Mint Mobile Throttling

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
Jon_T

Mint Mobile Throttling

Post by Jon_T »

Welp, I made the mistake of picking up a Mint Mobile plan to get access to the T-Mobile network. It worked great until I realized that their "Unlimited" plan is actually only 35 GB, then it throttles you down to 120 kpbs. This isn't listed anywhere except on the terms and conditions page. At least Verizon has a star and lists it on the plan page itself.

Something interesting I noticed, is that after they begin throttling the connection, speedtest.net will still return full speed results including their video testing function. Even after testing multiple times in a row, it's still showing 60 Mbps down. If I test with a different testing service, like testmy.net, it shows the throttled speed of 120 kpbs.

I would be interested to know how they are doing this, and if there is a way to take advantage of that type of traffic that is being allowed through.
toddw

Re: Mint Mobile Throttling

Post by toddw »

What router are you using. What settings do you have applied.
Jon_T

Post by Jon_T »

I have a WG3526 with an EM12-G. I originally set up the router for use with Visible, the only thing I changed for Mint was changing the APN name to Wholesale. It worked great while the usage was under 35 GB.

The behavior I described in the original post occurs while the SIM is in the router or in an Iphone SE.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I'm curious if they use a different APN for video or hotspot versus device data. have you messed with TTLs and APNs?

Do you have a phone using MINT? Might use a phone to see how it works maybe? Im no expert there.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”