems to be excluded from that reasoning.
tetranz

Re: AT&T shutoff of 3G February 2022 may affect you.

Post by tetranz »

Does this really mean that everyone using a router with a EM7565 is out of luck with AT&T after Feb 2022?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

For ATT it is called their sunset program, they are dropping all wireless devices that do not support VoLTE. That's all.

Quectel has already released updates or revisions to deal with the changes that ATT is putting in place.

I think Sierra has as well, but I don't have direct communications with Sierra reps.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:26 pm For ATT it is called their sunset program, they are dropping all wireless devices that do not support VoLTE. That's all.

Quectel has already released updates or revisions to deal with the changes that ATT is putting in place.

I think Sierra has as well, but I don't have direct communications with Sierra reps.
Problem is not the modem working, it is it's IMEI being accepted by AT&T. Updates notwithstanding. I could find no mention of any that are acceptable. If you have other information and a source I would be interested in reading it.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Could this effect my AT&T post pay tablet plan that I have going right now?
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

gscheb wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:38 pm Could this effect my AT&T post pay tablet plan that I have going right now?
Is your tablet on the list? If not it most likely will effect you.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Well the sim isn't in the tablet itself.
green73

Post by green73 »

Is there anything on that list that will accept external antennas?
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

No mention of any cellular modem/routers such as Netgears LM1200 or even the Cradlepoint units

People with vehicle based modems might also be impacted by this stuff.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

green73 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:51 pm Is there anything on that list that will accept external antennas?
Some of the mobile Hotspots will. Generally a TS-9 connector for Netgear offerings.
green73

Post by green73 »

MattB29 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:18 am Some of the mobile Hotspots will. Generally a TS-9 connector for Netgear offerings.
Of course netgear would be the most popular option. A company that embeds telemetry/spyware in their routers.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

I am wondering if anyone out there has a Nighthawk M1 4G LTE Mobile Router that they could check the IMEI at Cricket for compatibility. https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-ph ... your-phone

If I was to buy one it would be good to know if it works. Tia.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

I had a conversation about this over on AT&T's Community forum. https://forums.att.com/conversations/ot ... 33516760f3

Not looking good for people with non-whitelisted data devices.

ETA: I just had one final message from a AT&T rep there. No hope.
ch6418

Post by ch6418 »

Check your device's compatibility
Yay, your MR1100 is compatible!
I just activated a used att branded MR1100 on a cricket simply data plan to try it out - works ok so far. Before I bought it, I checked a few 1A1NAS, 2A1NAS and 100NAS imeis from ebay photos and cricket said they were compatible.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Thanks. I would prefer a more regular cellular router like the Orbi or the LM1200 but if the only thing they will allow for AT&T is the mobile hotspot devices like the Nighthawk then I guess it is what it is.
zckoon91

Post by zckoon91 »

MattB29 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:36 pm Problem is not the modem working, it is it's IMEI being accepted by AT&T. Updates notwithstanding. I could find no mention of any that are acceptable. If you have other information and a source I would be interested in reading it.
This is essentially what the AT&T rep told me when I first tried to sign up for the tablet plan--I had an old iPad and it wasn't on their whitelist. I sold it for an iPad mini (3rd gen) which is on their whitelist.

It seems like using AT&T starting Feb 2022 will require magic on your modem if you haven't already done it.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

As an update, After contacting Netgear through their community Forum it became clear that they did not understand their cellular routers were not AT&T certified. They had responded to me that these devices would work with specific plans (I assume they meant Data) when it is not the plan or the capability but the device being on AT&T's whitelist that matters. Perhaps they will solves this before Feb. 2022. If not I am sure there will be much screaming.

