Orbi LBR20 SMA Ports

Information related to Orbi routers
Forum rules
Use the search function prior to posting a topic on a subject that already exists
thevinmanfxst
Been thanked: 0

Orbi LBR20 SMA Ports

Post by thevinmanfxst »

Does anyone out there have an Orbi LBR20? What antenna ports does it have? Female SMA ..OR..Female RP-SMA (Reverse Polarity) - I'm seeing conflicting info on the web vs the pictures on the website. I cannot tell. (I'm preparing a cable order and I'm trying to select the connector types)
Dr-BroadBand

Re: Orbi LBR20 SMA Ports

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

What SIM/Data plan do you plan to use??
How much data per month?? :geek:
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

thevinmanfxst wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:30 pm Does anyone out there have an Orbi LBR20? What antenna ports does it have? Female SMA ..OR..Female RP-SMA (Reverse Polarity) - I'm seeing conflicting info on the web vs the pictures on the website. I cannot tell. (I'm preparing a cable order and I'm trying to select the connector types)
RP-SMA female connectors have a pin which protrudes from the center. The LBR20 is standard female SMA (does not have a center, protruding pin).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMA_connector
https://fccid.io/PY319400468/External-P ... os-4708061
alamont

Post by alamont »

I read on the Wireless Joint Facebook group that someone is reporting the 4x4 MIMO antenna ports(ie. the other two in addition to the two SMA connectors on the back) of the Orbi are relatively accessible. Does anyone have experience in getting 4X4 MIMO using 4 external antennas ports working? I'm not great with a soldering iron, but if they're physical pigtail connectors it might be worth cracking this thing open.
alamont

Post by alamont »

@hazarjast I think it may have been your Orbi project that I saw on the facebook group. Did you end up putting the Orbi in a box and doing 4x4 mimo? I'm thinking of adding 2 SMA ports to the Orbi by finding a good spot to drill through the plastic case. My Orbi is going to be an inside-Orbi with 25ft LMR400 cables going out to each antenna. Do you have a sense of how much better 2x2 Mimo with external antennas is vs.4x4 external antennas will be ? It looks like I need U.fl to SMA pigtails, any recommendations on good quality set to get? Any advice on attaching the U.fl plugs to the modem, it looks like a fairly small connection.
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

alamont wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:33 pm @hazarjast I think it may have been your Orbi project that I saw on the facebook group. Did you end up putting the Orbi in a box and doing 4x4 mimo? I'm thinking of adding 2 SMA ports to the Orbi by finding a good spot to drill through the plastic case. My Orbi is going to be an inside-Orbi with 25ft LMR400 cables going out to each antenna. Do you have a sense of how much better 2x2 Mimo with external antennas is vs.4x4 external antennas will be ? It looks like I need U.fl to SMA pigtails, any recommendations on good quality set to get? Any advice on attaching the U.fl plugs to the modem, it looks like a fairly small connection.
Apologies, I just came to see this thread ("@" callout does not seem to generate any notification to me on the forum). I do not have tests comparing 2x2 to 4x4 as I already had a 4x4 setup that I used directly when deploying the LBR20 outdoors. Regardless, you are correct on the form factor: all 4 u.fl connectors easily exposed to use with your choice of pigtails (N-type in my case but SMA should work fine since that is what two of them already are out of the box). thewirelesshaven.com sells quality stuff and should typically stock the SMA pigtails you are after.

As far as any 'tips' to attaching them, just make sure the u.fl connector end on the pigtail is centered over the connector on the LBR20 PCB and apply equal force to that center with the pad of your finger (or tip if your fingers are large). It should snap in relatively easily as u.fl are not nearly as hard to line up as their smaller brethren, MHF4. As with any of these types of small connectors just go slow and do not force it if something does not feel like it is going in. In my experience with attaching pigtails to the LBR20 it was easy to pop them on and off with ease (but try to minimize taking them on and off as they were not designed for constant removal and reconnection like larger, threaded connections such as SMA are).
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

hazarjast wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:20 am ..
alamont wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:33 pm ..

You have to quote the person to get the system to email them a notification.
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

Didneywhorl wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:26 pm You have to quote the person to get the system to email them a notification.
Thank you for clarifying this!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

@hazarjast tagging works now too. :)

Return to “Orbi”