Can someone explain how local resellers work?

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
billyjacko
Been thanked: 0

Can someone explain how local resellers work?

Post by billyjacko »

I learned of Wireless Joint after one of my ATT tablet plans shut down and I quickly had to find a solution. Now that I understand what goldenorb is and how to adjust APN and TTL, I feel like a rural internet god talking to my neighbors. I'm still working through the learning and troubleshooting stages, but this forum is fantastic.

Anyways, I have a friend who is currently buying a T-Mobile plan through a reseller for $100/month. I haven't got to see all of here equipment yet, but she said they charged like $600 for install +equipment and she got a Rut240 (cat4 modem) with it. My question is, is what this business is doing legal? If so, do they have a special contract with T-mobile? I always assumed using these data plans this way went against TOS, so it seems like risky business to buy a butt load of them and resell them this way.
Viper67857

Re: Can someone explain how local resellers work?

Post by Viper67857 »

Unless they're changing imei's then there's likely nothing illegal going on. Definitely violating TOS and the huge markups might be borderline price-gouging, but there's nothing to be done about it other than attempting to educate others to avoid them.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I keep seeing these teltonika routers pop up. I need to get a few to play with, they look old school and dated though.
Osensnolf
Has thanked: 0

Post by Osensnolf »

Viper67857 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:28 am the huge markups might be borderline price-gouging
How is it price gouging when someone is offering a service that I really want and I have the money and I am 100% OK with paying for it?

I've been leasing multiple lines from different people for the past year. On the service it feels shady only because it's new and not something most people ever have to do. But it's a good service. You help pay the other guys phone bill and he gets a little extra money to keep. In return, you get Internet that you didn't have before.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Osensnolf wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:34 am How is it price gouging when someone is offering a service that I really want and I have the money and I am 100% OK with paying for it?

I've been leasing multiple lines from different people for the past year. On the service it feels shady only because it's new and not something most people ever have to do. But it's a good service. You help pay the other guys phone bill and he gets a little extra money to keep. In return, you get Internet that you didn't have before.
I think in this case it is a gray area for the gouge.
I think the fact that some are literally reselling a consumer available service from ATT that most everyone has access to for many times more than its publicly available price is what rubs some raw, when they find out they could've done so for as long as they had the service. I agree with you though, if you are willing to pay, then that's totally your own call. Especially if you understand what you're paying for and it's value to you.
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

I'm kind of torn and confused about resellers. I have an account with a reseller. I pay $79 per month for 400 GB on AT&T. I think they're a small business with a brick and mortar computer store. They're now selling at $89 but I think I'm still getting it at $79. Before I signed up I asked and was assured that these are "legit hotspot plans, not tablet or phone plans". The email was well written and friendly so I took them at their word but I don't really know what they're selling.

Here's my situation. I'm well aware of the $20 iPad plan but I want to use my Pepwave router in my RV with an external antenna. I don't really want to do the thing we're not allowed to talk about here (and can't do on a Pepwave anyway) so what options do I really have? Cricket's $90 for 100 GB data only is way too much money for not enough data. T-Mobile's new $50 for 100 GB is getting closer but still expensive. Reports suggest that I could use a postpaid phone plan in the router without too much concern of being shut down. I don't have any other business with AT&T so one line of Unlimited Elite costs about $90 with taxes. That's more than I'm paying now. It seems easier to just pay someone else with PayPal. No commitment and pretty much one click and a courtesy email to cancel. If the reseller is telling me the truth then what I have now is more legit because I'm not putting a phone plan in a router.

I'm still curious as to what they're really selling. I know a lot of people here scoff at the idea that they have real contracts with carriers. I'm not with Bix Wireless but I was watching their Facebook group over New Year when many of their customers lost service. I saw one post from Bix saying something like "unlike other resellers, we have contracts with the carriers". Another post said something about a "27 page contact written by overpaid AT&T lawyers". They either have a real contract with AT&T or they're blatantly lying. Call me naive but their blog sounds reasonably honest to me but damned if I know.

On their website they say "Finally, T Mobile has released their unlimited plan!". The implication on Facebook seems to be that happened in the last couple of weeks but did T-Mobile really announce anything like that in the last few weeks?

I was watching Bix because the plan I have also stopped on Jan 1st. I thought it was all over but after about ten days they sent a new SIM and now it's working again. I don't have huge confidence in it but if it keeps working I'm a relatively happy camper. I just wish there were better options. I don't mind paying retail prices at a reasonable markup as a consumer if that's the situation but I wish I understood better what's really going on behind the scenes.
LTEGreen
Been thanked: 0

Post by LTEGreen »

Hi Tetranz, would it be alright with you to share which reseller you are using? I was one of Bix's AT&T customers whose internet went out on NY and then got restored and throttled 10 days later.

My new plan is to use my partner's military status to get a discounted Unlimited Elite 100gb plan from AT&T ($65) plus their $20 unlimited iPad plan with no hotspot, but I'm not tech savvy and I'm not entirely sure my setup will work. I really appreciated the convenience of just using a reseller and a simple MOFI, and not worry about rationing or load-balancing my precious 100-"unlimited" gb of data. On the other hand, it does seem like the rug will be pulled out at any moment when using a reseller.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

tetranz wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:50 pm ...