At any rate I have bought a unlocked MR1100 and will be swapping out my WG3526 with the EM7565. Testing with a Red Pocket data sim is showing that it works as good for reception connected up to my external antenna. I also bought a better charger/power supply since I intend it to be a fixed device (I have no need for mobile) and don't wish to deal with the battery. From my reading the charger Netgear supplies with the mobile router is not sufficient to run it without the battery. (They claim it is but real world testing had shown dropped connections)
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Have been using a post pay tablet plan for awhile now. Have not received any notification that it will be turned off. Using older Samsung tablet. Checked it on this imei checker with cricket link and it says it is compatible. The sim itself is in a Netgear LBR20. So If they are not shutting me down now for using it in a LBR20 sim activated with a compatible device why would they do it after February? When the device used for activation will still be compatible?
Tablet Check.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

You are not running the Samsung so it being compatible is meaningless. Your device IMEI will be reported as the LBR20. The LBR20 IMEI is not compatible if you enter it at Crickets checker. Will Cricket (AT&T) shut it down? Your guess is as good as mine. However for me I use this for my home internet. I don't have any options like the urban folk have. That is why I am doing this stuff now to be ahead of the game.

As a Rant; Why is it so hard for company representatives to understand simple ideas? I told Netgear their cellular routers would not work due to not being on AT&T's 3G shutdown proof compatible list and they respond with their devices are LTE. not 3G. Well Duh! That is not the problem. The problem is AT&T has a list of devices that they will allow after the Feb. 2022 3G shutdown and Netgears cellular routers is not on it.

It is frustrating dealing with such blank stupidity. So I give up.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

I found something else of interest about this shutdown by searching for AT&T IOT impact. This page here https://iotdevices.att.com/att-iot/3GSunset.aspx gives an explanation and also has a link to what they call modules (modem chipsets) that will work with AT&T some needing a patch to do so.

So on one hand AT&T lists my modem as being OK with the correct firmware version but on the other it is not acceptable for activation because of their Whitelist.
zckoon91

Post by zckoon91 »

MattB29 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:43 am ...when it is not the plan or the capability but the device being on AT&T's whitelist that matters...

At any rate I have bought a unlocked MR1100 and will be swapping out my WG3526 with the EM7565.
This shouldn't matter if your modem matches the compatible device IMEI. I wouldn't be so quick to swap out your equipment unless you are planning on staying within TOS.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

I stay within TOS. That way I can demand the company I deal with to live up to their end of the bargain.

Probably put the WG3526 with the EM7565 up for sale.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

Hello,

This decision by AT&T is just to reduce their support call volume. The redress depends on what legal constructs you have available in your state.

My neighbors and I are in California, and have filed disputes citing SB 822: AT&T (or any other carrier) is not allowed to exclude a device that is non harmful and this is literally against that.

Verizon put us through this mess 2 years ago and we used legal redress to solve that issue, to the point that Verizon is now required to work at an IMEI level with a clear portal that allows you to check status at an IMEI level, so we have solved this problem before.

It's just the same procedure we will have to follow with AT&T this time because this wasn't codified into the FCC (federal level).

If you are in the deserts of California, please PM so I can slot you in for the workshops where we are helping people file these disputes. We are not allowed to do it online as these procedures are pre-COVID and require wet signatures and postal fees to be paid.

If you are not local, but in California, please read up on SB 822 and do ensure 3 certified, tracked copies go out. I cannot give specific legal advice beyond these tips.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:21 pm Hello,

Hello back,
My location is Arkansas so California law does not help although I appreciate the Information. I have bought a Device that will work and meets requirements (Netgear Mr1100) so my issue is settled. Hope you folks in California are successful in bringing AT&T to heel since that will likely help others.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Just got done fully transferring my Cricket account to the Netgear Mr1100 and it took over 3 hours to update the firmware. I worried that it was stuck and tried a couple of power offs and back on (it tells you not to before going blank). However after removing the sim and giving some extra time it finally updated. Next problem was getting the sim recognized. Not sure about that but it took removing and reinserting 4-5 times before it recognized it.

My setup is Outdoor MIMO panel antenna outdoors on a mast attached to the porch roof. 15ft RG58 cable down and through wall. SMA to TS9 adapters on both RG58 cables to the M1 Nighthawk. The M1 is powered by an Anker Power Port+ USB supply, battery removed. From the M1 I have Cat 8 Ethernet cable to a TP Link unmanged 5 port switch and from there it feeds my home.

