Questions Regarding Carrier Aggregation - 4x4 MIMO

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
lukelil

Questions Regarding Carrier Aggregation - 4x4 MIMO

Post by lukelil »

How does one check if a modem is utilizing its ability to aggregate?
My modem is the Fibocom 860 GL which is capable of 4x4 mimo.
The bands available to be in my area under Verizon Wireless are these: Band 66(Superset of band 4) and Band 13.
My modem will jump from band to band often.
How can I tell if
A) The modem is already utilizing its ability.
B) If my antenna supports aggregation (Aware that not all towers do)

Ideally what I would like to happen is this:
Use two antennas such as YAGI’s for the default band(66). This is the fastest band and seems to have good ping.
Use two antennas likely also YAGI for the neighbor band(13).

Any feedback is appreciated!
Rrutl
Has thanked: 0

Re: Questions Regarding Carrier Aggregation - 4x4 MIMO

Post by Rrutl »

Hello Lukelil I have been looking for some information on different CAT 16 modems and it just seems kinda daunting sometimes. I'm on a Verizon tower like yourself and I can receive bands 2 4 5 13. My best hope for better bandwidth is finding a modem with right aggregation capabilities. Some cat 16 modems can do intra band aggregation, have you noticed this on your Fibocom modem ? What are some typical combinations of aggregation that you have seen on it ? I especially like the pricing of the Fibocom module. ny insight you can give would be helpful. Thanks .
Didneywhorl

Re: Questions Regarding Carrier Aggregation - 4x4 MIMO

Post by Didneywhorl »

This depends on the modem, and its programmed AT commands available. I am not familiar with FiboCOM and they don't seem to document too well, but I do know some of the Quectel stuff. With Quectel you can send the command AT+QCAINFO and this will return the bands that the modem has done CA on during the current session. You can also send AT+QENG="neighbourcell" and it will return all the bands it can CA with, available on the tower.
Hopefully FiboCOM has some AT commands that can do the same thing.

Return to “General and Unclassified”