Here's my situation. I'm well aware of the $20 iPad plan but I want to use my Pepwave router in my RV with an external antenna. I don't really want to do the thing we're not allowed to talk about here (and can't do on a Pepwave anyway) so what options do I really have?
Currently the post paid ipad plan doesnt require imei trickery. none.
tetranz wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:50 pm Cricket's $90 for 100 GB data only is way too much money for not enough data. T-Mobile's new $50 for 100 GB is getting closer but still expensive. Reports suggest that I could use a postpaid phone plan in the router without too much concern of being shut down. I don't have any other business with AT&T so one line of Unlimited Elite costs about $90 with taxes. That's more than I'm paying now. It seems easier to just pay someone else with PayPal. No commitment and pretty much one click and a courtesy email to cancel. If the reseller is telling me the truth then what I have now is more legit because I'm not putting a phone plan in a router.

I'm still curious as to what they're really selling. I know a lot of people here scoff at the idea that they have real contracts with carriers. I'm not with Bix Wireless but I was watching their Facebook group over New Year when many of their customers lost service. I saw one post from Bix saying something like "unlike other resellers, we have contracts with the carriers". Another post said something about a "27 page contact written by overpaid AT&T lawyers". They either have a real contract with AT&T or they're blatantly lying. Call me naive but their blog sounds reasonably honest to me but damned if I know.

On their website they say "Finally, T Mobile has released their unlimited plan!". The implication on Facebook seems to be that happened in the last couple of weeks but did T-Mobile really announce anything like that in the last few weeks?

I was watching Bix because the plan I have also stopped on Jan 1st. I thought it was all over but after about ten days they sent a new SIM and now it's working again. I don't have huge confidence in it but if it keeps working I'm a relatively happy camper. I just wish there were better options. I don't mind paying retail prices at a reasonable markup as a consumer if that's the situation but I wish I understood better what's really going on behind the scenes.
Not to answer any of that directly. But as far as I know, Tmobile voice plans with unlimited data, and ATT business Elite plans with unlimited data do not require IMEI trickery either.

There are legit resellers out there, but honestly the ones with websites that advertise they are legit ATT, and other cerrier, plan resellers, are not legit ATT plan resellers. Every legit reseller I've spoken with are local services that only work in their community. I think it's part of the deal, they can't advertise nationwide.

I could be wrong, but that's my 2 cents.
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:26 pm Currently the post paid ipad plan doesnt require imei trickery. none.
Why do people do it if it's not necessary?
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

Osensnolf wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:34 am How is it price gouging when someone is offering a service that I really want and I have the money and I am 100% OK with paying for it?

Leasing lines from individuals that happen to have grandfathered true unlimited plans? Probably at a somewhat reasonable price? Those aren't what I would consider resellers... Nomad, unlimitedville, and the like are the gougers... $150-$200/mo to resell you some 8mbps Cricket plans that you can get yourself for 1/5th of that? And force you to use their overpriced antique mofi hardware? Nah, I will tell anyone that inquires about resellers to stay the hell away from those guys...
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

tetranz wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:06 pm Why do people do it if it's not necessary?
Some don't know it isn't necessary. Others likely do it as a precaution in case it ever becomes necessary.
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

Viper67857 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:51 pm Leasing lines from individuals that happen to have grandfathered true unlimited plans? Probably at a somewhat reasonable price? Those aren't what I would consider resellers... Nomad, unlimitedville, and the like are the gougers... $150-$200/mo to resell you some 8mbps Cricket plans that you can get yourself for 1/5th of that? And force you to use their overpriced antique mofi hardware? Nah, I will tell anyone that inquires about resellers to stay the hell away from those guys...
That doesn't sound like what I have. The product I have is advertised as 400 GB AT&T for $79. It's not limited to 8 Mbps. I usually get about 25 to 40. I use my own router but the reseller needed to know my IMEI and was able to activate my own blank SIM when the one they sent me was delayed in the mail. They told me me the two main things to avoid getting tagged for abuse was don't go over 400 GB and don't put it in a different device. They said to let them know if I get a new router and they'll update it with the new IMEI. What sort of plan could that be?
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

LTEGreen wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:24 pm Hi Tetranz, would it be alright with you to share which reseller you are using?
Somehow it doesn't feel right for me to promote them here with a direct link. I thought this forum had private messages but I can't see how it works.

Send me an email at my handle here @gmail.com
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

tetranz wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:59 pm That doesn't sound like what I have. The product I have is advertised as 400 GB AT&T for $79. It's not limited to 8 Mbps. I usually get about 25 to 40. I use my own router but the reseller needed to know my IMEI and was able to activate my own blank SIM when the one they sent me was delayed in the mail. They told me me the two main things to avoid getting tagged for abuse was don't go over 400 GB and don't put it in a different device. They said to let them know if I get a new router and they'll update it with the new IMEI. What sort of plan could that be?
That sounds like a legit reseller.
DogTho

Post by DogTho »

Look up MVNO, Mobile Virtual Network Operators. That's how it works. I subscribe to one and realize I am secondary to regular TMob subscriber, but so far using about 100GB/mo that costs me $100/mo. it's working for me. I link to a TMob tower about 7 miles away and with a single LPDA cheap $40 antenna I'm getting 30-50Mbps down. Where you are will depend on what you can get.

