GL-X750 Spitz Upgraded to EP06-A w/Visible SIM Issue forwarding

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
pctech101
Been thanked: 0

GL-X750 Spitz Upgraded to EP06-A w/Visible SIM Issue forwarding

Post by pctech101 »

I just bought an EP06A from Wireless Joint and installed in my GL-X750 router.
I got it to register after using USB2 as the internet connection. I can get 20/20Mb.
The whole reason for my purchase is I have a NVR I wanted access to when away.
I have configured the port forwards for the NVR but when I attempt to connect remotely the ports time out.
Internally I am can connect to the modems external IP on the designated ports but attempting using another source of internet I can not connect to the external ports.
Not sure if Visible blocks ports.
Any ideas on how to proceed?
lahma
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: GL-X750 Spitz Upgraded to EP06-A w/Visible SIM Issue forwarding

Post by lahma »

Just like most cellular providers, Visible blocks all incoming traffic unless communication was first established via an outgoing connection. Long story short, port forwarding is not going to work. You do have at least a couple of options though.

Probably the easiest option is using IP cameras or an NVR that supports "P2P". The way this works is that your camera/NVR and your remote viewing device both contact a server which helps negotiate the connection between the 2 devices. This bypasses most of the problems related to port forwarding, double NAT, firewalls, etc.

A second option, which is much more difficult to setup, and most likely isn't going to work well (although I could be wrong as I don't know a lot about that hardware) with the GL-X750 is to setup a VPN client on your cellular router. By using a VPN provider that supports port forwarding (for example, I personally use AirVPN), you can access your devices remotely by connecting the the VPN provider's public IP. The VPN provider will typically have a webpage that will allow you to reserve a specific external port (or range of ports) along with corresponding internal port values. For example, you might be able to reserve external port 22333 which redirects to the internal port 554 (which your NVR would be assigned to). You could then access the camera from the outside using the VPN provider's public IP (for whatever server you are connected to) such as 100.100.100.100:554. With all that being said, the setup for this type of thing can be very tricky on the router side and typically requires knowledge of iptables/linux routing and such. Definitely not for the faint of heart. I personally use this method on Asus routers running merlin firmware so that I can access my client's networks (which are running on cellular) remotely in order to do troubleshooting and stuff but it can be a real pain in the ass at times.

Anyways, I hope that was at least a little bit helpful. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Return to “General and Unclassified”