WE826-T2 - Installing Modem Manager

How To Tutorials related to Routers and Firmware
Forum rules
This forum is for tutorials only--not for help or assistance.
JimHelms
Site Admin

WE826-T2 - Installing Modem Manager

Post by JimHelms »

Some may prefer running an OpenWRT build with Modem Manager as opposed to a WiFiX/GoldenOrb build.

A number of WE826-T2 users are now running the Modem Manager firmware build which seem to cure these issues.

DISCLOSURE: As will all tutorials, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

This tutorial will demonstrate how to install and configure the Modem Manager build for the WE826-T. There is also a Modem Manager build for the WG3526 that may be downloaded from HERE.

VERY IMPORTANT: Modem Manager is NOT compatible with MBIM composition. Prior to installing Modem Manager, the modem MUST be placed in QMI mode.

Before we get started, if a SIM Card in installed in the router, power off the router and remove the SIM Card.

Note: We will often refer to HARD BOOTING a router. This simply means to power down (unplug power) the router, wait 5 seconds, and power up (plug in power to) the router.

QMI Composition

If this is a new build with a NEW OEM Sierra Wireless MC7455 or EM7564, these modems come preset in QMI composition. These builders can skip this section.

There are two methods for placing the modems list above in QMI composition. This tutorial assumes you are currently running a WiFiX | GoldenOrb build that has access to the AT-COMMAND terminal.

Go to MODEM > MISCELLANEOUS > AT-COMMAND TERMINAL.

Method One (Preferred so that old configurations are deleted): Restore the MC7455 | EM7564 modem to OEM:

Code: Select all

AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!RMARESET=1
After a response that the files were deleted/restored:

AT!RESET
Method Two: Configure the modem for QMI composition:

MC7455:

AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!USBCOMP=1,1,10d
AT!RESET
EM7565:

AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!USBCOMP=1,3,10d
AT!RESET
Done!

OpenWRT MODEM MANAGER BUILD FOR WE826-T2

Important: This process must be done using an Ethernet cable from the LAN port to a PC. WiFi CANNOT be used to upgrade the firmware, since the WiFi Interface in the Modem Manager build is disabled by default. Therefore, there is no way to access the router via WiFi until it has been enabled.

Download the WE826-MM-3-16-19 build and save it to your desktop.

WE826-MM-3-16-19.bin

If this is a new WE826-T2, follow this TUTORIAL for installation, only using the Modem Manager build now saved on your desktop.

If the WE826-T2 is currently running WiFiX | GoldenOrb: Go to SYSTEM > BACKUP > FLASH FIRMWARE > Browse and Select the WE826-MM-3-16-19 build on your desktop. MAKE SURE the Keep Settings box is UNCHECKED, and FLASH IMAGE:

Install Modem Manager.png

Follow through with the flashing prompts. It will take several minutes for the flashing process to complete.

Once completed, log into the router at 192.168.1.1

You will notice that the login IP is now a https as opposed to http on the other OpenWRT builds. The build has a self signed https certificate which may show up as an insecure connection and an exception must be added. This process may vary according to web browser.

On Firefox Mozilla, you can add the Exception by selecting the ADVANCED button > ADD EXCEPTION and CONFIRM SECURITY EXCEPTION:

https Add Certificate.png

Thereafter, the Login Screen should appear. If a Password from a previous build was saved in web browser, the RESET button should be used to clear the old password (if any).

It any issue is experienced with the login, clear the web browser cache. This can generally be accomplished by hold down the Ctrl and F5 keys at the same time.

Clear Cache and Reset.png

SETTING THE LOGIN USER PASSWORD

Once logged into the router, click on the button to GO TO PASSWORD CONFIGURATION to change your login password:

Set Password 1.png

After entering the new login password, click the SAVE button:

Set Password 2.png

SETTING THE TIME ZONE

Go to SYSTEM > SYSTEM and Select your proper TIME ZONE, and SYNC with your browser, the SAVE & APPLY.

Setting Time Zone.png

CONFIGURING THE WIFI IF USED

The WiFi is disabled by default. If WiFi is required, go to NETWORK > WIRELESS > EDIT :

WiFi 1.png

Select the Wireless Security > Encryption type from the drop down menu, and enter your password and SAVE.

WiFi 2.png

Next, under General Setup, change the name of the WiFi ESSID (name) from OpenWrt to your preferred WiFi name (or leave as it).

Select the ENABLE button to enable the WiFi interface. The, SAVE & APPLY

WiFi 3.png

CONFIGURING THE INTERFACE FOR MODEM MANAGER

The Interface must now be configured for Modem Manager to communicate with the modem.

There are two methods for configuring an interface. The method demonstrated he is simply configuring the existing WAN Interface for modem manager. This will work for most users.

The exception is when a WAN and a Modem will be used at the same time. In that case, a new interface will need to be added. Adding a new interface will demonstrated in a separate post to follow.

Go to NETWORK > INTERFACES > WAN > EDIT

Edit WAN 1.png

In the GENERAL SETUP for click on the Drop Down menu for the PROTOCOL and select Modem Manager (mmi):

Edit WAN 2.png

Click on the SWITCH PROTOCOL button:

Edit WAN 3.png

Enter the APN for the Carrier of the SIM Card plan you will be using.