I could probably fark around and get something cheaper, but so far the service has been fine. I've had to reset the MoFi maybe 3 times since last august and that just means unplugging it and plugging it back in, takes about 3 minutes.
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

DogTho wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:33 pm Look up MVNO, Mobile Virtual Network Operators. That's how it works.
As far as I know, most of the resellers are not MVNOs. I think real MVNOs like Cricket, Mint, Page Plus etc are registered with and regulated by the FCC. Most of the resellers are just small businesses somehow reselling plans.
DogTho

Post by DogTho »

I talked with an IT guy the other day, he says their company buys 'data' from Verizon, AT&T and TMob. I have no clue how they do it, but I suppose if you offer them enough money and have the infrastructure, they will sell a data phone number to you. I suppose if one is in the industry, there are means to do this. I'm just guessing here as I have no straight info on it. It's hard to tell if people are telling the truth about how or what they are doing. I have a 'TMob' plan through a reseller, he shows himself on his website as an LLC. I suppose he is. Maybe that's all it takes. But how to approach the carriers, don't know. It also seems that a lot of information that is available here is 'anecdotal'. It would be nice if there were so me straight 'poop' on this issue. I found this https://yatebts.com/solutions_and_techn ... full-mvno/ but it's like reading Greek to me.
DogTho

Post by DogTho »

I just went back and reread the whole thread. It does concern my issues. I have a 'non contract' deal with a local guy, actually his land abuts mine. He's been selling plans for a while, maybe 2018 or so. He says he only sells locally. There's next to no availability of internet here. Hughesnet works, but we all know how that works, if nothing else.... This guy sells plans on TMob and I think AT&T. I bough a 150GB plan for $100/mo. He's gone to $150 now but I remain at $100. I'm actually not sure if I couldn't get a regular TMob or AT&T plan somehow, not a phone but data plan. I have access to a tower 7 miles LOS but through about 200yds of local oaks, after that it's a straight shot.

The guy suggested I use B71 because rurally it works better. B71 worked OK, 1-10Mbps with 87ms latency, but better than HN.In the meantime I've discovered the tower is not where the guy told me, it's one I referenced above. And I get Bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, 14, 66 and 71. I've discovered that B4 (or 66 same) is actually 20MHz wide and although the signal is not as good ad 71, I get downloads of 20-50. Not it's getting a lot better than HN.

I guess what I'm wondering is how do I buy a data plan from AT&T or TMob directly for my MoFi sim7? Or perhaps this guy is selling me something I cannot get directly? I'll give AT&T and TMob a call and see what they say.

I was looking at those other things like Unlimitedville, (very expensive) ViperBroadband and there are a few others, but I really wonder about them. Plus is this plan I have through my local guy with TMob a trick in the MoFi with the TTL thing?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

DogTho wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:01 am I just went back and reread the whole thread. It does concern my issues. I have a 'non contract' deal with a local guy, actually his land abuts mine. He's been selling plans for a while, maybe 2018 or so. He says he only sells locally. There's next to no availability of internet here. Hughesnet works, but we all know how that works, if nothing else.... This guy sells plans on TMob and I think AT&T. I bough a 150GB plan for $100/mo. He's gone to $150 now but I remain at $100. I'm actually not sure if I couldn't get a regular TMob or AT&T plan somehow, not a phone but data plan. I have access to a tower 7 miles LOS but through about 200yds of local oaks, after that it's a straight shot.

The guy suggested I use B71 because rurally it works better. B71 worked OK, 1-10Mbps with 87ms latency, but better than HN.In the meantime I've discovered the tower is not where the guy told me, it's one I referenced above. And I get Bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, 14, 66 and 71. I've discovered that B4 (or 66 same) is actually 20MHz wide and although the signal is not as good ad 71, I get downloads of 20-50. Not it's getting a lot better than HN.

I guess what I'm wondering is how do I buy a data plan from AT&T or TMob directly for my MoFi sim7? Or perhaps this guy is selling me something I cannot get directly? I'll give AT&T and TMob a call and see what they say.

I was looking at those other things like Unlimitedville, (very expensive) ViperBroadband and there are a few others, but I really wonder about them. Plus is this plan I have through my local guy with TMob a trick in the MoFi with the TTL thing?

Easy way to know if he is selling you a tablet plan. Check the IMEI of your routers modem against the IMEI checkers online: https://www.imei.info/

If it comes back as a tablet or ipad, then he is just selling you a $35 a month ipad plan from ATT. If it comes back as the modem that is in the router (SIM7 Quectel EC25AF, SIM4 Sierra Wireless MC7455), then he is likely either selling you a legit reseller plan, or he is reselling his business account SIMs.

My guess at least.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”