I must say the biggest difference I notice is I now have a better upload speed. It blows away the best I had seen before with the old setup. Previously I was lucky to get 1.5-3mbs up, mostly sub 1mbs with the EM7565. Might be that Cat 16 modem in the Nighthawk versus the Cat 12 of the Sierra. Or it might just be magic. Never know with this stuff. At any rate here is my latest speed test, Image

After a few days of "just to be sure" time I will list the WG3526 and Sierra EM7565 for sale.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

That is a very respectable speed for a family to use.

Have you dived into ATT's CGNAT?
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

I had to look up AT&T CGNAT. Not an issue for my use. I run 1 computer (have a wired backup computer) and a smart TV. No family. Very basic use with fitting in easily under the 20GB/mo of a Cricket Data only plan.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Out of curiosity I revisited this topic to see if AT&T had relented on its whitelist. As far as my search abilities have been able to find is AT&T is steaming ahead on it. The latest person complaining on a Reddit forum was an Canadian executive who attempted to get his M5200 on Cricket's 100gb data only plan. Cricket would not let him no matter how much he hit up support trying to make it work. He repeatedly was thwarted by AT&T's not listing the M5200 as a acceptable device although the similar M5100 is listed.

In my research one thing that caught my attention was many devices are requiring a firmware update even if they are on AT&T's whitelist. Thinking about this some it made me recall all of those folks using a spoofed IMEI device. It would be an instant tell if you were told to upgrade your firmware to meet AT&T's new system and you could not because you were running the sim card in a spoof IMEI device instead of the approved device. Not to say this is going to happen but just something to think about.

I hope folks have a backup plan just in case with just a month to go before 3G shutdown.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Never understood why they need to block allot of devices to get rid of 3G. Seems unnecessary.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

gscheb wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:20 pm Never understood why they need to block allot of devices to get rid of 3G. Seems unnecessary.
Agreed. Honestly its a bullshite excuse to illegally limit devices on their network. Verizon has been doing this legal line toe for a while now. Seems ATT is joining the party under this 3G guise.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Latest information I can find from AT&T is
We’re sunsetting service on the 3G network on February 22, 2022 to allow newer, faster, cutting-edge technology.

After February 22, 2022 some 4G LTE modules and devices that request 3G voice services and data-only services to connect to the AT&T network will no longer work. You don't want to be left without service.
They explain a bit why certain devices that are not set as data centric even if lte rate will no longer work here. https://www.business.att.com/content/da ... _brief.pdf
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello All,
Guess they are moving forward with this shutdown soon?
Still waiting to see if this is going to put the kibosh on my AT&T post paid tablet set up.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I still think this isn't going to be the end all of the devices we use, it just might require some settings changes. Most of us hide the modem identities anyway. ;)
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

I see a few complaints starting to pop up concerning phones being shut off yesterday (Feb 1st) that are not on AT&T's whitelist. Although the final 3G shutoff date is listed at Feb 22 I am sure that they are in the process now of cutting off service.
shammer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by shammer »

I was turned off today. 2/4/22. Time to leave cricket, anyone know where i should look to get service for a mofi5500 9191?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Last week my post pay at&t turned off. Put the sim into the Tablet and still wouldn't connect. Called at&t and they said it was a sim card issue. Mailed out a new one. After getting it activated in the tablet put it back in router and back up and running again.
Just encase this happens to anyone else.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

I have read where several people had issues when switching to an approved phone but using their old sim after a few days they could not connect. Those of you that run spoofed IMEI devices may need to do what gscheb did. Though whether his continues to work past the 22nd will be interesting. The tablet's IMEI must be one that is on the whitelist.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

