Can't Get USB Tethering Working

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
ken.piper

Can't Get USB Tethering Working

Post by ken.piper »

Happy New Year everyone! I'm attempting to set up USB tethering with a Samsung Galaxy S7 and a Linksys WRT 3200 ACM router, but I can't seem to make it work.

I'm following BillA's instructions quoted here:

*** Tethering a phone to a router via USB ***

First, turn off WiFi on the phone and make sure that it has a working mobile internet connection by running a sped test in the phone's browser (http://www.bing.com/widget/t/speedtest).

Connect the phone to the router's USB port via a regular USB charging/data cable.

On the phone go to Settings > Cellular/Connections/Network > Personal Hotspot/Mobile Tethering, and turn on USB Tethering. The location of the tethering menu may be slightly different on each phone model, so dig around the menus to find it. If it's prompting whether to use both USB and WiFi/Bluetooth, choose USB only, and make sure to turn off WiFi on the phone.

On the router disable the internal modem, or better yet physically remove it.

Go to Modem > Network Status > Prev/Next Modem > to select the tethered phone.

Go to Modem > Connection Profile > fill in the proper APN for your carrier, then click SAVE&APPLY.

Go to Network > Firewall > Custom TTL Settings > make sure that the settings checkbox is DISABLED, then click SAVE&APPLY.

Go to Network > Firewall > Custom Rules > copy and paste the two lines below to the bottom of the rules window, then click RESTART FIREWALL.
Adjust the tethered "usb<x>" device (usually "usb0") and TTL values (64/65/117) for your specific carrier.

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65

Go to Network Interfaces > LAN > General Setup > Use Custom DNS Servers > set the DNS to 8.8.8.8/9.9.9.9, then click SAVE&APPLY.

Finally, restart the router, enable USB Tethering again on the phone and test your internet connection.
You may have to reselect the tethered phone under Modem > Network Status > Prev/Next Modem (usually "usb0").

Keep in mind, you have to manually turn on USB Tethering on the phone every time you re-power or connect it to the router, but nothing else needs to be done on the router after the initial setup. In order to turn on USB Tethering automatically whenever the phone is turned on, you can use an app like Automate (no root) or Tasker (for root) from the PlayStore:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... b.automate

If everything has been done correctly, you should be able to use your phone's unlimited mobile data through the router along with all of its advanced features.

I have Goldenorb installed and can access the WiFiX interface just fine. What can I post here that could allow someone knowledgeable to diagnose where I'm going wrong?

Some other particulars include it is on the Verizon network with a legit, paid-for plan with hotspot access. I believe Verizon's TTL value is 65, so that's what I used. I also tried 117 just to check.

The router is seeing the phone, but it is not connecting to the phone's modem.

One section I found confusing was disabling the router's radio, so that could be a problem.

Really, I'm just lost at this point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ken.piper

Re: Can't Get USB Tethering Working

Post by ken.piper »

I should also add that I can't get it working via WiFi, either. Whenever I try to connect via WiFi (after changing the settings per the instructions), I get an incorrect password message (but it is the correct password).
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
What cell service are you using on this phone?
ken.piper

Post by ken.piper »

It's on Verizon. I just discovered something else: I can access the internet via the LAN cable, just not WiFI. Also, I had been using the USB 3 port on the router until I discovered there was a regular USB port, so I just switched to that, which I think is when it started working via cable.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Also might want to try putting this into the custom rules.

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 117
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j HL --hl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j HL --hl-set 117
#end TTL rules
ken.piper

Post by ken.piper »

I will try it. Is this in place of the two lines in Bill's post? Also, is Verizon 117 or 65?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

ken.piper wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:42 pm I will try it. Is this in place of the two lines in Bill's post? Also, is Verizon 117 or 65?
Yes this will replace the two lines that bill said. Believe got this from bill though as well.
For a Verizon phone try it just the way I put it with the 117. That is how mine always worked.
ken.piper

Post by ken.piper »

Made that change. Still won't allow a WiFi connection, but working great via the cable.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

OK
Don't know much about the router you listed. Have read on here where some people say certain routers when loaded with rooter firmware it will disable the wifi on the router. Might be what is going on here.
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

been there and still there u need the following
#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j HL --hl-set 64
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j HL --hl-set 64
#end TTL rules
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

i regret getting verizon stuck with them for a while once i can get out going back to firstnet
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

On my Verizon phone needed TTL 117.
Recently switched to Visible for my phone. Like it allot, super cheap, same coverage, just high ping.
Just recently got one of these routers as well. Seems good deal for tethering a phone too.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2064
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

You may need to bridge the connection from the usb to the wlan
ken.piper

Post by ken.piper »

I'm stuck with Verizon since it's the only carrier that has a signal in my area. In fact, I have two T-Mobile modems in boxes to go back to the carrier right now. I was really hoping the new T-Mobile Home Internet offer was going to work for me, but the signal is pretty much nonexistent. If anyone is looking for a home internet option and has a T-Mobile signal, it's pretty hard to beat the deal of $50/month with no limits or throttling.

Anyway, back to my problem, I'm still in the same boat. About the only thing I've discovered is having the "Enable Hotspot Connection" box checked in the Hotspot Manager is what allows me to connect via cable. If I uncheck that, the cable connection goes away ... that's crazy since that's supposed to be for WiFi tethering, which won't connect either.
ken.piper

Post by ken.piper »

Just wanted to post an update for those who were helpful. I ended up bricking the Linksys router, so I started the process again with my WE826. I got to the same roadblock but then decided to try using my Galaxy S10 as the source. Suddenly it was working. When I hooked up the S7 again, it worked, too. I have no idea why, but I'll take it. The WE826 doesn't have the broadcast strength of the Linksys, and so far my XBox won't connect to the setup, but the TV and several computers connected just fine. Thanks to everyone who took time to respond and offer help!
BillA

Post by BillA »

ken.piper wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:43 am Just wanted to post an update for those who were helpful. I ended up bricking the Linksys router, so I started the process again with my WE826. I got to the same roadblock but then decided to try using my Galaxy S10 as the source. Suddenly it was working. When I hooked up the S7 again, it worked, too. I have no idea why, but I'll take it. The WE826 doesn't have the broadcast strength of the Linksys, and so far my XBox won't connect to the setup, but the TV and several computers connected just fine. Thanks to everyone who took time to respond and offer help!

On most Samsung phones (depending on carrier firmware), you can dial *#0808# and set it to "RNDIS+DM+Modem".
With this setting, once you activate USB Tethering on the phone, it will stay selected even if you disconnect/reconnect the USB cable. You will only need to reactivate USB Tethering if you restart the phone.
If the above dialing command doesn't work, can do the same setting on any phone including different Android brands, by enabling Developer Options > USB Configuration > set RNDIS (USB ethernet). Search the web on "how to enable Developer Options".

By the way, I have updated the original post with some more details, including IPv4/6 TTL rules, and APN settings on the phone.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=10303#p10303

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”