Set the AUTHENTICATION TYPE to NONE.

SAVE & APPLY.

Edit WAN 4.png

Go to Network->Firewall and check the boxes for Software flow offloading and Hardware flow offloading. This will help reduce the CPU load and increases throughput of the router.

Flow Offloading.png

OPTIONAL:

Some users of cell phone SIM Card plans with limited hotspot data allowance may wish to add Custom TTL Rules.

Go to NETWORK > FIREWALL > CUSTOM RULES and copy and paste the following rules:

#startTTL

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65

#endTTL
Then, RESTART FIREWALL.

Custom TTL Rules.png

Note that these rules may be disabled by commenting them out using the # before each of the rules.

POWER DOWN THE ROUTER

It is now time to power off the router, enter an active SIM Card, and power back up the router.

Once back online, and unless one of us left something out, the router should connect to the internet within a minute or two.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
swwifty

Re: WE826-T2 - Installing Modem Manager

Post by swwifty »

wow, very nice tutorial and option for those with this setup!

Thanks for sharing Jim.
Jim S.
Has thanked: 0

Post by Jim S. »

Does this work with an original 826, or just the version 2?

Also, it sounds like this can support multiple modems? Can I plug my DSL modem into one of the ethernet ports and configure the software to use it if and only if the cell connection is down?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Jim S. wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:02 am Does this work with an original 826, or just the version 2?

Also, it sounds like this can support multiple modems? Can I plug my DSL modem into one of the ethernet ports and configure the software to use it if and only if the cell connection is down?
It should work on any WE826 without issue.

After it is configured per the instructions above, you would need to add an additional interface for the WAN port on the router--which would connect to your DSL modem.

You would then need to configure failover for both interfaces.
Mbezzlr
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mbezzlr »

Im running this ModemManager build in the WE826-T2 with the EM7565 modem. All is working well, but I noticed that there is not a check box to enable/disable band 66 like there is for the other bans. Can that be added? Who maintains this build and where can I reach that individual?
Thanks
damirg1966

Post by damirg1966 »

Hi

I installed MM version but realized I need regular so tried flashing back with "openwrt-we826-GO2019-03-06-upgrade"
Now router doesn't respond, it loads login page but it won't let me log in, user: root and no password or with "admin" password it just reloads the login page.

Seems like flashing didn't complete or corrupted.
Tried Recovery mode but nothing happens, menu never shows up.

Are there any other passwords that are default?
Can I flash the router via SSH or other method?

Thanks for your help!
yzrmbsg

Post by yzrmbsg »

damirg1966 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:53 pm Hi

I installed MM version but realized I need regular so tried flashing back with "openwrt-we826-GO2019-03-06-upgrade"
Now router doesn't respond, it loads login page but it won't let me log in, user: root and no password or with "admin" password it just reloads the login page.

Seems like flashing didn't complete or corrupted.
Tried Recovery mode but nothing happens, menu never shows up.

Are there any other passwords that are default?
Can I flash the router via SSH or other method?

Thanks for your help!
Try clearing your browser cache and then log in. I had to do the same when I went from stock openwrt to goldenorb firmware.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Mbezzlr wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:28 am Im running this ModemManager build in the WE826-T2 with the EM7565 modem. All is working well, but I noticed that there is not a check box to enable/disable band 66 like there is for the other bans. Can that be added? Who maintains this build and where can I reach that individual?
Thanks

Bands can only be enabled IF the modem hardware supports it. Even if you somehow manage to force enable a band which is not on the modem, it will simply not work or perhaps crash. As far as support for the MM version, you would probably want to ask JimHelms for more info.
CrisBarcco

Post by CrisBarcco »

If I follow these steps on my mac, what steps should I do differently? Thank you in advance!

Is there any way to bypass the Tmobile throttle using the current WE826-T2 "Intellligent Router" firmware. I will appreciate any advice
Tank you
BillA

Post by BillA »

CrisBarcco wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:01 am If I follow these steps on my mac, what steps should I do differently? Thank you in advance!

Is there any way to bypass the Tmobile throttle using the current WE826-T2 "Intellligent Router" firmware. I will appreciate any advice
Tank you

As long as you're on an unlimited phone plan, set the TTL to 65 (if that doesn't work, try 64), however recently they started using other blocking methods too.
CrisBarcco

Post by CrisBarcco »

Thank you BillA!!
JB1979

Post by JB1979 »

When I try this I get an incorrect model error?

Anybody know a work around or is there a different version of firmware?

It's a WE826-T2.

Thanks!!
JB1979

Post by JB1979 »

Well I got it but I don't have the Modem Manager mmi option in the drop down menu.
Is there a different setting I should choose?
wisenet

Post by wisenet »

So I have installed the firmware and I am attempting to gain remote access to the unit through a DDNS. I am having some issues getting this to work correctly. I have the DDNS setup and connected but I cant get the ports open to gain access to the router. Any Ideas?
Tcyeam

Post by Tcyeam »

Hi I had installed the modemmanager firmware of we826. I tried to install wireguard vpn software but it show kernel incompatible. Do you all have any idea to install it?

Return to “Tutorials”