Is it possible to use a cell signal booster as a line amplifier for my Lte router

This a discussion place for anything related to wireless
Rrutl
Has thanked: 0

Is it possible to use a cell signal booster as a line amplifier for my Lte router

Post by Rrutl »

Ive searched for insight into this concept in various places with no concrete results. My immediate instinct is that it could be a recipe for disaster. Here's why Im asking this rather peculiar question. Firstly, there's great cell reception at the end of my driveway, it's roughly 1000' from my house and at a higher elevation ( in addition to being on the 'other' side of many trees ). in doing speed tests my LTE router ( we 826t / SW 7455 modem ) gets way better signal AND speeds 'up there' and even with dual yagi external antennas my home setup (while usually tolerable ) drops considerably by comparison. My inclination is to think that adding a cell signal booster to the primary antenna input on the router might create interference of distortion or even some circuit burnout on one or more devices ( router and/or booster ). Many boosters claim to adjust their output based on handshake information with the towers to avoid damage to carrier systems, I'm 'giving blood' by way of spend 'over the top' amounts of money to a third party data plan provider and yet due to my signal strength ( home setup ) my data speeds are not up to 'snuff'. As always I offer gratitude and TIA to any and all input regarding this subject, while I acknowledge trade offs inasmuch as I dearly love living where I do (Cherokee Ntl Forest / SE Tenn ) I.m constantly seeking to improve the quality of my digital life. Thanks again for a very useful and informative community of wireless enthusiasts.
Dr-BroadBand

Re: Is it possible to use a cell signal booster as a line amplifier for my Lte router

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

WHY 4G BOOSTERS ARE SO 3G

See Link https://youtu.be/5kHu6iE3ar0
Didneywhorl

Re: Is it possible to use a cell signal booster as a line amplifier for my Lte router

Post by Didneywhorl »

The antenna on the booster is all you need. The booster allows the use of crappy cables and long runs, all the while also boosting signal noise. They work great for voice, since noise on the digital level isnt a big deal for standard voice calls.

The data side can "Work" with a booster but you are choking your modem by doing this, and spending a LOT of money for something that can be done much better with direct antennas.

Simply place your cellular wideband antennas (2 or 4 depending on the modem) in the same spot as you would with your booster antennas, and get full capability (multiple MIMO and all supported bands dynamically) directly to your modem.

You may also burn up your modem placing a boosted signal to it. Boosters also tend to use 75Ohm antenna systems, and cellular modems use 50Ohm. It's not wise to use the actual antenna and cabling from a booster on an cellular modem.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

If you possibly have power at the end of your driveway I would mount the modem and device in an enclosure at the end of the drive. Then a wireless point-to-point setup to get back to your main router at the house. Best if you could stay ethernet/wired but I don't think you would lose much if any with a PTP setup over a 1000' distance.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Heck a PtP prob wouldn't lose anything even further than that, with a decent system. I love those things, I just wish I had more use case for them in my situation. :) Fun to play with.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:02 pm Heck a PtP prob wouldn't lose anything even further than that, with a decent system. I love those things, I just wish I had more use case for them in my situation. :) Fun to play with.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I've spent sooooo much time playing/building PTP and multipoint setups back in the day. Hell I actually gutted an old terabeam wipop box/enclosure and put my first setup in it at the top of my tower. It had a real nice mounted DC/DC converter installed in the box that worked out real nice. My favorite was the Terabeam (Proxim) Etherant III LR which was a 12"x12" long range flat panel with a 1000mw amplifier built into the antenna. Two of those suckers pointed at each other with line of site would reach as far as like 30 miles! I could pick up my neighbors open "linksys" router setting on his office desk from about 5 miles away. Used that for internet for several years. Back then routers came 'open' with encryption disabled by default and the average user did not understand wifi enough so about half of peoples routers were not encrypted. Had access to internet about anywhere you went. That old stuff still comes in handy with the POE equipment and enclosures etc. etc.

Return to “OPEN | UNCLASSIFIED”