Any experience with the 4x MIMO antenna and T-Mobile?

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
ghfct
Has thanked: 0

Any experience with the 4x MIMO antenna and T-Mobile?

Post by ghfct »

I have ATT (which is on the same tower) and had great success with the WiFix yagi antennas. I have just gotten the new 5G Nokia T-Mobile home internet service, but just 2 bars of signal. It never pulls in the secondary channel. My goal is to attach a suitable external antenna. There is a facebook group (https://facebook.com/groups/360887451937077/) where people have posted photos of the disassembled router and how they attached the pigtails, but not much discussion of suitable antennas.

Does anyone have experience with the WiFix 4x mimo antenna (700-3800MHz Cellular 8dBi Directional 4×4 MIMO Antenna) an the new T-Mobile 5G Nokia router? I have opened it up and have found the u.fl connectors for its 4 internal antennas. My plan is to use the following parts from WiFix to improve signal:

One antenna: 700-3800MHz Cellular 8dBi Directional 4×4 MIMO Antenna
A pair of coax cables: LMR200 Low Loss Duplex Coax (Dual) Cables N Male Connector 10 Feet | 2 X N Male | 2 X SMA Male Right Angle
Four pigtails: U.FL Female (Right Angle) To SMA Female Bulkhead (Straight) 8 Inch (20cm) 1.13mm Pigtail Cable

What do you think?
Didneywhorl

Re: Any experience with the 4x MIMO antenna and T-Mobile?

Post by Didneywhorl »

I think its just super new a the moment, which is why we've not seen many do it yet.
I've used my 4x4 MIMO from The Wireless Haven on Tmobile. Worked badass for me. I only use Tmo as a backup now, as I've moved to an area with Tmo congestion. If you wanted to get real crazy and mount it inside the RJ45 version, that one has U.fl antenna cables inside and would pop right onto the router.
ghfct
Has thanked: 0

Post by ghfct »

Thanks for the experience report. I'll give it a shot.

> If you wanted to get real crazy and mount it inside the RJ45 version, that one has U.fl antenna cables inside and would pop right onto the router.

This one? https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/wifi-a ... connector/

That would be nice for my messy ATT setup, which has a Raspberry Pi running OpenWRT and an external USB enclosure with the cell modem. I started with an all-in-one router but its connection became unstable after a few days, and it wouldn't reliably reboot from software. The Pi may not be more stable, but it reboots like clockwork at 4am as requested.

The T-Mobile Nokia router is a roughly 6" cylinder and won't fit, I don't think, in that RJ45 bigger enclosure, which is 3.8" deep.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

That's the one.

I wonder if the boards of the Tmo unit can all be laid out flat.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

ghfct wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:00 am I have ATT (which is on the same tower) and had great success with the WiFix yagi antennas. I have just gotten the new 5G Nokia T-Mobile home internet service, but just 2 bars of signal. It never pulls in the secondary channel. My goal is to attach a suitable external antenna. There is a facebook group (https://facebook.com/groups/360887451937077/) where people have posted photos of the disassembled router and how they attached the pigtails, but not much discussion of suitable antennas.

Does anyone have experience with the WiFix 4x mimo antenna (700-3800MHz Cellular 8dBi Directional 4×4 MIMO Antenna) an the new T-Mobile 5G Nokia router? I have opened it up and have found the u.fl connectors for its 4 internal antennas. My plan is to use the following parts from WiFix to improve signal:

One antenna: 700-3800MHz Cellular 8dBi Directional 4×4 MIMO Antenna
A pair of coax cables: LMR200 Low Loss Duplex Coax (Dual) Cables N Male Connector 10 Feet | 2 X N Male | 2 X SMA Male Right Angle
Four pigtails: U.FL Female (Right Angle) To SMA Female Bulkhead (Straight) 8 Inch (20cm) 1.13mm Pigtail Cable

What do you think?
Hello,

Checking in to see if you tried this or not? Been considering doing this my self. Never done 4x4 Mimo before. Been using 2x2 Mimo Parabolic type antennas in the past. Idea of loosing all that Db gain concerns me.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”