Optimal setup for RV

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
mcol2512
Has thanked: 0

Optimal setup for RV

Post by mcol2512 »

I've been poking around here over the past few days trying to get a feel for what the best strategy is for getting as reliable of a connection as possible while living/working/travelling fulltime in an RV and would like some suggestions. Initially, I was going to purchase a bundle from MobileMustHave using the Pepwave Transit Duo, but then I had a look at the intsyconnect which stressed the importance of co-locating your modems with your antennas to minimize signal loss in the cables. Can anybody confirm/deny how important this is? The downside of the intsy is that there doesn’t seems to be a capability to do channel bonding (OpenMPTCProuter/Speedify) for multiple carriers. If I want to have my antennas raised above my RV on a mast to get the best signal, utilize multiple carriers, and bond them together, then what equipment would I need to set this up? I am starting from scratch and have no equipment or carrier plans setup, so not needing to incorporate anything existing into the setup and can put up to $2000 into the setup if it will make a meaningful difference. Or let me know if I am getting carried away here and a more simple setup would actually be more effective. I am no network engineer, but have a reasonably good technical background and am not afraid of tinkering/learning if it will make a difference.

Also, I saw a separate post (5 year RV nomad looking for better mobile solutions.) which utilized Speedify, but looks like they are using off the shelf Nighthawk/Novatel) cellular routers and not using any external antennas, so I tended to think this could be improved upon.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
BDF1234

Re: Optimal setup for RV

Post by BDF1234 »

If it were me, I would start with something simple, and see how it works. If it is good enough for your needs then you're good. If not, you build from there and you'll have the benefit of that experience to know which direction to go before dropping $2k on a setup.

Are you looking for off the shelf, or build your own modem/router combo?
R1250GSA

Post by R1250GSA »

Mobile RV users clearly have an ever changing set of variables to contend with.
Moving down the road is different from being tucked in at an RV park and different from boon-docking in the middle of nowhere.
You have not described what you have done to date and what issues you want to overcome.
You should try to set some requirements for your cellular needs.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ puts out some good videos that should help you frame out your goals.
Complicated Van
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Complicated Van »

Hey OP,

I am right about where you are. I am looking to purchase a Max Transit Cat-18 in the next day or so. The worst thing I've run up against is the shady wild west of data sims. Only T-Mobile and Visible seem to offer sims for use in routers at the moment. ATT and Verizon both only allow for data sims to be used in their proprietary hotspot devices.

So I just bought the T-Mobile $50 100gb plan and the sim should arrive tomorrow. I need to figure out a way to get a Verizon sim that will work in my router. The ebay route scares me, but I got off the phone with a Verizon guy today who said I should be good buying from someone on ebay (seemed cool as I'm sure the company doesn't want him saying that).

I am trying to optimize for doing live voice over jobs while boondocking, which is why I am going big too start.

To the second poster, I think OP probably has this similar concern. I am building out my van to be optimized for what I need it for and so starting small with hotspot devices and T9 antenna, and then finding that it didn't work great for me, would mean that I'd have to take apart me walls and run wire and drill a hole in my roof AFTER all the finished work on my home was done. For this reason it seems better to me to go big to start. Could be wrong!

If anyone seeing this has inside info on a reliable ebay Verizon reseller, I would greatly appreciate it. Peplink just told me to consult my Peplink Provider, which means Mobile Must Have, which means ATT for $349 upfront and $160 a month thereafter. I don't have need for 500gb and don't want to spend that much and want Verizon.

I'm also dealing with an issue where my MaxxAir fan is 12" from the best spot left on my roof to install my Parsec antenna. RV Mobile Internet guy is saying shouldn't be a problem. Mobile Must Have guy is saying could be a problem when it is turned on and the electricity for MaxxAir is creating magnetic field that could cause interference. Trying to get the router and antenna and test it out before full installation and checking with MMH to see if they'll let me return it after testing if it doesn't work well.

Thanks for playing!

-b
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

Here is a link on some Verizon tablet plan.
If you need more help, I will keep a eye out.

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8& ... 378#p15378

Return to “General and Unclassified”