add lte router to existing verizon plan, or something else

Topics Related to Cell Towers, Frequencies and Bands
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
bvwelch

add lte router to existing verizon plan, or something else

Post by bvwelch »

Greetings,

I want an lte router instead of using my iphone as a hotspot. i have an existing verizon plan, and i presumed i could simply add the new lte router to my existing plan, (one from The Wireless Haven instead of a jetpack).

But after reading here, I am wondering if I will have trouble with this approach.

Besides verizon, at&t is available in the area but i have no existing phones or plans.

suggestions welcome.
Didneywhorl

Re: add lte router to existing verizon plan, or something else

Post by Didneywhorl »

Its what we all do. :)

You can definitely add a router to your Verizon account. But the data only plans are exceptionally restrictive. Like 20GB a month for a buncha money more than its worth. IF you just need that, it's perfect. Most of us need more data, so we try trickery to mask the usage as cell phone or tablet usage. This is where the problems arise on the technical side. Sometimes the carriers change things and we scramble before the account gets axed or throttled to oblivion.

Currently tablet plans seem to be the spot for Verizon, though a cell plan is working for some. Visible is the go to for Verizon for most though it isn't a part of your main cell plan.

For ATT most like to get a stand alone tablet plan, post paid, though I've heard that getting it might have changed and become harder as standalone plan, as the "unlimited" tablet/ipad option was always meant to be an add on to a cell unlimited plan. But it still works, if you can get it. ATT is having problems right now with their invisible PROXY servers on both data and cell plans.

All of that is on this forum. It's a gold mine of info, just gotta dig. Many people don't respond to questions because they answered them ad nauseum on here already. Don't get discouraged if no one answers quickly.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

How fast is your verizon phone? Like a speed test is it fast enough for you? If so could tether a verizon phone with one of these routers. Personally doing this some just for couple of my devices. Rest of the house using T-Mobile in a lte router. Do you have tmobile in your area? The easy to use and seem to allow allot of data to be used.
bvwelch

Post by bvwelch »

Thank you for your help.

My use case is for a cabin, sort of a 2nd home office these days. I would like a permanent solution, that I can attach alarm system, etc. I think my data usage may only be 100 Mbytes per day or so -- I am still collecting/monitoring my usage.

yes my old iphone6 as a hotspot - either via lightning/usb tether, or wifi, is plenty fast enough for my needs. I have used this iphone as hotspot with raspberry pi, or gli-net slate, both work fine as routers. But with only 1 phone I have to disconnect when I leave.

Maybe getting a 2nd phone is the best way all around.

thank you
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Based on your usage you could easily go with a Cricket Simply Data plan (AT&T) and compatible device. I use a Netgear LB1120 with the 20GB for $35/mo plan for my internet needs. If you already have a unlocked GSM hotspot or router you can check the IMEI to see if compatible at https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-ph ... ata-device
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello Again,
With how low your usage is might be able to use what this post talks about. There is a Verizon and AT&T option on this.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&p=12511
bvwelch

Post by bvwelch »

About the Cricket -- I presume a modem from Fixlte would be compatible, such as a sierra wireless or quectel.

thanks.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

I don't know about the Quectel but the IMEI from a Sierra EM7565 I have comes back as usable.
bvwelch

Post by bvwelch »

I think I will go with the NEXQ6GO-U and the EP06A modem. And try Cricket, and if that doesnt work out, try adding the router to my existing verizon plan.

I dont know if they would be willing to install the modem and snap in those antennas, but it sure would be great.
toddw

Post by toddw »

I have had good success with the EP06A and ATT for what its worth.
bvwelch

Post by bvwelch »

It is good to hear success story about EP06A and ATT

But I noticed the EM06-A -- is it an improvement over the EP0A? And what about power/current for each? Is a hefty power supply recommended? thank you.
bvwelch

Post by bvwelch »

thanks for all of the great info -- after further study, I've ordered the external usb-pci.e enclosure and the EC25AF. I already have a few routers running openwrt that are on the GO firmware list.
I will likely have questions, but probably should move them to a better place on this forum? For example can I use the GO firmware and the EC25AF, prior to purchasing a sim card, and figure out which providers are available? If not that is OK - I know Verizon works with my phone, and a friend says ATT works. I hope to use Cricket data plan but if that doesnt work out I hope to add this new lte modem to my existing verizon plan as a BYOD?
toddw

Post by toddw »

bvwelch wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:32 am It is good to hear success story about EP06A and ATT

But I noticed the EM06-A -- is it an improvement over the EP0A? And what about power/current for each? Is a hefty power supply recommended? thank you.

I got an NEXQ6GO-U from The Wireless Haven and using that with no issues. I am running the march release of goldenorb and I do have it locked to specific bands via a band profile.
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

MattB29 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:41 pm I don't know about the Quectel but the IMEI from a Sierra EM7565 I have comes back as usable.
I just checked the IMEI from my EM7565 on Cricket and this is no longer the case.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Interesting I just checked my IMEI for the EM7565 that I had started on Cricket last month and it also now gives a incompatibility. Working fine though. I guess I got in under the wire. I do notice that AT&T has a comparable and cheaper option now for prepaid data only. 20GB per month for $25 if bought by the year versus the $35/mo I am paying now. If Cricket stops my account working I will just move on.

BTW the check mentions the incompatibility is due to 3G being shutdown by AT&T. Probably the VoLTE requirement that all these carriers are going to, which does not really affect DATA but they only think about the phone world when it comes to how they set things up.

I checked my Netgear LB1120 and it also say it is incompatible. Clicking the link about why: https://www.cricketwireless.com/support ... tdown.html They mention that this changeover should not affect DATA only LTE devices but the numbnuts obviously do not discriminate. I also see if you attempt to transfer your sim to a new device they deem incompatible that it will not work anymore even if you transfer it back to a device previously working.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Reading through some of the stuff at the support page it looks like I have until February 2022 before I get shutdown even with a LTE compatible device
If action is required, you'll be notified before February 2022. However, we encourage you to upgrade your 3G or non-HD Voice devices as early as possible. Additionally, data-only devices will need to be HD Voice-capable. Upgrading now will allow you to begin taking advantage of our most advanced wireless services. Our spectrum reallocation efforts have begun and will continue between now and February 2022.

It is going to be fun finding a modem that they will allow. Anyone know of which ones are HD Voice compatible?

Return to “Towers, Frequencies and Bands”