Need Help / Advice for Temporary Setup

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
crazysteve

Need Help / Advice for Temporary Setup

Post by crazysteve »

My mom is sick and I have to go out of state to stay with her for a while. She does not have internet, just her phone.

I need to bring my work with me, which is a bevy of PCs, that all need network access.

My first idea was to try to use my iPhone (TMobile) as a hotspot by changing the TTL setting on my main PC and sharing the PC's internet connection to the rest of the PCs but once I pass 10gb I'm throttled to 3G speeds. I've experimented just a little bit with my Mac and changing the TTL settings on it to 65 in terminal doesn't seem to be classifying data as regular phone "data" but still "hotspot" data. Not sure if this is a Mac or iPhone or "it doesn't work like this anymore" problem. If anyone knows more about how to do this, let me know.

We use TMobile as our primary provider at home which I must leave for my family while I'm gone. That line has grandfathered International Unlimited on it and is in a MOFI4500. I also have an Android phone and an iPhone SE 2016 at my disposal. My router will accept a hotspot from either of those devices.

I was thinking of using my personal phone SIM in the MOFI and bringing that with me but I don't know if the data is going to classify itself correctly ( the one in there now is showing all "data" instead of "hotspot" even though TTL was set to 64 ) and that also ties up my phone.

I was also thinking of tethering the Android and putting my SIM in there to see if the TTL setting on the Mac or PC would change anything.

And then I thought.... Shit.... Someone here has probably had to do something like this before and will hopefully stop me from wasting a lot of time testing shit out.

I just need something to get me through like 3 weeks. I'm open to something <$50 too, I just don't know what that is. I need a better idea.
gscheb

Re: Need Help / Advice for Temporary Setup

Post by gscheb »

Hello.
Can get visible for $20 per month for up to 3 months right now. Unlimited hotspot at 5 up and down speeds. But can also tether to a router with custom rules to by pass the 5 up and down. If can tolerate high ping.
Here is one post about using gl.inet routers. But currently doing this with a WE826-Q.

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2064&hilit
crazysteve

Post by crazysteve »

So it's looking like changing TTL on my Mac or PCs does nothing to reclassify "hotspot data" on both iPhone and Android (moto g4). Not sure how others got this to work or if this is no longer possible.

Placing my SIM in the MOFI and setting TTL to 65 seems to reclassify traffic to "data" and I can use TMobile Digits to use my phone through my PC. It's not optimal but it will work.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

crazysteve wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:27 am So it's looking like changing TTL on my Mac or PCs does nothing to reclassify "hotspot data" on both iPhone and Android (moto g4). Not sure how others got this to work or if this is no longer possible.

Placing my SIM in the MOFI and setting TTL to 65 seems to reclassify traffic to "data" and I can use TMobile Digits to use my phone through my PC. It's not optimal but it will work.
Make sure you change both ipv4 (TTL) AND ipv6 (HL) info on that all over the forum here already. Tmobile uses IPV6.

You could just get a tablet plan added to your account and use that SIM. Make sure to get 100% unlimited data, with some hotspot. Then modify ipv4/ipv6 TTL and you should be good to go. I think they might still be doing the free Samsung Tab-A LTE with each new tablet line.

If you have Verizon service there are options there. Visible being the easiest. US Mobile "Super LTE" is Verizon based if I recall correctly. I've not yet tried that one though.
crazysteve

Post by crazysteve »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:19 pm Make sure you change both ipv4 (TTL) AND ipv6 (HL) info on that all over the forum here already. Tmobile uses IPV6.
Thanks.

I've been searching for this information and I am confused.

I set TTL the registry on my PC for 65. I created another DefaultTTL entry in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters and set that to 65.

I've been searching for information on hop limits but.... I am having trouble finding where that setting can be added / adjusted in Win10.

I really would like to add a line, but, I'm little worried that adding an additional line to my plan will F up my current plan. I've been through that already and it was not fun.....
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

crazysteve wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:19 am Thanks.

I've been searching for this information and I am confused.

I set TTL the registry on my PC for 65. I created another DefaultTTL entry in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters and set that to 65.

I've been searching for information on hop limits but.... I am having trouble finding where that setting can be added / adjusted in Win10.

I really would like to add a line, but, I'm little worried that adding an additional line to my plan will F up my current plan. I've been through that already and it was not fun.....
Look this this post by BillA: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8& ... dows#p4345

Edited and quoted here:
BillA wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:13 pm ...

Much like other carriers in the US, Verizon uses the TTL method for detecting tethered traffic, so the easiest way is to change it in the router running either GoldenOrb or WiFix firmware. Unfortunately I haven't seen a way to change TTL in a NightHawk M1 router yet.
If using an external modem in a USB adapter Mini-PCIe/M.2 antenna housing tethered to a Windows PC, you can set the TTL on the PC quite easily via these CMD commands (you may need to play around with the value from 64 to 66 but 65 is what seems to work best):

netsh int ipv4 set global defaultcurhoplimit=65
netsh int ipv6 set global defaultcurhoplimit=65

crazysteve

Post by crazysteve »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:40 pm Look this this post by BillA: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8& ... dows#p4345

Edited and quoted here:
Thanks! I’ll mess around with this.
crazysteve

Post by crazysteve »

I tried all of those and didn't seem to make a difference.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

hmmm. Maybe tag BillA on his posts on the subject and see if he replies. He's really helpful.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”