MattB29 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:36 am I have read where several people had issues when switching to an approved phone but using their old sim after a few days they could not connect. Those of you that run spoofed IMEI devices may need to do what gscheb did. Though whether his continues to work past the 22nd will be interesting. The tablet's IMEI must be one that is on the whitelist.
My tablet is on the white list. The router I am using is not on the whitelist. Didn't change anything just moved the sim from tablet to router. Will let everyone know whether it makes it past the February 22nd.
ylrkdr

Post by ylrkdr »

FWIW, my MOFI 4500 is still going strong at the moment. If 3G is actually shut down now, it didn't affect me.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

gscheb wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:00 am My tablet is on the white list. The router I am using is not on the whitelist. Didn't change anything just moved the sim from tablet to router. Will let everyone know whether it makes it past the February 22nd.
Mine is still on this morning. Wonder if 3G really did go down? Know in the past with other carriers they kept pushing the shut down date.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Good your devices are still working . The first sign I can find of problems is one persons account over at the Netgear Forums of their LB1120 stopping with AT&T notification
I received the following notification yesterday from AT&T:

" CANCELLATION NOTICE - It's urgent you upgrade to a new compatible device. Your current device will stop working any day now, and, on April 1st, AT&T will terminate your account. As a result, you will lose data service on your device. To repeat, it's urgent you get a new device now. Visit an AT&T store to replace your device."

The LB1120 is currently connected to 4G with a strong signal. 5G is not availabe in my area yet. I visited the AT&T store and no one there could tell me what the compatibilty issue is, only that AT&T will be disconnecting it in less than a month. AT&T does not offer a similar product, which is why I have the LB1120 as a "bring your own device"...
Hard to say how many folks are affected until more complain about it.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

So - has AT&T shut down its 3G network on February 2022?

I had a few LTE/4G ready phones not on their list in the PDF lying around - plugged them in and they would all have LTE signal/I would be able to browse/videos etc and then the connection would drop to 10kbps until I plugged the SIM back into my approved phone.

I was able to do this 5 times until the SIM card got suspended, I had to call AT&T CS and explain to them I was getting the phones ready for people coming in from Ukraine. They told me only the phones on the PDF would work and offered to sell the Calypto 2 for $40 with a prepaid plan to 20 people per address.

So - has AT&T shut down its 3G network on February 2022 or it's delayed to April?
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:25 pm ...

So - has AT&T shut down its 3G network on February 2022 or it's delayed to April?
Yes it has. Although not all 3G is shutdown what with cooperative agreements with the other carriers and the necessity to replace equipment. What happens when they shutdown later this year is the next point of interest. Sounds confusing especially after AT&T notified a lot of people (some in error) that their accounts would be terminated come April. The account termination is really a separate thing from phones not working. You can keep an account going by upgrading your equipment.

On the DATA front my understanding is many cellular devices will keep working if they are LTE even if they are not on AT&T whitelist up until a IMEI sweep finds them. Or if they have the correct firmware that matches the iOT list for devices which is like for alarms, POS, Kiosk, autos and such they also are OK.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

MattB29 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:14 am On the DATA front my understanding is many cellular devices will keep working if they are LTE even if they are not on AT&T whitelist up until a IMEI sweep finds them
In my case, such LTE devices had their speeds throttled to sub 100kbps and I had to call in to get the line "whitelisted" at which point it was able to access LTE again full speed. I did not remove the SIM from the device the whole time so it's not that the LTE device is incompatible, it's that they are enforcing massive scale IMEI sweeps periodically.

I could not test enough to calculate the sweep period because on my second call the CSR politely asked me to cut it out and even offered me a $80 phone for $40.

I don't think this is legal. I am i a rush right now but I believe VWZ failed to defend themselves against an exact situation like this.
aidwilli
Been thanked: 0

Post by aidwilli »

My mc400lp6 stopped working yesterday. The sim provider thinks it's due to the modem not being in the white list. I ordered a quectel em160r-gl from China that i hope will work with some tweaks.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Have two of these running with Net-gear LBR20 still going.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Just Sending a message to see if there is anyone that might have got shut down? Thinking of setting this up for someone on the post pay AT&T tablet plan. Thanks

Return to “Internet Service Providers”