Wifi Hotspot Manager on GoldenOrb not working

Topics related to OpenWRT, LEDE, GoldenOrb, Linux and other firmware
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
cahrens
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wifi Hotspot Manager on GoldenOrb not working

Post by cahrens »

I have a WE826-T2 router with the latest version of Rooter/GoldenOrb that I'm setting up for use in my RV. I want to be able to connect to the campground wifi and broadcast that internet over my local wifi. It seems like this should be simple using the Wifi Hotspot Manager (great instructions here: https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/hotspot.html).

I have my laptop connected to the router via wifi, I went through the instructions above to connect to my phone's hotspot as a test and it worked great... until I turned my phone hotspot off. Now my local wifi signal is gone so I cannot connect to the router admin. It seems like the router is trying to connect back to that phone hotspot, and meanwhile, it has taken down my local wifi. The wifi led comes on for a bit, then goes off. It does this repeatedly.

I'm hoping someone has some ideas on this. Perhaps I missed a step, or this modem does not support this feature? Any ideas?
Didneywhorl

Re: Wifi Hotspot Manager on GoldenOrb not working

Post by Didneywhorl »

The we826 only has a single wifi channel to use. It's using it to discover the network you set it to I think.

You'll have to login via ethernet and turn it off I'd guess.

I only like using wifi hotspot on these routers when I have multiple wifi networks available on the router itself.

Not sure if you can get the guest wifi setup to allow it.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

To clarify, though, tge hotspot manager WAS working, but after you dropped its source connection, it stopped allowing wifi accessability?
cahrens

Post by cahrens »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:27 am To clarify, though, tge hotspot manager WAS working, but after you dropped its source connection, it stopped allowing wifi accessability?
Yes it was working when connected to my phone hotspot. When turning off the phone hotspot, that's when the problem started.

On a related note I tried connecting to my house wifi and the connection worked, but my laptop didn't have internet. My guess is there is an IP conflict or something, but I didn't mess with it and just tried another source (my cell hotstpot).
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Yeah, you can run into IP conflicts sometimes that way. Mae sure you don't set your devices to a static IP when changing network devices around, and especially when troubleshooting.

you should be able to get in via ethernet still. Just change the hotspot settings to off, or another wifi network. That'd be my guess here.
cahrens

Post by cahrens »

I was able to get into the admin using ethernet and turn it off. That's a good workaround but will be very inconvenient when on the road.

I came across this package for OpenWRT called travelmate that seems to fix this problem. Has anyone used this with rooter? https://github.com/openwrt/packages/blo ... /README.md
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

cahrens wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:54 am I was able to get into the admin using ethernet and turn it off. That's a good workaround but will be very inconvenient when on the road.
Good deal. Yeah, you'll prob have to make sure to turn it off before disconnecting from the wifi source.
cahrens wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:54 am I came across this package for OpenWRT called travelmate that seems to fix this problem. Has anyone used this with rooter? https://github.com/openwrt/packages/blo ... /README.md
Nope, but I'll check it out sometime. Thanks!
cahrens

Post by cahrens »

I just installed travelmate and it seems to do the trick. I looks like it's a decent upgrade from the wifi hotspot manager too, better ui and more config options.

Return to “Firmware”